The Dark Mod Forums

Animation Test Map

ascottk

test_animation.map is now on cvs. I decided to use the citywatch as the base for most animations. Here's a list so far (AI include citywatch, merc_elite, nobleman, and houseguard):

af_pose

idle
*idle_torch (ascottk)
idle_sword

walk
*walk_torch (ascottk)
run
*run_torch (ascottk)

look_around
drawsword

attack
*attack2 (ascottk)
*attack3 (more of a jab really) (ascottk)

search (Domarius)
throw (Solis)

*cower (ascottk)
surprise_big (Solis)

*painchest (ascottk)
*painhead (ascottk)
*painrightarm (ascottk)
*painleftarm (ascottk)
*death (ascottk)

/* New Solis animations */
alertwalk
blindwalk
waistpain
surprised
failedKO

/* squill animations */
failedKO2
sit_down
anim get_up
anim lay_down

/*************
* actions for fun/jokes/whatever
*************/
*dance1 (ascottk)
*flip (ascottk)
*itch (ascottk)
*nod_head (ascottk)
*shake_head (ascottk)

The ones with the asterisks are new & a lot are extremely raw.

You'll need the most recent citywatch, merc_elite, and houseguard (def, mesh & animations)

I haven't loaded the map yet, but some of these look great. I love the cower! :)

Just a warning about the attack animations--we haven't really firmed up exactly what our plan is in terms of what kind of attacks we need, so it's kind of unknown territory right now--we might decide not to have jabs because they can't be blocked, or something, for example. I just don't want you to spend a lot of time on them and then have us decide to go a different direction. :blush:

I tried the map and I'm amazed you've made such progress in so little time!

Some hopefully constructive criticisms:

Ditto what Spring said on the attacks. These actually have some critical effects on melee combat balancing, so we may have to think about these a lot before deciding on something. Also, the melee system that we want to use isn't even coded yet.

The pain anims: It seems like maybe they could be cringing a little faster than they do, it looks a bit slowed down. Maybe it has to be that way to actually see it, I dunno.

Also, the chest pain one, while it would make sense for a person in an ordinary situation who's just been hit in the chest by something to kind've go "ow, my chest" and rub the spot, it doesn't really make sense for someone who's actually in life or death combat to stop for a second and rub their chest.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the map, the main post (the AI who use these animations & the animators responsible). So summarize:

City Watch, Mercenary Elite, Nobleman, and House Guard:

af_pose

idle
*idle_torch (ascottk)
idle_sword

walk
*walk_torch (ascottk)
run
*run_torch (ascottk)

look_around
drawsword

attack
*attack2 (ascottk)
*attack3 (more of a jab really) (ascottk)

search (Domarius)
throw (Solis)

*cower (ascottk)
surprise_big (Solis)

*painchest (ascottk)
*painhead (ascottk)
*painrightarm (ascottk)
*painleftarm (ascottk)
*death (ascottk)

/* New Solis animations */
alertwalk
blindwalk
waistpain
surprised
failedKO

/* squill animations */
failedKO2
sit_down
anim get_up
anim lay_down

/*************
* actions for fun/jokes/whatever
*************/
*dance1 (ascottk)
*flip (ascottk)
*itch (ascottk)
*nod_head (ascottk)
*shake_head (ascottk)

The map now has the merc_elite & houseguard joining the citywatch in the animation demos.

I also placed an idle animation in between the other animations so you can tell them apart.