The Dark Mod Forums

Animation Assignments

Springheel

(I'm still in the middle of working on this, so it is WIP)

Ok, I think what I'm going to do is hand out assignments for the rest of the animations on our list. If someone finishes up everything I assign them, then we can move things around to give them more to do (I've given fewer animations to the people who are working on tasks in other areas). But I think this is the best way to make sure we don't have people working on the same animation at the same time. Eventually we'll probably want alternate versions, but not until after the list is finished.

This list might include animations you've already finished. If so, let me know and I'll cross them off. Don't use this thread to get feedback, but you can post here whenever you've sent your files to Ascottk and then I'll cross those off your list.

Solis

Run forward, defensive (weapon out, arm up to protect face from arrows)

This is for combattants that are being shot at by the player. They raise their left arm in front of their face to shield it from any arrow shots as they run (weapon held in right hand).

Run away, male/female (panic, no weapon--help meeee!)

This is for civilians who are scared, or for anyone who is panicking because they are hurt. Their weapons have been dropped and they are running for their lives.

Hands up, shrug (how was I supposed to know?)

generic conversation hand movements (so, I was walking down the street one day...)

Death Animation

Only the first half of the animation, ragdoll will take care of the actual collapse to the ground. AI could grab their chest, or sink to their knees, or stagger forward a step or two.

Squill

idle, drunk (swaying back and forth)

idle, drunk, losing balance (while standing, sways and loses balance before catching himself)

walk forward, drunk (lurching from side to side)

Swing weapon, blinded (swinging around wildly hoping to hit something, also used for drunk attack?)

Sleeping, restless (twitching arms or legs as if dreaming, or shifting to get comfortable)

Kneel down, look at floor / get up (go down on one knee to examine blood, body, or something else interesting on the floor--should only spend a second or two in kneeled position)

--alternate version, holding torch/object in left hand

--Interact with object on table (the motion you would make turning the page of a book right to left)

-- same, sitting version

Death Animation

Only the first half of the animation, ragdoll will take care of the actual collapse to the ground. AI could grab their chest, or sink to their knees, or stagger forward a step or two.

Pointing at player (Look, there he is!)

This would be played by an AI who is already alert and on the lookout for the player, and then spots him. Also could be played by AI showing another AI where they last saw the player.

Domarius

Stand, turn 90/180 degrees (a standing guard turning to watch a different direction)

--same, holding torch/object

Frustrated gesture (at unreachable player)

Reach out (waist level, to open door )

Fairly generic action that can be used for lots of different kinds of doors

Death Animation

Look down, scuff floor with boot (so bored.... unalert only)

Scratch back of neck (torso/head channel)

Doug

Panic, standing (for AIs who are cornered and panicked)

The AI is cowering in a corner, possibly wounded, afraid for their life but too tired or cornered to run any further. Arms up to protect themself from the attack they fear is coming.

Panic, crouching (please don't kill me!)

Same thing, but crouching, hiding their face

Rock back and forth on heels (idle only)

based on standing idle pose

Hold out hands (to warm them from a fire or candle)

holding hands palm outwards towards a source of heat (assume table-height), rub hands together.

http://www.nortetrekking.com/images/Warm-Hands-and-Fede1.jpg

shivering from cold

cross arms and rub them from the cold, hunch shoulders, then blow into hands to warm them

http://lloydi.com/travel-writing/sydney200...-at-the-gap.jpg

generic conversational hand gesture (I saw this rat around the corner...)

Death Animation

Fireball (for mages, priests, etc)

AI holds left hand out (half throwing, half pushing), shooting fire from his hand. Right hand holds a weapon/staff. Sort of like the below, but with the left hand.

http://www.santharia.com/pictures/quellion/flash.htm

Kneel down, look at floor / get up (go down on one knee to examine blood, body, or something else interesting on the floor--should only spend a second or two in kneeled position)

--alternate version, holding torch/object in left hand

ah... i was already working on this one.

The shaking fist is actually in already. Next I was going to slash the sword in the air.

Ah - I noticed there are some movement cycles to go still. I volunteer for them, because they are a BITCH to do, but I'm not afraid of them anymore, since I've done a walk, run, and search (though you guys are only using my search one currently)

I recently filmed various types of running from different angles - me and my brother acted it all out, and my other brother got each run type from specific different angles. My body builder brother was doing the guard runs, holding a wooden plank for a sword, and hhehe.... I did the wussy noble runs, because apparently I seemed to be very good at it...

So I have a lot of good resource material to work from. (Which I haven't used in the movement cycles that I made so far yet)

And I'm not afraid of them :)

Well, you have been pretty busy lately, and are working with the templates as well. I'm handing out the assignments based on what people seem to be able to handle currently.

If things keep going at the speed they are, we should be able to finish our list in a reasonable time, and then we can start looking at alternate cycles for walking, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Some questions;

I noticed we all have "death animation" assigned to us? :huh:

Which orientation did we agree to have the fist, for holding generic objects (like a lantern) - horizontally was it?

Is there anything more "crucial" that I can get started on, other than idle animations and other mostly aesthetic ones? I just had the feeling that we are missing out on entire types of animations, and it doesn't seem as important to make another "standing idle" anim or "frustrated" anim.

I think I'll just do another simple idle one (as listed) for now though, while I'm still busy. I'm just thinking about after.

I noticed we all have "death animation" assigned to us?

Yes, we're going to want multiple versions of those.

Which orientation did we agree to have the fist, for holding generic objects (like a lantern) - horizontally was it?

The fist should be held like you would hold a torch.

Is there anything more "crucial" that I can get started on, other than idle animations and other mostly aesthetic ones? I just had the feeling that we are missing out on entire types of animations

What animations do you think we're missing? All the crucial ones on the list (other than combat, which is still WIP) have been completed or assigned.

I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity. I doubt anyone is going to come up with an exact duplicate of anyone else's animation at the same time--you've already had a chance to see Squill's.

There are lots of possibilities--one where the character falls to his knees first, or where he staggers backwards, or whatever.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I've thought of two new movement cycles that should probably be added:

"Cautious Walk"

Not quite a full-out search, but something in between that and a casual stroll. This would be for guards that haven't been fully alerted, but have heard suspicious sounds over behind a bush, for example. The walk would be careful, a little slower than normal, with the hands ready to quickly draw a weapon if there's trouble.

"I guess it was nothing"

To go with that, a hand on hips, standing pose for a guard that was pretty sure he heard something but can't find any stimulus after walking over there and looking around. He's midly perturbed. This would be played just as he stops his cautious walk, and before returning to his regular route.

"Frightened walk"

For civilians who have previously been attacked or otherwise scared. Small steps, a little hunched over, holding their hands in front of them, possibly looking around them rapidly.