The Dark Mod Forums

Townsfolk Male 1

ascottk

He began as a proof of concept in this thread (I'd like to leave that thread open for AI mixing & matching in general):

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5628

& now he's a reality (well . . . virtual reality that is):

townsfolk_male1_game1.jpg

There's the usual rigging issues: shoulders too wide, the arm mesh is clipping.

The textures are borrowed from other AI at the moment & there's no custom head so I'm using the engineer's.

Looking at the screenshot, it looks like the torso's too long & skinny :( But that might be due to perspective & the illusion brought on by the lower half of the tunic. I'd have to take a look at that.

Cool.

The engineer's head doesn't look too bad for a generic old guy. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Been doing a bit of work on this guy. Where do the laces on the chest come from? Looks like they're modelled, but I can't find what texture they use. I'd like to set them as nodraw for some skins.

Been doing a bit of work on this guy. Where do the laces on the chest come from? Looks like they're modelled, but I can't find what texture they use. I'd like to set them as nodraw for some skins.
Those are the thief's:

models/md5/chars/thief/thief
{
surftype15
description "cloth"
noShadows

diffusemap models/md5/chars/thief/thief_d.tga
specularmap	models/md5/chars/thief/thief_s.tga
bumpmap	 models/md5/chars/thief/thief1_local.tga
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white.tga
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 models/md5/chars/thief/thief_d.tga
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

Ascottk, can you tell me what texture and what general area the neck texture comes from on this guy? I keep trying to change the colour but I haven't been able to find where it comes from. Is it part of the Thief texture as well?

Ascottk, can you tell me what texture and what general area the neck texture comes from on this guy? I keep trying to change the colour but I haven't been able to find where it comes from. Is it part of the Thief texture as well?
Look for the word "shader" in the md5mesh. In fact I'll do it for you :laugh:

It's your proguard skin:

shader "models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/old_cloth"

Ascottk, would it be difficult to change the uv-map of that part of the neck? It was part of the chainmail on the original figure, and the uvmap for the chainmail compresses an entire square of texture and tiles it multiple times just on the neck itself. That makes it very difficult to work with. I changed the shader to the town_limbs texture, and you can see that the entire texture is tiled multiple times:

townsfolk3.jpg

I could point to a separate texture just for the neck, but that would be a pain to work with. I don't know anything about making or modifying uv-maps for md5meshes...is it an easy job? Putting it in the bottom left quadrant of the texture would allow it to share the town_limb texture, which seems to make the most sense.

townsfolk4.jpg

Ascottk, would it be difficult to change the uv-map of that part of the neck?

I could point to a separate texture just for the neck, but that would be a pain to work with. I don't know anything about making or modifying uv-maps for md5meshes...is it an easy job? Putting it in the bottom left quadrant of the texture would allow it to share the town_limb texture, which seems to make the most sense.

It'll be a major undertaking & I don't think I can take it!

^_^

No problem. I'll combine the arm & neck meshes so they share the same uv & material. I'll upload the new md5mesh & post the new uv map on the forum after I'm done . . . next week . . . ;)

Ah now I get it :) You accidently posted your lantern example. Or there is some problem with forum attachments.
Nope :huh: When I want to post a 640x480 screenshot as a forum attachment, I have no idea whether or not it's going to work. Instead I have to upload it ftp or imageshack then link to it in the forum <_<

Getting close to finishing the first generic texture. I've noticed a couple strange shadow issues on the back of the tunic. At first I thought it was just the townsfolk, but then I noticed that the citywatch has them too. I'm not quite sure what's causing them, but it's worth adding to the "fix sometime in the future" list.

tunic_problems.jpg

Something on the townsfolk that needs to be adjusted as well is the belt. The position looks good in the front, but the back is now too high (you can see the gap between the two parts of the tunic). Don't know if the belt can be tilted down at the back without moving it much from the front?

Yep, looks like a classic case of incorrect normals to me. You can edit them manually in Maya... somewhere in Edit Polygons -> Normals I think.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Ok, here are two versions of the basic, generic townsfolk texture. I've spent most of my time on improving the normal-maps--I don't think Corth modelled the arms and legs in high-poly first, so I've been working at adding details to them after-the-fact. I also made a new bearded skin for one of the D3 heads, which works well as a generic civilian.

My plan is to work on a few different variations and accessories that can mix and match for more variety.

townsfolk5.jpg

Here's a link to a better-lit version.

http://www.mindplaces.com/save/townsfolk6.jpg

Cool! A couple more colour schemes and heads and hats and we'll finally have a good selection of townsfolk. :)

Now I just need to get a move on with the new AI framework so I can start on the non-combatant behaviour...