The Dark Mod Forums

Problem with commode model

Springheel

I've noticed that our commode model ( http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/screen15.jpg )

has some strange shadow problems. I just checked out the uvmap and it's a mess. I suspect that might be causing the problem, though I'm not sure. Modellers, does this look right to you?

uv3.jpg

It could look right. Unfortunately it's an .lwo and all the ones I've imported so far end up with no uvw mapping at all, so I can't check.

I looked at the texture, and everything is in the right spots according to your pic here. That's the legs bunched up at the bottom there. Lots of polys from a shaped 4 sided leg sharing the same wood, so it looks kindof ugly in the uv view but looks fine in game. From the top of them in bottom left corner is top of legs stretched up to the marble, I'd have probably seperated them to map (instead of strecth) but again, looks fine in game.

I also see weird shadows, also on the GFClock, I think that has to do with smoothing groups. Should be fixed in 3d 1 of 2 ways. Add a smooth modifier (in max auto would be fine at a low setting, would give sharp edges) or probably better so D3 can't smooth it would be to seperate each side from the main model, much like you would do for seperate materials.

--EDIT--

What do ya know. I tried to convert it and it worked this time. Got it in max with uv's intact. applied material, all good. used smooth modifier, tested in game, no more weird shadows.
Uploaded toi SVN as commode1.ase

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I took a look at your new version. It does fix the problem, but it might be just a bit TOO 'unsmoothed' now. The edges are quite jagged and pixelated. We probably need something somewhere in between.

commodes.jpg

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though. :) I'll play around with the smoothing and see what I can do.

Well, it's fixed now.

I noticed that the dresser02 model might have a similar problem, but it's an .ase so I can't open it.

Ok, thanks! Try to leave a little bit of smoothing--just reduced enough to get rid of the problem areas. :)