The Dark Mod Forums

using dds, material files not up to date

Baddcog

OK, haven't had much luck getting dds files to work on objects.

tried reloaddecls in DR but I get 'couldn't load....'

So I opened up tdm_metal_flat.mtr so I could copy paths or whatever I had wrong and get my obj working.

Looks like all the metals in this file (haven't looked into others) still have paths to the textures file where the tga's were.

Anyway, I can't get them to work so I won't mess with the file, it probably needs done though.

Here's the material I can't get to work. the editor image and the diffuse won't load or show. bumpmap works fine. I just have a black lamp pole with bumps and a little spec.

bc_lamp
//testing new materials
{
metal
noselfshadow
qer_editorimage dds/textures/darkmod/metal/flat/steel_scratched01

diffusemap  dds/textures/darkmod/metal/flat/solid_rust01.dds
{
	blend   specularmap 
	map	 _white
	rgb	 0.25
}
{
  blend bumpmap
  map   heightmap(models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lamp_h, 4)
}
}

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

You don't need to add the dds/ path prefix to your material definitions, this will be done automatically by the D3 engine. Just act as if the file was located in the TGA textures/ tree, your DDS will be found.

This appears unintuitive, and I think that could've been solved better by iD software, but oh well.

This appears unintuitive, and I think that could've been solved better by iD software, but oh well.

I think it's more a conflict between the way DDS was designed to be used and the way we are attempting to use it -- ID intended for this to be a transparent cache of compressed textures that would otherwise be created automatically from the TGA originals, and did not intend for DDS to be used as the primary or sole source of textures.

I tried without the dds/ also but got the same error.

Try to leave of the ".dds" at the end, too :) (All the examples I have seen leave it off)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

tried that also

Did you make the DDS files by yourself? I remember that I had trouble a DDS file to show up when creating it with Gimp - choosing the right compression or so seemed to be tricky. Also, make sure you restart doom, and not do just "reloadDecals" as I found that sometimes D3 didn't really reload everything as it should.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

No, just using flat metal textures out of the Dm folder. I've also restarted, but I can change specular on that material, reloadDecls and see it change in view. So the spec is working, I've just copied that material to the props/tex folder for now but would like to make some progress with the dds files.

Has anyone looked at tdm_metal_flat.mtr yet? I'd like confirmation that they do need to change.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Try this:

bc_lamp
//testing new materials
{
metal
noselfshadow
qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/metal/flat/steel_scratched01

diffusemap textures/darkmod/metal/flat/solid_rust01
{
	blend   specularmap 
	map	 _white
	rgb	 0.25
}
{
  blend bumpmap
  map   heightmap(models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lamp_h, 4)
}
}

BTW, why do you want a different material to show up in the editor (qer_editorimage) as the diffuse?

I just checked both textures and they do work correctly, even in the editor, so at least we know it is not them.