The Dark Mod Forums

Baddcog's Bots sound thread

Baddcog

I need some sounds for the lantern bot now as I've got his af working.

Needs some good footstep sounds. Right now he 'clicks' when he walks but he's almost waist high so he's gotta be fairly heavy. Needs more of a clunk.

Also needs some grinding gear sounds that will run all the time.

Needs a good steam whistle sound when he finds the player.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Have you looked through the default D3 sounds? There are a lot of mechanical sounds that might work.

awesome, he's ready to play with if you wanna get an idea what sounds would be good. I'll do some searching to to see if we,ve got anything suitable for him.

I know we need a good steam whistle. I found a steam whistle on line and it'll do for now, but it's not very good quality.

Yeah, go ahead and upload it to the FTP, Sound src repository or the beta mapper repository. I have something complete now for the alert, but I need at least two more variations.

Quick question: baddcog.map is making is hard to tell how the steam is coming out of it what with the void and all. Does it come out in timed puffs or is it a constant thing? If it put out puffs every second or so, it'd be more "exciting" and distinct from a sound standpoint. I'm getting the idea that being spotted by this thing is Real Bad News.

Yeah, go ahead and upload it to the FTP, Sound src repository or the beta mapper repository. I have something complete now for the alert, but I need at least two more variations.

Quick question: baddcog.map is making is hard to tell how the steam is coming out of it what with the void and all. Does it come out in timed puffs or is it a constant thing? If it put out puffs every second or so, it'd be more "exciting" and distinct from a sound standpoint. I'm getting the idea that being spotted by this thing is Real Bad News.

I thought I had him already to go yesterday, but I spent today figuring out the IK and getting it tuned in.

Baddcog.map is seriously out of date, something got messed up in all the reorgs way back. I should delete it.

I uploaded lanternbot.map just now. It'll just take a moment to dmap so I didn't upload all the files.

Yeah, the steam puff happens every 20-30 frames depending on anim, more often when he's idle although the difference is small.

There's a little cap on the pipe that pops open when the steam releases, maybe a little click for it's closing?

Kindof a cool way to see where he's at though, you can watch his light from behind a wall or see the steam over a ledge :D

Currently he might seem a little buggy, you almost have to stand right in front of him to alert him, he used to work better but I think some Ai work has been done/will be done still. That's all above my ability.

Anyway, you'll know when he sees ya!

I'll see if I can locate that sound, it's been awhile. Mainly all he needs is a good loud steam whistle for the alert, clunky feet and some grinding gears.

Thanks!

I do have a combot in progress also, the gear sounds can deffinately be used on both, maybe the feet too, but the next one will be large.

We'll have to see how he comes out to find a suitable 'voice'.

The .proc file is just one of the files resulting from the map compilation process. They're sometimes left off SVN because they can get reasonably large for big maps. Type dmap mapname into the Doom 3 console to compile the map yourself; then you can type map mapname as usual to play it.

Or, combine both in one step with testmap mapname

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I haven't done any sound shaders at all. I can look into it though.

My thoughts on the sounds.

The whistle is too quick and sounds more like a wood flute to me. I'm thinking more of a ships fog horn. Loud penetrating whistle. His main job is to alert the guards so it needs to be really strong.

The Idle, I don't know. There's one really loud clunk that I don't think really fits. Sounds like a snare drum, but the grinding noises in the back would probably work.

I know I sound like I'm contradicting myself here a bit. But I think the whistle needs to be loud and strong while the bot's mechanisms need to sound fragile and clockworking. More ticky less clunky.

The Combot will be alot more clunky and heavy. But his voice won't need to be as strong 'cause he's not alerting anyone, he'll be a fighter.

------------

I searched again and got lucky :D I found the perfect whistle. Better than I had heard before, it's really kindof creepy :D

I can't upload it to my cheap ass free site though, can I email it to ya?

I did edit some of it down, it's too long but has several blasts. The first blast is really good but there is a shorter blast that might work too.

2 MB for un-edited wav, the edited mp3 is about 200k. You'd probably want the source, I imagine you'll want to clean it and save to a certian file type/compression.

Email's fine. directstream@gmail.com -- send the entire original WAV if it allows you, or just upload to the sound directory on the FTP. The details are here.

A ship horn might sound strange, but I'll give it a go. I basically had to stretch and sequence one sole whistle sample I had, which I'd guess was from a small boat or something. With longer chunks, I'll have a bit more freedom to pitch shift as necessary. I can use various sequences of pitch-shifted "toots" to build a palette that can indicate the various states of the bot. It might be interesting to actually go that route with the whistle rather than a spoken voice -- using various sequences and tones to represent vocalizations.

The snare-sounding hits in the idle are actually steam blasts which I made before I was able to see what the steam puffs looked like. They can be cut and attenuated to make them seem more scaled-back and reasonable. No big deal there.

My bad, it's actually a train steam whistle. It sounds exactly like what I hads imagined he would sound like, but maybe a little creepier which is good.

Like I said long and short blasts. The long blect at beginning I think sounds good for an alert.

I emailed it. Kindof an FTP dummy. I got the sound directory open and tried to drag/drop but it just opened quicktime in that window. Didn't see any instructs on that link for actually uploading it.

Yeah, I think the steam should be more of a 'puff' sound, it's a pretty small puff and kindof slow.

Also, he is just using demon footsteps or something so it's more clicky. His feet should probably make a stronger noise than that but not too loud, he's fairly delicate.

I'll try and set-up a sound shader now just so I know what that's all about.

--------------

edit

just found that original sound I had, it was in my sound folder but I never uploaded it. Probably the last place I would've looked.

Anyway it's SVn in sound/voice/bots/alarm/bot_whistle

I don't like it as much as the one I sent email though. It's too high pitch, might be good for a little overlay or short blast. Might also come in handy for a general inventors steam whistle alarm apart from bots.

edit-edit

OK, I added a sound shader for bot with 2 sounds, they can be changed, they need file extensions. I suppose we are using oggs all the way around?

monster_steambot_idle_01

monster_steambot_alert_01