The Dark Mod Forums

NVIDIA - Forceware 169.xx drivers break DOOM3 and T2/SS2

Bikerdude

UPDATE 13-01-08:

I have tested doom 3 with the 1.3.x patch and the latest nvidia forceware beta 169.28 and doom3 now works again.

But thief2 is still broken, the main menu/cursor is still corrupt and when you try to start a game it crashed to desktop...

ORIGINAL 29-12-07:

Its been reported that Doom3 is broken under forceware drivers 169.21 and above under WinXp. The game is corrupted in both the menu and in-game, this also effects T2/SS2.

I have found multiple instances of this drive breaking upto another dozen games on the nVidia forum

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=18

biker

I must say that the drivers for the 8800 GTS were nothing but a disappointment... First the scaling doesn't work properly, so I can't use any other Resolution on my TFT besides the native 1680x1050. Then I tried a fix, which disables hdcp support, but no luck here either. Also when I bought this gfx card, there weren't even drivers out for it for vista and since then they didn't manage to bring up a decent driver at all... I prefer XP anyway, so that's not that much of a problem for me.

Though I must say, that I have been using the 169 driver generation since about one and a half months and I got no gfx bugs in any games, including Gears of War, CoD 4, MoH:Airborne, Stalker, which are supposed to be games that have problems with that driver. Didn't check Doom 3, Thief 2 and Timeshift though. I only had gfx bugs on some alphamaps in Soldier of Fortune 3, which is hilariously worse by the way (yes, I know I used the comparative wrong here, but it just reflects the quality of this fabulous game the best way).

LOL! Great job nvidia, keep up the good work. Sometimes I wonder if they just have two guys, cut off from the rest of the world, with limited resources and no testing at all, developing the driver updates.

That sounds like the development practice for the ATI Linux drivers.

I've usually found NVidia drivers to be pretty good... not that I update mine very often. They've always just seemed to work. Maybe they're getting worse lately; if so, that's a shame.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

169.04 works fine for me. Doom 3 works just fine -- menus included. Ultra mode works fine.

Well Im seriously considering selling my 8800GTX and getting a Powercolour HD3870, and then updating the bios and then wacking on a Thermaltake dual-orb cooler so I can get close the level of the GTX.

I will then have 101% compatabilty, stars, fog, sky, shadows....

The powercolour is one of the fastest 3871 @ 800core/2250mem, and with the bios update I take the core upto 900 and the mem upto 2400, and the dual-orb should keep it nice and cool 35-40c idle and 55-60c load from what I have read, and its far quieter than the stadard crap cooler. And to top it off the powercolour can be had for £143inc the dual-orb is £21inc

biker

• 2 weeks later...

I have tested doom 3 with the 1.3.x patch and the latest nvidia forceware beta 169.28 and doom3 now works again.

But thief2 is still broken, the main menu/cursor is still corrupt and when you try to start a game it crashed to desktop... But the DDfix'd version is fine with the 169.28 driver... wierd..

biker

You have my sympathies. :(

Graphics drivers. Hate 'em.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

But thief2 is still broken, the main menu/cursor is still corrupt and when you try to start a game it crashed to desktop...

biker

This is a secret plot by The Dark Mod BlacOps[tm], we silently force you to play TDM by breaking T2. Neat, huh?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax