The Dark Mod Forums

I've secured permission to use John P's textures...

AluminumHaste

I politely asked John P that since he didn't have time to help us out, that we could use his assets that he created for Thief DS.

He courteously assented. Here is his email to me:

Hi.

Yes, I've heard of the TheDarkMod. I was invited to join at the outset but declined, but if I recall correctly I did contribute a few door textures early on, although I dont know if they decided to use them or not.

People can use my Thief DS assets freely; the only thing I'm "worried about" is people taking credit for my work. So some mention of my name would be nice.

There is a potential problem here though. I started remaking game textures for my own use at first, but then later decided to share them. And so it snowballed from there. My textures for Thief DS are very closely based on the original textures (well, at least the character textures), and so even though I've remade them (or 'refurbished' them) there may be a copyright problem there if they are used outside of Thief DS. I don't know this for a fact, just something I came to think of. Most of the world textures were remade from scratch though, and should be fine either way.

Lately I haven't been up to much when it comes to graphics, but I've started to paint with acrylics on canvas, so in other words a departure toward more 'artsy' stuff.

Cheers,

John P.

My only concern at this point is whether or not his assets are usable (which I personally think they are), but also whether they infringe on any copyrights, but since Eidos holds the copyrights not Ion Storm, I might ask their permission. Although, as John pointed out, the textures are "based" on original assets created by the Ion Storm team, so that needs to be taken into account.

I'm sure you guys have already discussed this at great length, but I was playing Thief 3 with his texture pack as few days ago, and thought that it is such a waste that hardly anybody is going to see his work, and that it would be a good opportunity to get our hands on some finished (and dare I say, professional) assets.

Please leave any comments and/or thoughts.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Where are they located? I would say the only reasonable thing to do is download them and assess each individually.

I've already downloaded them, there don't appear to be any specular maps, but that's fine. They are all DDS and all come with Diffuse and Normal maps so named with _d and _n.

All textures together come to about 169 MB once unpacked.

In order to get the assets, run the installer and it will install to a base directory that you choose. It will then run the game patcher but will fail because the game isn't installed (if you do have the game installed, just hit cancel).

then go to that directory and the textures will be in the streamingtextures folder.

I've gone through the list and picked some that are useful, compared them against those in TDS to see which are simply modifications (can't use) or essentially new textures. The remaining list is pretty small, but there is a small handful that should make good additions.

My favorite is the rock texture that is from the beachhouse mission. It looked amazing in the screenshots.