The Dark Mod Forums

Congratulations on your mod !

Gambit

Hello,

I´m Gambit, from TTLG, and I have been watching the DARK MOD construction since Thieve´s Den Alpha Demo. This is a big and professional mod on par with the best mod teams on the gaming community like "Afraid of Monsters" and "Black Mesa: Source".

I even made a little map myself, very small, basic and without objectives althought I loved making rooms with it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/171193198/gambit.map.htm

I also wonder about the possibilities of using Doom spawning technology to introduce randomness.

In Left 4 Dead enemies and items are always spawned randomly during each gameplay. I wonder if the Mod could do the same with guards and loot.

So you could, for example, just leave possible patrol routes and when you play the map you will find a coin in place A with 2 guards patrolling near it. And then restarting the game you may find a guard in place A and another with the coin in place B.

Well, congratulations on your work ! You guys deserve all the praise !

Thanks! :)

There are definitely some possibilities for that kind of randomness. We already have the potential for random pathing, where guards may or may not proceed directly to the next pathnode.

Thanks for your kind words Gambit.

Interesting that you mentioned randomness, there was a thread recently where the subject of random spawns etc. happening in TDM, came up. I'm going to try to see what I can do when I get some work done.

Welcome to the forums btw. ;)

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Yes, there must be several ways. Just a quick look and I see there is s & r to spawn an entity and that has randomness - though I've not tried that particular effect.

Just been wandering through your map. As you say, very basic but it's a good start of the learning process and even though small, you have made a complete map with the limited Den resources. This is the ideal size to start with - not too ambitious. Hope you persist, and with some guidance here, will improve. Not sure if you want a critique but it's boxy, too open-spaced without interesting architectural features but the layout is OK. Texturing scale can be improved here and there and so on but all that will come with practice and guidance.

If you are interested in proceeding with mission-making in earnest then now is the time to start building FMs for the future. The Saint Lucia mission provides a lot more resources. The emphasis on beta mapping is coming to an end and we are now looking for real missions to be built!

What is your inclination? Do you want to complete this mission with help? We can make suggestions. I would recommend it so you have some simple objectives, small story and one or two readables to carry it.

Or begin anew? Have you followed the A-Z complete guide to mission building at

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...uide_Start_Here!

And of course the editing forum at

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showforum=54

Thanks for the help Fidcal !

I have made the entire map with the help of your A-Z begginer guide.

I´m now going to improve the map with the new Santa Lucia resources and give it a story/readables/objectives. It will serve as a stepping base to understand the Dark Mod mapping.