The Dark Mod Forums

Origins moved on prefab insertion.

If I re-insert my cabinet prefab I see three rogue origins separated from the main prefab. No rotation here just an insertion. In the attached image the original cabinet is below and the prefab inserted above. One changed origin is the desk carcase - just a brush shell entity. I tried this on its own and it re-inserts OK. Its origin is central. In case it was to do with layer selection I tried that as well but it was OK. So presumably it's to do with some conflict within the complexity of the main prefab. I'll try this in DoomEd to see how it handles it.

post-400-1231929078_thumb.jpg

More on this. The problem is not in the prefab but either selection or layer related or some deletion error I made. There is another problem too which is likely the same cause.

I have updated test/cabinets.map. When I tried reducing it to its simplest I had other problems so best not to change it.

ORIGINS PROBLEM:

If you load the map in DR and select all layers beginning with 'desk' then drag the lot well clear into open space then three origins are left behind. These do not show at this stage because of the way layer selection works I guess. Deselect then LMB drag a brush around the desk to select them by the normal method. Now you see the offset and the three origins that are left behind show.

CROSS-LAYER DELETION PROBLEM:

I'm more inclined to think this is the same problem. I was trying to delete the contents of all the other layers to only leave the desk but after I found the desk carcase was deleted. Reload the map. If you hide all but deskcarcase then you can see what should be in there. If you hide all layers then show default and select default then delete all selections then show deskcarcase again it is gone. Thinking I had got it in two layers I checked but visually no desk carcase in default. But if I select default now I can see 3 origins and sometimes 4 (which comes and goes depending on view)

So what seems to have happened at some stage I would have moved the desk carcase from default into deskcarcase and some origins got left. Maybe it was to do with deleting an entity while only part of it was selected? Either way I think I can probably repair this instance of the problem. But see what you think might be the likely cause and whether it should still go on tracker.

Select all layers beginning with 'desk' then drag them all well clear into open space. Deselect then reselect by LMB dragging a brush around them. Now you see the offset and the three origins that are left behind. Those origins seem to be in the default layer.

It's not so much causing the error as revealing it. I do not know the cause but it seems there are 3 or 4 origins that are in the default layer and the entities in one of the desks layers. The more I think about it I wonder if it was caused by my moving the entities to another layer while only having the brush of the entity selected?

I've now fixed my problem. Don't know if there's any value is some sort of trap to prevent mappers making this mistake? That is a test when moving to another layer to see if a brush is part of an entity? But then it could be part of a multi-selection of dozens of items.

All doors and handles seem OK in-game but I must check every target, bind, etc just to make sure. DR seems pretty robust now in that respect from what I've seen recently. Next will be to test rotating. I think it must be impossible for brush doors to rotate and translate correctly first time. So I'll possibly make 4 prefabs facing N, S, E, W.