no sound in standalone linux [solved]

5 replies to this topic

#1 dsmithhfx

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I've got TDM standalone running in openssuse 12.2, but can't get sound (and FWIW I can't even get it to launch in Fedora 18). The wiki FAQ seems more geared to doom 3 dependency. There's no "dmargs.txt" to apply recommended audio settings. When I created this file, it made no difference. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by Springheel, 13 October 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#2 PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

Try this post: http://forums.thedar...post__p__301081
You may also want to try adding 'pasuspender' to the path, such as:
pasuspender ./thedarkmod.x86
Check this post too:
http://forums.thedar...post__p__301420

Edited by PranQster, 11 October 2013 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image Linux pranqster 3.17.0-server-0.rc3.1.mga5 #1 SMP Wed Sep 3 01:23:14 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#3 Vadi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

I have a similar issue - Ubuntu 12.04, the sound is lagging by several minutes (really!). It won't start for a while and when it does, it's playing back things from several minutes ago.

I tried pasuspender (something I haven't had to do for a while now...), but it didn't help. The terminal output was spammed with idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 4096 frames overflowed and dropped.

#4 LordSavage

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

View PostVadi, on 12 October 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

I have a similar issue - Ubuntu 12.04, the sound is lagging by several minutes (really!). It won't start for a while and when it does, it's playing back things from several minutes ago.

I tried pasuspender (something I haven't had to do for a while now...), but it didn't help. The terminal output was spammed with idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 4096 frames overflowed and dropped.

It's a while ago since I used Linux as my main OS but you could try to run it with the oss drivers instead of alsa.
+set driver_s oss

#5 Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've had this problem on Ubuntu (XUbuntu 13.04). Unfortunately the advice to use +set driver_s oss has an unfortunate side effect: it permanently sets oss as the driver (which won't work on Ubuntu -- backwards compatibility is clearly not the name of the game).

The following works for me:
  • Edit darkmod/Darkmod.cfg and ensure the s_driver line reads seta s_driver "best" -- this seems to restore default behaviour, allowing the next line to work:
  • Launch the game with the command darkmod/thedarkmod.x86 +set s_alsa_pcm sysdefault:CARD=PCH . The last value is found by running aplay -L and throwing a dice (for me, this is the first result after default).
Even with the above I sometimes don't get sound, but I think this only happens when some other application is trying to use audio. For example, if I play a youtube video and then try to run TDM I get no sound if I don't kill some browser windows first.

Alas, Linux sound is a mess.

Edited by Araneidae, 12 October 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#6 dsmithhfx

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

The pasuspender seemed to decisively fix the issue. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users