• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

Well I'm looking at the blend you're talking about Neons and I'm just not sure how they could implement any kind of painting with patches. I could see it working if the terrain patches in question could be turned into models inside DR, but that sounds like a nightmare operation in and of itself. Something that would be kinda interesting would be a height gradient blend mode. Where vertex z coords register create a heightmap (high areas getting a white coverage). It would likely establish the zeroed point of the selection to a center of origin, which could make gradient confinement unpredictable.

The proposed method would be something like an additional selection conversion type with the DR right click (kinda like set to static option). It would have several functions to handle that mode. Being a convert to model and a gradient based vertex color option handled in one click conversion. You probably would have to enable that as a finishing step, and would also have to setup a two stage vertex blend material in order to see the blend occur at run time. I doubt painting vertex colors in DR would be an easy feat which is why I suggest range based gradient. Possibly could have an adjustable center of origin to control gradient intensity?

That's the most realistic based operation I could see being implemented. Tell me your thoughts on this one guys?

Edited by Epifire, 14 May 2017 - 06:00 PM.

Needing dem environment models?

Speak to the EPI!

Or rummage my online mesh repository instead...  https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7q1r8him1y63d/TDM%20Repository

#27 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4921 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

It is not really realistic as it suffers the same issue. If I understand you correct you want to use blend on non-models. This won't work without changing the map format.

The only way to use blend is on models, and with the DR ASE Blend exporter there is actually a way to do this in DR for over three years now (see here). The only downside is that you have to write the material file for it. However, this is explained in the articles and there are example materials there, which you can copy and just have to change the image paths for the diffuse etc... Should be doable even for a non-coder.

So the only advantage to this would be a script which does this automatically. It performs the blend and sets up the material. This is doable. But again, you can't avoid using models (and I don't see why this is a problem actually).

• Epifire likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#28 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:13 AM

It is not really realistic as it suffers the same issue. If I understand you correct you want to use blend on non-models. This won't work without changing the map format.

My proposed solution is a script that would convert the patch to a model and then establish a generic modifier on the finished shape (with a script). What really makes me curious is could vertex color data be authored by a non-modeler app? Because you'd be applying black and white vertex color conversion from bounding measurements along a single axis. Otherwise you're stuck trying to implement a whole vertex painting UI and toolset which just seems like an absurd undertaking.

Running with that design concept you'd create the said patch and when finished with the shape you'd convert the patch with the new script. The only other thing that would have to be defined somehow is axis selection and an invert color option. Otherwise I think we're starting to see the same point.

Needing dem environment models?

Speak to the EPI!

Or rummage my online mesh repository instead...  https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7q1r8him1y63d/TDM%20Repository

#29 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4921 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:49 AM

My idea was, that at bounderies where patches with different materials applied meat blending is applied. I guess this would be relatively easy if it would be restricted to the usage of two materials, although more are generally possible. The major restriction with the approach I have in mind is that the vertices have to meet up. This is not an big issue when using patches, but mappers using it would to have to keep this in mind. Letting go of this restriction would require way more math.

However, implementing it would only make sense if I would assume that it would get used afterwards. People where already praising me for the DR Blend Exporter but I don't know if it got used at all.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users