• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#51 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

So where do I get these freebie ones from and how do I incorporate it with Doom3? As you can see I'm new to this. Are there any online tutorials for all this stuff and I don't mean the sticky topic linked to DOOM3 forums.
ZylonBane's confession about himself:
"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

#52 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:47 AM

Google is your friend.
Gerhard

#53 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hehehe... I know, but how do I incorporate with Doom3?

Edit: http://www.blender.o...ender.31.0.html ?

Edited by Arumakani, 15 May 2006 - 09:54 AM.

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

#54 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7641 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

If you've made any good models with Blender, then I'll give your opinion more weighting. Even then, I'll say that you wasted your time learning an esoteric interface when you could have learned something more mainstream which will benefit you in the long run when you upgrade to a more powerful modelling program.

I may not have created anything spectacular in Blender, but plenty of people have. Whether Blender has a similar interface to other "mainstream" apps is almost entirely irrelevant, since the skill in modelling is not knowing the specific interface of the 3D app, but knowing the techniques involved in creating an advanced model which are the same in any modeller.

In fact, once people actually get to know Blender's interface, rather than blowing it off because it doesn't have standard widgets and configurable keyboard shortcuts (the horror!) they find it is actually very streamlined and allows you to get work done with very little hassle.

#55 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

Has anyone tried the Thief DS editor? Is it any good?

What do you guys reckon of this texture pack. Scroll down and tell me:

http://www.john-p.co...-DS/index.shtml

#56 ZylonBane

ZylonBane

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

What the hell do either of those questions have to do with third-person in TDM?

#57 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7641 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

There's an EDITOR for THIEF ????!!!!!

#58 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:00 PM

What the hell do either of those questions have to do with third-person in TDM?

<_< Nothing, however if I use these get an idea of designing Thief Style levels using Thief DS stuff then move onto the DarkMod, it may be useful. ;)

#59 ZylonBane

ZylonBane

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

Then learn DromEd.

#60 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

And what exactly does DromEd has to do with TDM/Doom 3 mapping?
Gerhard

#61 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

:D You guys have to stick to a topic 100%. Does DromEd help with Thief DS aswell as 1&2?

sparhawk, how does one incorporate blender into the darkmod or Doom3 editor?

#62 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

You must read some tutorials. You don't incorporate Blender into D3. You create models with it and then use some tools to export them. It's not really complicated but you have to learn it.

http://www.doom3worl...wforum.php?f=50
Gerhard

#63 ZylonBane

ZylonBane

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

And what exactly does DromEd has to do with TDM/Doom 3 mapping?

It incubates within the mapper the proper mindset to begin TDM mapping.

#64 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:13 AM

Actually DromEd couldn't be further from Doom 3. DromEd is centered around subtractive modelling, Doom 3 is additive. DromEd you have to make sure you only subtract what you need (not subtract a huge air block and then fill it with things), while Doom 3 all you have to worry about is placing vis portals in the right places.

I THOUGHT the modelling questions were in reference to Arumakani's desire to model and animate a thief in preperation for making a third person feature, but seems he's actually interested in level editing, and should have started a new thread.

#65 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:33 AM

I think the key phrase ZylonBane was responding to was "Thief Style levels." Studying how T1/2 FMs are constructed in DromEd and attempting to construct your own would be valuable experience in stealth gameplay design (where to place loot, AI patrol routes, etc). The Doom3 editor would of course be a good technical introduction to actually implementing your map geometry designs in TDM.

#66 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:49 AM

Yeah...... but you can get the same design insight more easily by just playing the FMs. Firing up DromEd and having to peer through a mess of geometry wireframes, (and individual patrol points, instead of actually watching the guard follow them) would just complicate things.

#67 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:18 AM

Domarius, I want to do the 3rd person in the dark mod, but am looking to work my way upto it. ANimate the 3rd person aswell as creating levels. Would it be easier to start off straight with Doom 3 stuff or work my way up?

#68 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7641 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:02 AM

Learning Dromed before Doom 3 would be like learning C before C++. Unhelpful and counterproductive.

Playing a lot of Thief-style levels is certainly a good idea, as well as developing fundamental skills in modelling and texture creation.

#69 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:08 AM

Learning Dromed before Doom 3 would be like learning C before C++. Unhelpful and counterproductive.

Playing a lot of Thief-style levels is certainly a good idea, as well as developing fundamental skills in modelling and texture creation.

Where would I get the knowledge to learn this? I have time to learn, and am quite capable.

#70 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7641 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:11 AM

http://www.doom3worl...hpbb2/index.php

#71 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:15 AM

Character modelling & animation, and level design and archetecture, are two entirely different things.

At most, all they share is keeping poly count low, and that's not saying much at all.

#72 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:23 AM

If you never looked at a 3D app, it doesn't really matter where you start, because you have to learn basic skills at first anway.
Gerhard

#73 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:33 AM

But he wants to animate characters, so he wants 3DS or Maya, or Blender or Wings3D at least. Starting in a level editor, which has a completely different interface and a completely different modeling paridigm will purely be a waste of time.

#74 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:51 AM

So you guys help me out. My goal is to eventually make a 1st and 3rd person game version of Thief style game. I would like to do it witht he Dark Mod. How would I start? What programmes etc to use and study? If you give me an idea step by step, I won't be bothering you with this anymore, promise !!

#75 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:59 AM

You must define what you want to do. 1st and 3rd person is not a goal, especially since both is already available. What is it you want to do? Create a Thief style mission? Then focus on level editing. You eventually have to still learn a 3D app, to create assets that are missing or specific for your mission.
Gerhard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users