The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie startup questions

namuh1

Hi All,

After attempting to follow the chain of 'Getting Started Guides' for both gaming and editing, I've arrived at an impasse. The Quick Start in the Wiki for the DarkRadiant gets you to the point of setting the Paths and bringing up the editor and says.... Just open a map and take a look. So..... Where are the maps... I have only .pk4 files in all of the folders that correspond to the FM's that I've downloaded. I have tried opening the editor alone and along with the game running in a window. I've tried starting the game first and also starting the editor first.... none of these sequences results in any .map files or any other file types that the DarkRadiant recognizes.

Also an ancillary question: The startup guides for the FM's themselves indicate that once installed a mission remains installed but I don't find that to be the case. I wind up having to Re-install the mission I want to play each and every time I start up the game??

Any and all Help appreciated!

If you are having to re-install every time it sounds like you are launching Dark Mod direct rather than launching tdmlauncher.exe. Set up a shortcut to tdmlauncher.exe (it's in the darkmod folder) and then it should be OK.

The maps are in the pk4 files. For example, doom3\chalice\chalice.pk4. Extract it into that chalice folder and then navigate to it in Dark Radiant. Each game folder has its own maps folder. Note that Dark Radiant will not show any custom assets unless you also set the fs_game folder in the Dark Radiant menu > edit > preferences > game panel to the name of that folder, eg, chalice (you have to relaunch DR to get it to work.)

Thanks for the quick reply:

If you are having to re-install every time it sounds like you are launching Dark Mod direct rather than launching tdmlauncher.exe. Set up a shortcut to tdmlauncher.exe (it's in the darkmod folder) and then it should be OK.

The maps are in the pk4 files. For example, doom3\chalice\chalice.pk4. Extract it into that chalice folder and then navigate to it in Dark Radiant. Each game folder has its own maps folder. Note that Dark Radiant will not show any custom assets unless you also set the fs_game folder in the Dark Radiant menu > edit > preferences > game panel to the name of that folder, eg, chalice (you have to relaunch DR to get it to work.)

Unfortunately, I AM using the tdmlauncher.exe in the darkmod folder. Both from a shortcut to it on my desktop and by launching it directly from the darkmod folder. Something that I failed to mention that may have an effect is that I'm using the Doom engine from Steam and therefore have the darkmod folder etc. installed rather deeply into the Steam tree.

As far as the .maps, I apologize as I didn't realize that the .pk4's could be extracted or how to do it. I assumed that the Dark Mod mechanics would be doing that behind the scenes when a Mod FM was installed.

So I'm one step closer but still unable to explain the 're-install' each time issue unless it relates to the Steam tree.

As to the fs_game folder, do you mean the dialog on first startup and if so, that folder path is mentioned 2x and I've set both fields to it...

Edited by namuh1

The game setting is shown automatically when you first install Dark Radiant. But you can set it in the menu > edit > preferences > Game too.

If you have all your maps and mission files in the doom3\darkmod folder then it should look like this:

Mod (fs_game) darkmod

Mod_base (fs_game_base, optional) [blank]

If you are editing a map in its own game folder eg, doom3\chalice then it should look like this:

Mod (fs_game) chalice

Mod_base (fs_game_base, optional) darkmod [darkmod is optional but I always set it.]

An alternative is to set up shortcuts to Dark Radiant with this example in its right click properties:

G:\DarkRadiant\darkradiant.exe fs_game_base=darkmod fs_game=chalice

Otherwise you won't see custom assets such as special textures that are included with the FM.

As said, you also need to extract the pk4 (it's a normal zip but needs renaming to zip to extract) because currently although Dark Mod can look inside them, Dark Radiant doesn't yet.

I stress that you do NOT normally need to extract pk4s to play the FMs. During play, Dark Mod looks inside them.

~~~~~~~~~~

Can you describe exactly what happens when you install an FM at the Dark Mod menu please? It normally relaunches Dark Mod and there is the FM installed which you can then play. Are you saying that works OK but if you later exit Dark Mod and relaunch it again that there is no FM installed at all?

Can you describe exactly what happens when you install an FM at the Dark Mod menu please? It normally relaunches Dark Mod and there is the FM installed which you can then play. Are you saying that works OK but if you later exit Dark Mod and relaunch it again that there is no FM installed at all?

Yes that is exactly what happens. Once installed I can play, save etc BUT if I close the game I have to re-install the mission everytime I open the game. If I have saved instances of the FM at various points they are all available to Load once I have re-installed that FM.

Another problem...

This is Windows 7 and I have now tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions of the DarkRadiant and neither is working correctly. I have set the paths as you indicated, or I can start from scratch and begin with an unnamed map but the controls don't work.

1. Zoom with the mouse wheel is erratic sometimes jumping several levels and sometimes not changing at all.

2. Resizing any of the sub-window areas causes the contents of the area to replicate over and over in the newly sized area and the screen does not refresh to a normal view.

3. Most buttons and controls seemingly have no effect or produce random things on the screen.

4. Menus work but selections of menu items cause unpredictable results

I can load a .map from one of the missions but cannot effectively manipulate it.

Camera view jumps in and out from plan view to camera and back again as I drag across the screen, but won't stay stable and I can't move or manipulate the camera. sad.gif

Primary components are:

i7 Intel 3ghz

6 GB main memory

Nvidia 295 single card

all latest drivers

OK WAIT

I found the posts on the DR re: W7 and disabled the other 7 processors and the editor, at least, is fine now... sheesh... this takes me back to the days of Thief when you had to disable all but one processor.....

But the rest of the issues still remain :(

Good, so Dark Radiant is now working fine but what other issues remain? Looking back over the posts am I right in thinking the only issue now is you have to re-install FMs each time?

I seem to recall someone else had this problem and I suggested a temporary fix to set shortcuts to Doom3.exe for each one eg,

G:\doom3\Doom3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game chalice

But I think someone came up with a proper solution. Not sure if it was here or over at ttlg. I'm a bit busy right now but you might try searching for shortcut or steam or tdmlauncher keywords might find it. But come back if you don't; we'll sort it out eventually. :)

Good, so Dark Radiant is now working fine but what other issues remain? Looking back over the posts am I right in thinking the only issue now is you have to re-install FMs each time?

I seem to recall someone else had this problem and I suggested a temporary fix to set shortcuts to Doom3.exe for each one eg,

G:\doom3\Doom3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game chalice

But I think someone came up with a proper solution. Not sure if it was here or over at ttlg. I'm a bit busy right now but you might try searching for shortcut or steam or tdmlauncher keywords might find it. But come back if you don't; we'll sort it out eventually. smile.gif

Yes, as far as I know the only issue left is having to re-install FM's each time so....

Many thanks, I'll search it out from here. I'm sure with this additional info I can find a solution or at least document this thoroughly enough that it will only take one of you guru's a moment to get the 'ah hah' for a fix.

Edited by namuh1

I searched back this morning and the post I was thinking of was at ttlg but I'm uncertain it is the same problem and can't find the original error. That was to do with the user having a space in the doom path, ie, doom 3\darkmod rather than doom3\darkmod.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1924754#post1924754

I searched back this morning and the post I was thinking of was at ttlg but I'm uncertain it is the same problem and can't find the original error. That was to do with the user having a space in the doom path, ie, doom 3\darkmod rather than doom3\darkmod.

http://www.ttlg.com/...754#post1924754

I read that thread and tried to rename the 'Doom 3' to 'Doom3' but apparently because it is a Steam app that doesn't work. I did try to search the registry for instances of 'Doom 3' but it became too convoluted for me to be comfortable with changing them. I suspect that Steam either needs to do this to make their download/play system work or they are using it to protect against piracy. In any event I'll keep working in it. Thanks for your efforts and persistence.

I didn't mention earlier that I have been a Thief fan since Thief 1 and that I've followed (as an observer) The Dark Mod from its beginning and I can't offer you and the team enough kudos on the incredible job you all have done. If the original Thief had been this good it never would have failed. Thank you ALL for this.

Here is some fresh info: I tried running the DM using the run command with the following:

C:\root\g\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\Doom3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game chalice

I tried this after running normally and installing 2940_chalice from the DM menu and doing New Mission and then saving a sample instance (to have a referent)

Running with the above launch does not work either. I still wind up with the Main Menu and there are no saved games or installed instance. Re-installing still works.

I read that thread and tried to rename the 'Doom 3' to 'Doom3' but apparently because it is a Steam app that doesn't work. I did try to search the registry for instances of 'Doom 3' but it became too convoluted for me to be comfortable with changing them. I suspect that Steam either needs to do this to make their download/play system work or they are using it to protect against piracy. In any event I'll keep working in it. Thanks for your efforts and persistence.

I didn't mention earlier that I have been a Thief fan since Thief 1 and that I've followed (as an observer) The Dark Mod from its beginning and I can't offer you and the team enough kudos on the incredible job you all have done. If the original Thief had been this good it never would have failed. Thank you ALL for this.

AFAIK the mod should work under Steam, but our only entry in the FAQ is this:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Does_it_run_with_the_Steam_version_of_Doom_3.3F

Does that not help you? What is your Steam folder?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

AFAIK the mod should work under Steam, but our only entry in the FAQ is this:

http://modetwo.net/d...on_of_Doom_3.3F

Does that not help you? What is your Steam folder?

If you read my post #11 it is the fully qualified path to the Doom engine and is the folder that contains the darkmod folder.

The common folder is where Steam places all games instances that you buy from them. You don't get to choose either the path or the folder name.

And... yes I found and read the FAQ entry you gave above... In fact it was what started me on the install.

One question about the startup of DM is:

When the original splash comes up and I choose MODS the dialog shows ALL the FM Mods I've installed at least once from the DM Main Menu. BUT it seems I 'have' to choose the one and only entry that says:

The Dark Mod: Thief Style Universe for D3

or I don't get to the DM Main Menu... i.e. the MOD, for example: chalice, simply exits back to the Doom Menu.

Is this the correct behavior and if so, won't it get pretty cluttered when I have 50 FM's installed and have to go looking for the Dark Mod entry?

Edited by namuh1

If you read my post #11 it is the fully qualified path to the Doom engine and is the folder that contains the darkmod folder.

The common folder is where Steam places all games instances that you buy from them. You don't get to choose either the path or the folder name.

And... yes I found and read the FAQ entry you gave above... In fact it was what started me on the install.

One question about the startup of DM is:

When the original splash comes up and I choose MODS the dialog shows ALL the FM Mods I've installed at least once from the DM Main Menu. BUT it seems I 'have' to choose the one and only entry that says:

The Dark Mod: Thief Style Universe for D3

or I don't get to the DM Main Menu... i.e. the MOD, for example: chalice, simply exits back to the Doom Menu.

Is this the correct behavior and if so, won't it get pretty cluttered when I have 50 FM's installed and have to go looking for the Dark Mod entry?

You shouldn't actually have to choose a mod - D3 should start with the main menu of TDM main menu.

How do you start d3, with "tdmlauncher"? Do you use a shortcut for that, and what are the settings for it?

(Sorry if I ask instead of reading the entire thread again :)

Sorry, read it now :) Okay, that sounds about right. Could you show a screenshot of the content of your darkmod folder?

You should a dmargs.txt file in it, also a currentfm.txt file. Maybe your Steam folder is write-protected or you do not have permissions as user to modfiy things in it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

You shouldn't actually have to choose a mod - D3 should start with the main menu of TDM main menu.

How do you start d3, with "tdmlauncher"? Do you use a shortcut for that, and what are the settings for it?

(Sorry if I ask instead of reading the entire thread again smile.gif

Sorry, read it now smile.gif Okay, that sounds about right. Could you show a screenshot of the content of your darkmod folder?

You should a dmargs.txt file in it, also a currentfm.txt file. Maybe your Steam folder is write-protected or you do not have permissions as user to modfiy things in it?

Interesting.... Actually I DO have to go through the Doom MOD selection every time and do NOT get directly into the Dark Mod on launch.

Also interesting is that while I do have a dmargs.txt and a currentfm.txt the dmargs.txt carries a date of 2/22/2008 and is unmodified while the currentfm.txt contains 2490_chalice which is indeed that last FM I loaded.

The screenshot of my darkmod folder is attached.

post-3471-125884586762_thumb.jpg

Ah I think I know what the problem is:

Could you please try to follow this post here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10044-tdm-not-loading-only-doom-3/page__view__findpost__p__197788

If that works for you, we should definitely add it to the FAQ.

(Sorry, I do not have Windows and no Steam, so I can only give you very vague directions :)

If that works it wants to go in the FAQs on the wiki.

I'm puzzled that 2490_chalice gets written to currentfm.txt; it should just say chalice. Is the game folder 2490_chalice?

Ok early morn and just up to try fixes...... I'm half way there:

with the addition of the line from Tels' post to the Doom game properties, the Dark Mod now comes up directly from using tdmlauncher.exe either directly or via any sort of short cut to it.

However, unfortunately, there is still no persistent installed game meaning that a given FM must be re-installed each time I bring up the game in order to play it.

Artifacts: The name of the installed game IS correctly put into currentfm.txt but the dmargs.txt is still blank except for the original explanatory header and the date is still the original 2/22/2008.

Fidcal to answer your question, the folder with Chalice in it is indeed named 2490_chalice on my system. That's just the way it came over as I didn't mess with any of those things.

ADDENDUM: Ok I tried running as Administrator -> no effect

I also tried taking ownership of all the files -> still works as before so no gain.

I checked all the permissions and allowed users on the files that 'seem' involved thought I haven't seen any source to verify if I looked at anything meaningful, but all permissions appear open and correct.

That's the latest.

Edited by namuh1

dmargs.txt *should* remain blank - or rather, not changed automagically. that's OK. The file is for *your* use as an alternative to add arguments should you so wish. You can also have multiple ones of any name and give tdmlauncher an argument of that name eg, dmargs_Windowed.txt and then put any relevant args in that file.

You say "The name of the installed game IS correctly put into currentfm.txt" but *is* it? Dark Mod expects it to be chalice consistently both as game and game folder. For instance, the pk4 is named chalice.pk4 and the map (mission) name is chalice.map but (presumably) steam is naming your game folder 2490_chalice so I think that is the conflict. If 2490_chalice is in currentfm.txt then it won't show on the New Missions list. You might try changing *everything* except the map name to 2490_chalice:

darkmod\fms\chalice folder to...

darkmod\fms\2490_chalice

darkmod\fms\chalice\chalice.pk4 to...

darkmod\fms\chalice\2490_chalice.pk4

<doom3>\2490_chalice\chalice.pk4 to...

<doom3>\2490_chalice\2490_chalice.pk4

BUT I am unsure of the outcome and unsure if Steam will change the value at some time and unsure if it will work and unsure that this will help because presumably you would to do it manually for every FM after you have first installed it! (apart from that no problem ;)) I am seriously unsure if Steam is changing the very name that Dark Mod uses to manage these FMs!

If no other solution presents itself I would personally be tempted to make a shortcuts folder and set up shortcuts for every FM once installed but then I am unsure how DoomConfig.cfg is updated (not critical but more messy manual tweaking.)

So starting from a download of say chalice.pk4 into fms I am guessing the sequence:

Run tdmlauncher

You see Chalice on the New Missions List (but uninstalled)

You select 'install'

tdmlauncher writes 'chalice' to currentfm.txt

tdmlauncher closes TDM

Creates <doom3>\chalice folder and copies the files over

Relaunches with chalice as game folder

Chalice shows on the New Mission list

You can play FM OK.

Steam intercepts and renames the game folder 2490_chalice but you can still play in this current session.

You exit TDM

On exit tdmlauncher writes the current game folder 2490_chalice to currentfm.txt

On relaunch, tdmlauncher reads currentfm.txt and sets the game folder 2490_chalice

The New Missions list cannot display this because it has no such FM

If my theory is anywhere near write then at this stage if you open the console and enter: dir maps does it show chalice.map? (it probably will also show a few doom files but it cannot show chalice.map unless it is at the correct game folder. Also, you can enter map chalice here to play but miss briefing, objectives, shop, etc. It is possible to set the difficulty level with a console command but anyway this is not a happy solution.)

Agree with fidcal, the FM folder should be named "chalice" and not "xxxxx_chalice", this is likely the problem, but now we need to find out why it happens :)

Agree with fidcal, the FM folder should be named "chalice" and not "xxxxx_chalice", this is likely the problem, but now we need to find out why it happens smile.gif

I will try those things, but I wanted to clarify what 'may' be a bit of a red herring. The 2490_chalice IS, of course, a possible issue but you should know that ALL the other FM's came over 'as normal' and put their correct name in the currentfm.txt without a problem but don't persist either.

Example: Training Mission is inserted as 'training_mission' without the quotes.

Don't know if that helps or hurts but it's fact.

One Additional piece of info.... I believe I've found where the 2490 comes from. I downloaded that particular mission from ttlg.com and there it has an ID?=2490 which apparently got incorporated into the name via the downloader. To be clear.... if you go to the ttlg.com site via the Dark Mod 'Missions' link and choose the Chalice FM and then choose the ttlg.com mirror for download you will see that 2490 is the ID before you begin the down load and when you actually click the link and then click download on the ttlg site the 'savefile name' is already set to 2490_chalice.zip... so Steam is not involved in this at all.

Edited by namuh1

I would certainly recommend any FMs you download from ttlg that you rename even if this 'digitized' name is not to blame.

training_mission is an exception because it comes pre-installed - or at least, it is within the fms folder and does not need downloading. But if you are you saying even it does not persist then we need to rethink.

So can you confirm that with a 'normal' name for the pk4 such as outpost.pk4 that it correctly installs, correctly creates a game folder called doom3\outpost, and correctly writes 'outpost' to darkmod\currentfm.txt? And those are still there when you next relaunch tdmlauncher but the New Missions menu shows 'no fm installed'?

You might find it convenient to miss out tdmlauncher and set up a folder of shortcuts for each FM. Install them once first. So for example..

D:\Steam\steam.exe -applaunch <9050> +set fs_game chalice

I presume <9050> you substitute your own code which is already in your steam shortcut but I think the above would show chalice as current fm in the list ready to play. Not a happy fix but might be less annoying until a better solution is found.

even it does not persist then we need to rethink.

So can you confirm that with a 'normal' name for the pk4 such as outpost.pk4 that it correctly installs, correctly creates a game folder called doom3\outpost, and correctly writes 'outpost' to darkmod\currentfm.txt? And those are still there when you next relaunch tdmlauncher but the New Missions menu shows 'no fm installed'?

Sadly, yes, I can confirm that none and I mean NONE of the FM's, including the Training Mission will remain installed. ALL of them get their name put into currentfm.txt, but seemingly tdmlauncher is not able to use that information to properly launch the FM with it installed.

<9050> works

But as to the suggested fix, I think I'll live with re-installing each time I want to play. It really is not much of a burden, especially considering I've waited 5 years, holding my breath, to play this game it's entirely worth the extra 30 seconds it takes to re-install. After all, the 'Saved' games are all there once I re-install so nothing is actually lost.

Most of all I'd like to thank all of you for your tireless efforts to resolve my problems.... *sly grin* not to mention your tireless efforts for the last 5 years to produce a game that beats the original in every respect hands down. With the quality of the DarkRadiant editor I might even try my hand at creating a Mission of my own since it was Dromed that stopped me before.

Cheers