The Dark Mod Forums

Darkradiant: I am probably missing the obvious...

etdarkb

I am following the A-Z Fidcal tutorial from the wiki, but I miss something.

I make the brush, put the texture, transform it to a room and I should go inside it using the camera view to change the texture of the ceiling and of the floor, but when I am inside I cannot see anything.

In this context few pictures are more expressive than hundreds of words: I move through the wall and I see nothing... :S

post-3534-126151799415_thumb.jpg

post-3534-126151800223_thumb.jpg

post-3534-126151804657_thumb.jpg

post-3534-126151805968_thumb.jpg

That's more than just one room. Select one of it's walls and move it to the side (click and drag the brush) to see what's inside it. Normally you wouldn't see more than the four surrounding walls in the orthogonal view, as the floor and ceiling share the same edges from a 2d perspective.

Edited by lostbuthappy

Not for being annoying, but I tried few times before coming here... :S

There is little to say: I did the brush of size 256x192x128, textured it, selected it and clicked on the button `make room.'

I followed the suggestion of lostbuthappy: it seems the output of make room are six different brushes of same size a shifted by the size of the grid.

Fairly weird. But it explains why I do not see inside the room: I am inside a brush...

Edited by etdarkb

that looks like you have pushed on "Hollow" and then on "make room"

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Thanks to everyone...

Here is another photo-story of my incompetence:

Edit, the order is messed up. In order of my actions:

2nd picture- I have a single brush;

3rd picture- I select it and went over the `make room' button;

1st picture- I clicked the `make room' button;

4th picture- I moved around the six brushed I had as output.

The quality is low because of attachment size limit.

Maybe the universe is trying to say I should not become a mapper? :S

Or there is some kind of errors in the dark radiant installation?

post-3534-126152486558_thumb.jpg

post-3534-126152487256_thumb.jpg

post-3534-126152488066_thumb.jpg

post-3534-126152489205_thumb.jpg

Edited by etdarkb

is that windows 7? what version of dark radiant are you using? did you install DR and after that a new version?

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Odd, I can't really tell exactly what's going on either. Seems like there are deffinately some overlapping brushes and it's possible they are not being made correctly I guess. I've never had issues with 'make room', but honestly I don't think it's that valubale of a tool, at least with my workflow.

Just make one brush the size of a wall, then copy it (shift-drag) and use the copy for another wall, do that 6 times and just resize them for wall lengths, ceiling and floor.

The thing is, once you make one room, you won't ever need 6 brushes for a room again anyway. The next room will share a wall, if you do the 'make room' again you'll have to delete a wall anyway. I just drag out new walls and resize them as I go.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

@Sonosuke

I do not use Windows.

uname -a gives Linux pendulum 2.6.31-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 10 19:01:40 CET 2009 x86_64 Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux.

Darkradian version:

I am using the version 1.0.2 installed with the package I made.

@Baddcog

It is really a worthless tool as it does not work :D

I tried making six brushes by hand and I could complete the first part of the tutorial. But thanks for the considerations about what happen when you have two rooms, `make room' (even if it would work) is less useful than I thought.

Edited by etdarkb

etdarkb: Looks like you are using the test version? If so, you should report this problem on that thread. I just tested with a large grid size in the new test version and got two side walls missing so maybe there is a bug. I mean, if you're just dragging out a brush and using 'make room' and it's going wrong then it's not your fault. Just that nobody else has seen this. If you still get this problem then, as Baddcogg says, you can make rooms just by making and moving panels. Or try 'hollow' and drag or resize them. Also by now I presume you've done a reboot and relaunched DR because I've occasionally found odd problems that cleared up when I next launched.

Don't be misled - 'make room' *is* a very useful tool and most of use it a lot and it works fine for us; drag, click, done. But it's not something one needs to do a hundreds of times like some other tasks so at least one can make a room manually. :)

I am not a svn expert, so please bear with me if I am doing stupid mistakes.

I think I am using the 1.0.2, so it should not be a test version as the forum says it is released.

Yet I might did something wrong while downloading the sources, I used the command:

svn export -q 'https://darkradiant.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/darkradiant/tags/1.0.2/' ./sources

as indirectly suggested by greebo in the 1.0.2 released thread.

I had to make two patches (see Sources), otherwise the `make install' would fail.

Maybe I added a problem? Being a `make install' problem it should not possible... But better safe than worry.