The Dark Mod Forums

Dialog?

Mr Lemony Fresh

Hello, i was wondering if it was possible to give the player choices of words to say to an npc to make the npc do different things. I want the player to be able to ask a shop keeper to fetch something from a locked room so that the player can run in, smack him and take what ever he needs from the room. Well i'm sure it's possible, but i mean for someone like me who knows little about scripting menus and the like. Does anyone know a quake script that could make that happen? or is there an in built method?

The reason i ask is, i was planning my map, when i realized a few parts of my map could become a lot more interesting with this function, but we don't have anyone to code it.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

It would need some knowledge to set up plus of course, recordings of the speeches. You need to look on the wiki for conversations as a start I reckon. Not too difficult to trigger the npc to go somewhere and wait a certain length of time. You might look how the conversation was done between the two builder guards in the church in St. Lucia.

Hmm Yeah, i thinking the least i could do would be to get a basic dialog option going (like text on the screen)

I'm really aiming for something like the conversations in dues ex except without worrying about getting the different angles during each bit of speech. As for getting voice, it would be good, but not essential.

I might look around and see if it's been done in some other mods, and who knows, i might need to just learn the engine's language.

18588.png

As for getting voice, it would be good, but not essential.

Right, KotOR did well without it for example. The idea seems a little concept-braking for a thief-like game (what, of course, should not stop you). Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

It turns out i might not even do it, but in future, i'd loved to. I've always wanted to combine a fps with the satisfying puzzle solving of a good adventure game :) Anyone played Kings quest 8: mask of eternity? It's a pretty cool game, but it really lacked a little something in terms of adventure game uhhh... goodness :D plus the fps view was a little tedious to control :( . I was pretty keen to replicate and enhance that experience in a newer engine. For the moment it can wait though, i think one ordinary mission is enough for the time being while i get use to making stuff :)

18588.png

Getting text on the screen is easy.

Fidcal just made a nice title-text recently.

Getting the text to operate like part of the HUD GUI would probably take some more techy work, and now you're tweaking the more inner mechanics of the game, like a mod of the mod... But as I understand it you can still package it like a normal FM and it shouldn't be a problem (if you aren't changing existing mechanisms, which may change over time and outdate the FM).

As a start, dig through the tdm files until you find the HUD elements and see how they were done, like the inventory system which cycles when you hit certain keys, flashes green when you hit use, then triggers an event or condition. What you want is basically exactly that, except it's cycling through on-screen text (by highlight) and maybe specially highlighting the one you select, then triggering some action like a voiceover, AI response, and whatever other events you want.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Right, KotOR did well without it for example. The idea seems a little concept-braking for a thief-like game (what, of course, should not stop you). Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm considering something like this as well.

What does "KotOR" refer to?