The Dark Mod Forums

Missing Thief's Den Mission & general questions

Dark Phoenix

Hi. I'm New.. Love Thief, so I thought I would try out some missions for this cool mod.

I'm posting here cus there doesn't seen to be a 'general forum' for such topics.\

I'm looking at the new Thief's den Mission page, and it says there are 3 missions out including this one. . I do see they are working on a 4th mission that's in testing.

On the fan mission list wiki, (here http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod) I only see two missions listed for the Thief's Den. Where is the missing mission?

Why did the people who made these tools choose not to make a game/full set of missions, for the mod itself?

I see there are 2 groups who have released missions in a Series. Thief's Den, GCC 09 and the one from No Honor Among thieves, has a campaign of 4 missions.,, Which of these approximates a more complete game?

I see in the wiki list GCC has the most released, but there is no indication if your supposed to play 1 first, then another in sequence, or are they all standalone missions?

Has no one endevered to make a full game yet?

I am looking forward to trying all of these missions, but I would like to play the ones that make up a story/game first before I play the single missions that are off by themselves. Perhaps those in the know may edit the wiki to reflect this info.

I look forward to your answers. Happy Thieving.

Thanks for feedback Dark Phoenix.

Thief's Den 1 was a small stand-alone demo made before Dark Mod was released. Not obvious where it is but you can get it here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Thief%27s_Den

No Honor is the most complete story as it was made as a campaign.

The Thief's Den series has evolved as separate FMs but continue on from each other. Thief's Den 4 is almost complete and may be released within days.

I do not know what GCC 09 means. No idea. All those FMs are separate FMs so play them in any order.

No full campaign was made because it would have put back the release of Dark Mod a year or two or more. One might ask ;) "why didn't YOU make a Dark Mod campaign?" Everyone was free and indeed invited to participate and contribute over the last few years. We provided the game-making tools and assets. It's that simple really. It is a huge effort to make one full FM. We are all working without pay in our spare time. To make a 12 or 14 level campaign was not realistic given our limited manpower. It took a year on and off to produce Saint Lucia. The same for the training mission. People just cannot find the time to work full time on these FMs.

Thief's Den 1 was a small stand-alone demo made before Dark Mod was released. Not obvious where it is but you can get it here: http://modetwo.net/d...e=Thief%27s_Den

No Honor is the most complete story as it was made as a campaign.

The Thief's Den series has evolved as separate FMs but continue on from each other. Thief's Den 4 is almost complete and may be released within days.

I do not know what GCC 09 means. No idea. All those FMs are separate FMs so play them in any order.

No full campaign was made because it would have put back the release of Dark Mod a year or two or more. One might ask ;) "why didn't YOU make a Dark Mod campaign?" Everyone was free and indeed invited to participate and contribute over the last few years. We provided the game-making tools and assets. It's that simple really. It is a huge effort to make one full FM. We are all working without pay in our spare time. To make a 12 or 14 level campaign was not realistic given our limited manpower. It took a year on and off to produce Saint Lucia. The same for the training mission. People just cannot find the time to work full time on these FMs.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and info.

I just played the training mission and Boy I have to say, I'm super impressed. You guys managed to bring back some of the feeling of Thief 1 and 2 that was missing in 3 and brought in a lot of 3's features. A very good mix Eidos failed to pull off when they made 3. ( I can't say I was unhappy with 3 by any means though)

I'll play through the Honor series first then move to Thief's Den.

I can understand you not having time to make a full game - I just wanted to hear that that is as I suspected from the horses mouth. I didn't make one cus a) I just found out about this Mod.. searching for thief mods as I just decided to replay all 3 again because they work on my laptop.. Doom 3 does too.. and B) cus I'd be horrible at it.. I'm just a gamer, not a programmer.. tried to learn some coding for use with the Unity 2.5 engine.. That wasn't pretty, and of course I have played with FPS Creator - learned a little visual basic with MS Visual Studio, but the C & C++ and C squared to the second power, scares the heck out of me.

Besides.. if I know whats gonna happen, it spoils it for me. (grin)

I am greatful for the time and work all of you contributing folk have put into this. I will enjoy the fruits of your labors very much to hold me over till Eidos gets it's rear in gear and spits out Thief 4.

haha - funny - I set up the contest myself but didn't know it was shortened to GCC 09 ! Yes, they are not related to each other. There is not necessarily a common player character to all FMs. Even in Thief sometimes an FM did not use Garrett. In Builder's Influence I think it's Corbin. I always use Farrell. In Dark Mod we'll wait to see if any particular character becomes dominant. :)

Nobody has any control over this. We provide the ink and the paper; FM makers each write their own story. Personally I hope for one or two very popular characters that gain some depth with useage plus a multitude of other characters each of which is seen less often, perhaps only once. I suspect the majority will have no character unless one or two become very popular. :)

This is probably obvious to others but I'm sure there are at least a few fools out there like me who might struggle...

If you open TDM via the Mods area in Doom 3, you will see two TDM entries unless you modify the description.txt file for Thiefs Den.

So far, putting the "DevIL.dll" in the main Doom 3 directory has not had an adverse effect on any other Mods (the other thing I was concerned about).

I haven't had this installed long enough but there are no lock-picks? How are the doors opened? Just repeated open attempts?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No, lockpicking wasn't available when that demo was made.

The door behind at the start, the big factory door, the yard gate, and the door in the little tudor house cannot be opened; they are just decoration.

The door into the thief's den house from the yard and the one to the kitchen are already unlocked are they not? If not there may be a key on the belt of the thug?

The other door to the street needs a key. You should have a message from Sam saying he is making a copy of that key and will slip it under the door later.

Both chests have a key which you have to find.

Thanks Fidcal... The earliest FMS I played was Saint Lucia... so I feel a little left-out and am trying to catch up...

I really need to install Thief 1 & 2... I played Theif 2 briefly on a friend's PC waaay back and found it to be very compelling but did not return to it when I finally built my own PC after college... (so I'm blasphemously ignorant of much of your heritage). That little taste of Thief was enough to spark my interest in this Mod (along with my fascination with using Id's dynamic lighting in a historical setting).

I was never really into PC gaming (always fascinated with GPU tech though) until Doom 3 / HL2 came to be, I just didn't feel the eye-candy was worth the expense over a console until I saw those games... (but I was a bit jealous of my friend playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Thief 1& 2 and Descent 2). Now we have even better looking games than HL2/Doom 3 but I really don't need better, I just needed to get over my minimum visual aesthetic requirement and those games have pretty much done it. (No more flat, "painted-on" faces and "painted-on" finger digits... now almost everything has a volumetric look... except trees...).

But, I agree, graphics aren't everything and I do remember Thief being fun way back then... (And looking at the ttlg forum screen-shots of Thief FM's ... it holds-up pretty well graphically anyway... at least better than the N64 I was playing during that era). I should probably bump the Thief games up in my gaming queue... I have such a gaming backlog now it's incredible. (my limited gaming time doesn't help, thanks wife... :laugh: ).

Thief's Den 1 was a small stand-alone demo made before Dark Mod was released. Not obvious where it is but you can get it here: http://modetwo.net/d...e=Thief%27s_Den

Ack! Got a problem. Following the instructions for this demo, on win 7 I have modified the target line to reflect my correct Doom 3 path.. But I get a message that this path is invalid. Here is my path I am trying to use:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom 3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game thiefs_den

This is my normal working doom 3 shortcut target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\DOOM3.exe"

Here are the instructions for the demo:

"

1. Download thiefs_den.exe and copy it to C:\games\doom3.
  2. Run thiefs_den.exe. A thiefs_den folder will be created.
  3. In C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den is a file called DevIL.dll. You MUST copy this into your C:\games\doom3 folder OR your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder (where it can be shared by other applications. If there is already one there then use the newest date.)
  4. Now you'll need to create a shortcut to the Thief's Den demo:
    1. Copy the existing Doom 3 shortcut on your desktop. Rename the copy "Thief's Den".
    2. Right-click, choose Properties and edit the command line. It should read

C:\games\doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game thiefs_den "

Can someone help me figure what I am doing wrong cus it looks o.k. to me..

EDIT:

Nevermind.. I fixed it.. ( well it is 4 in the morning) - I added the DEVILdll file to win system32 instead of just the Doom 3 folder, and I corrected the missing closing quote mark from the instructions above.. it should have read:

C:\games\doom3\DOOM3.exe" +set fs_game thiefs_den - or im my case it's:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom 3\DOOM3.exe" +set fs_game thiefs_den

Perhaps this may help someone else out. I just copied and pasted the target line from the instructions and that line doesn't have the quote in the right place. Don't do that.. add the quote after the Doom.exe if your gonna copy and paste the line from the instructions.

Now to the Fun !

Edited by Dark Phoenix

I think Fidcal should just re-release the demo for the interested people. Rerigging it as a mission for the current TDM version shouldn't be too hard, and since it is a piece of mod legacy, it plays a similar role in the community as Gathering at the Bar did for Thief.

(I could never play it in full myself; didn't work on my PC at that time, and had weird lighting bugs on my brother's - I sure didn't get far in it)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I kinda like the "weird" look of this older version of TDM. Yes, I prefer the new lighting, textures, and prefabs for new missions but I kinda like looking back to see what it was like at the beginning. If you do remake this, I hope you include a "retro mode" :)...

Maybe. I think there is more work than you think but it's all relative. I might take a look.

That reminds me.. the download page for the demo says you have to read the gameplay page for important info or you won't be able to finish the mission.. but that page is now blank. ( invisible ink anyone?) So.. what do I need to know that's critical to this demo?

Is there a demo thread I can post these things in so I can be posting in the right place?

There's a link on that page to the general Dark Mod gameplay page. I think that warning was just for general gameplay that was covered by the trainer etc in the main release. At that time there was just that page (now blank) to cover things like mantling and rope arrows. So if you didn't know the basics (and nobody did back then) you couldn't proceed.

I don't remember any other problems specific to that demo. Maybe blackjacking was more difficult.

There's a link on that page to the general Dark Mod gameplay page. I think that warning was just for general gameplay that was covered by the trainer etc in the main release. At that time there was just that page (now blank) to cover things like mantling and rope arrows. So if you didn't know the basics (and nobody did back then) you couldn't proceed.

I don't remember any other problems specific to that demo. Maybe blackjacking was more difficult.

Cool.. Can you give me a vague hint for the "Info for future prospects?" I think I looked everywhere in the house.

I got past my "open doors" problem :laugh:...

now I can't:

Figure out what to do with the Iron Key and Silver Key... unless they aren't working?

Remember, use the Enter key to activate the items when you have them showing in the items area. I had trouble with this at first.. I wanted to right click everything but right click doesn't always work. If this is not your problem, then I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah I found the "Info for future prospects" It was where I thought I had looked before.. that seems to happen to me a lot.. I need to pay better attention.. LOL

Nice demo.. now i'm moving on to the next mission in the series.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

nbohr1more: Check your settings menu to see what key is allocated to the inventory 'use' key. Move in front of the chest close up with the chest lid highlighting. Make sure the key is selected in the inventory. Press the 'use' key not the frob key.

I'll test again but I'm pretty sure "Enter" is mapped to "Use" in that demo... I think I've even gone crazy and hit random keys in frustration (excluding weapon keys)... (I know I did that for the doors that wouldn't open).