The Dark Mod Forums

Making a curve

KaiserJohan

Hello,

I've ran into another problem, this time with making a curved wall.

I've been reading http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Patches but I find a conflict;

Everything goes like it says there untill Create Bevel... where his bevel looks like this http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Image:Bevel06.jpg (I presume the white lines are from the corner triangle, and the orange lines are from the bevel).

However, my bevel, when created, becomes rectangular with a line in the middle! Whereas his looks more triangle-like, emulating the corner triangle..

Cheers

Perhaps if you switched your view among the x/y, x/z, and y/z views you'll find the bevel. It won't necessarily be oriented the way you want it when you make it, and you might be looking at it from the wrong angle.

If that's the case, rotate the bevel until it's properly oriented.

Open menu > view > patch inspector and at the bottom is tesselation. Check the fixed subdivisions box then increase the horizontal (if not try vertical) value to 2 or 3 or 4. Keep it to the minimum you can with the effect that you want.

Here is how it looks like just after I use Create Bevel on my corner triangle:

http://img689.images...80/50612347.png

It's looks nothing like the one from http://modetwo.net/d.../e5/Bevel06.jpg :unsure:

Increasing tesselation just adds more lines to the rectangle (more separate surfaces I guess?)

Edited by KaiserJohan

It's just not working. When spawned it's really awkward to work it. Its not correctly aligned in any direction, and it's so small and thin I can't get a good view of it. I've tried resizing the rectangle to a triangular shape but it's just not working.

Is there any other way to create a more smooth corner?

Ok, I've never really "got" how bevel corners are meant to work, much like yourself. But I'll walk you through the "trial and error" method to do it (I am a terrible mapper, I accept this :P)

• First things first, open DR or create a new map for messing around in
  • Make your grid nice and big, so hit "6" on your keyboard.
  • Make three cubes in an "L"-shape
  • Select the corner cube
  • Got to menu bar at the top : Patch -> Create Bevel
  • Now you will get some badly aligned patch!
  • Hit escape to unselect everything, select the corner cube again which now has a patch inside it then press "H" to hide it.
  • Select the patch, remember they can only be viewed from one side.
  • Does the patch look inverted? it most likely does so go back to the menu : Patch -> Matrix -> Invert
  • Ok now it should look more normal, you most likely need to rotate it "Y" a few times then match the edges up by rotating "Z" a few times. (use the buttons on the side)
  • Good Lord! A rounded corner!

I am sure that is _not_ how all of this is meant to work, but hey! :)

KaiserJohn: Sorry you are having these problems. We all get seemingly crazy things happen until we learn how things work - and we are all still learning! Let's explore what things might be misunderstood. Forgive me if some these things seem obvious but I don't know from what you are saying what is the likely error:

When you create a bevel from a brush, the brush is not deleted automatically and the bevel is inside it so you can't see it (see images below)

The orientation of the bevel depends on which grid view you have currently selected. (see images) so you have to rotate it using either the rotation tool or the arbitary transformation dialog.

Bevels, like most patches, are totally invisible from one side.

Tesselation may need setting especially on very small bevels to get a smooth curve - but you know that.

In the images below I made some 128 x 128 x 128 brushes and clicked Create bevel for each one after selecting a different grid view. You see the result. None of them is oriented the way you want for a vertical corner so you would have to rotate the bevel for certain. (this is in my older version of Dark Radiant so it might have changed.) The top bevel in the image is facing downwards. From above it is invisible.

At the time I wrote that article I believe the bevel was oriented 'vertically' from the start so I didn't perhaps explain more. But if you create a tall narrow brush and make a bevel from it then its curve, even if you rotate, it is totally the wrong shape for the corner. I recommend you first rotate the brush on its side, make the bevel, then rotate it.

I suggest you create some different bevels like I have just done and experiment with them until you are comfortable you can see what is actually happening.

post-400-127632358905_thumb.jpg

Here's a screenie what it looks like that confuses me:

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/9917/dr3.png

For some reason, it curves of at the top? Which makes rotating it difficult for me, since it can never really 'fit' on the wall since the base is vertical but the top curves of at the end. I thought that maybe you should rotate it 90 degrees, but then it's too wide and too short. Basically, from that point in the picture, I am unsure how I should proceed to resize and fit it properely.

Cheers

It curves at the top because that's how bevels default in Radiant. Of course, this can be fixed though, it all depends on what you want.

Adjust the bounding box to control its ultimate size but, if you want to adjust the degree of slope, edit the vertices. Default for this is to press E when you have the patch selected.

Wonderfull, that nailed it! As you said, first rotating it on the side and then rotating it back gave me the perfect bevel! It eliminated the wierd curving feature ontop of the bevel and made it fit perfectly to the corner. Cheers!

I don't understand the logic though, or why it's made that way :P

EDIT: Dosn't seem to be working on all brushes though :P having problem with a square right now, but the walls went fine

Edited by KaiserJohan

1) Sorry, but I have a another bevel problem :D this is another kind of problem, though.

http://img709.images...09/6594/dr4.png

Looking at that screenie, the bevel is prefectly aligned from the front. But, there's this gaping hole on the top, since the bevel is just a patch. Is there any way to make this solid and fill the gaping hole?

Cheers

EDIT: Nvm, solved it with end caps :P

2) I have a texture bug when placing an arc on a pillar. I used end cap to fill the empty space behind the arc.

http://img36.imagesh...36/6246/dr6.png

I've tried selecting the wierd-texture part and copy shader (natural) from the pillar, but I get an error "Sorry, that operation is not allowed" or similiar. In fact, I cannot texture it at all, and in-game the whole pillar gets this corrupted texture! Any ideas?

(also note the fact the bevel texture dosn't align at all with the pillar, even though I copy shader (natural))

Edited by KaiserJohan

Do a normal copy shader and paste shader from the brush pillar surface in the same plane to the end cap. But use paste shader natural to the bevel itself. You might need to rotate and scroll that texture but it won't be corrupt.

Well, these are the only things I can think of...

Perhaps..

You are trying to select it as a surface like a brush surface. You need to select the whole patch.

You are not pressing the correct controls to select.

You are not pressing the correct controls to copy (you cannot copy from the other patches but only from a brush)

You are not pressing the correct controls to paste.

You are somehow pasting the default texture which is blue.