The Dark Mod Forums

Mushroom skins

grayman

The materials folder has tdm_models_nature.mtr in it, and inside that are the mushroom skin definitions.

These definitions are included:

tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_green

tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_red

However, when selecting mushroom skins, the red selflit is available, but the green selflit isn't. The green dull selflit is available, but not the fullbright one.

Anyone know why green fullbright doesn't show up in the DR mushroom skin list, even though it's defined in the *.mtr file?

The material file just defines the material, you also need a skin to go with it that says "heh, for the following models use instead of material A, the material B".

It is a bit unfortunate that a lot of our skins have the same name as the material, so the above reads:

"Skin A says for model B,C use material A instead of Default."

The mushrooms skins are in

skins/tdm_nature.skin

You should be able to make your own skin, but we can also just add a skin for TDM v1.03 (but the release is still some time off)

Edit: It seems the default material is "selflit_green" so that is way no skin exists for it - it is the default.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

errr wait, it's the default :D

In the model browser it shows:

Active Materials : tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_green

The skins remaps that like this for example:

skin mushroom_selflit_red
{
model models/darkmod/nature/mushroom_01.lwo
model models/darkmod/nature/mushroom_02.lwo

tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_green tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_red
}

skin skin_name
{
model model_file_that_it_applies_to.extension
model model_file_that_it_applies_to2.extension

default_active_material_name replacement_material_name
}

errr wait, it's the default :D

Ninjaed! :P

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

No, all the skins are defined but the green is the original colour in the model. The skin file changes the green to something else so there is no skin def that changes green to green. Just delete the skin property and it should be green - or else select the green model in the first place. Technically it is possible to set the skin to change green to green so at least it can be selected in the skins.

I now have fullbright yellow and white shrooms.

These are missing in the standard set. Can they be added in 1.03?

I just used the standard names I would expect TDM to use in a future release:

For the *.skin file:

skin mushroom_selflit_white

{

model models/darkmod/nature/mushroom_03.lwo

model models/darkmod/nature/mushrooms_01.lwo

model models/darkmod/nature/mushrooms_02.lwo

tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_green tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_white

}

skin mushroom_selflit_yellow

{

model models/darkmod/nature/mushroom_03.lwo

model models/darkmod/nature/mushrooms_01.lwo

model models/darkmod/nature/mushrooms_02.lwo

tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_green tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_yellow

}

For the *.mtr file:

tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_white

{

qer_editorimage models/darkmod/props/textures/mushroom_white_d_ed

surftype15

description "moss"

noselfshadow

noshadows

forceOpaque

{

blend add

map models/darkmod/props/textures/mushroom_a_a

red 0.5

green 0.5

blue 0.5

}

}

tdm_mushroom_a_selflit_yellow

{

qer_editorimage models/darkmod/props/textures/mushroom_white_d_ed

surftype15

description "moss"

noselfshadow

noshadows

forceOpaque

{

blend add

map models/darkmod/props/textures/mushroom_a_a

red 0.8

green 0.8

blue 0.5

}

}

Yes OK. I am currently exploring the extinguishable mushroom idea so likely to be adding to the skins anyway. I might also add the green to green anyway as it does no harm and means you can choose green whichever model you chose.

If you have a map that is likely to be finished in within months then you should probably still put in your own custom material and skin files with your map and probably give them a different def name so there is no conflict. I think this conflict would only be a console warning though; it should still use your defs before the ones in the darkmod pk4s.

If you have a map that is likely to be finished in within months then you should probably still put in your own custom material and skin files with your map and probably give them a different def name so there is no conflict. I think this conflict would only be a console warning though; it should still use your defs before the ones in the darkmod pk4s.

Ok, will do. I'm using them in my vertical contest map.