The Dark Mod Forums

Textures with issues

Baddcog

/wood/boards/weathered has itched me for quite some time now, until I decided today to have a go at improving it. The problem was, that the diffuse map contained strong highlights, similar to specular, which I removed.

Before / After

post-684-129069774725_thumb.jpgpost-684-129069761922_thumb.jpg

And here are some in-game shots. I thought I'd see what can be done in the normalmap department as well. The results can be seen on the right screenshot.

Before / After / new normalmap

post-684-129069774406_thumb.jpgpost-684-129069760246_thumb.jpgpost-684-129069760915_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think. I guess the revisited diffuse should definitely go on SVN. What we do with the local is your choice.

/wood/boards/weathered has itched me for quite some time now, until I decided today to have a go at improving it. The problem was, that the diffuse map contained strong highlights, similar to specular, which I removed.

Let me know what you think. I guess the revisited diffuse should definitely go on SVN. What we do with the local is your choice.

I see the diffuse difference, and liked actually the highlight on the edges (they look like gloss due to the surface at the edge being angled), but then it should only appear on the edge towards the light. And with the old diffuse it appeared on the right edge left to the light, but also on the right to the right of the light, which seem swrong. So, yeah, thats better.

As for the normalmap, I am not sure I like the new one more.

In all cases, tho, both the diffuse and the normal map are too low of a resolution. The wall definitely looks fuzzy and blotchy. Might be fixable by just using half the scale on the wall/floor, but a higher resolution diffuse/local would still be prefered by me.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah, that texture is horribly low res. Way too low res actually, considering the scale of the material. The problem is just that there is no sourceimage with a higher resolution, so we'll just have to live with this one, unless anyone wants to put up with a hell of a lot of work to scale this up and rebuild the details. ;)

Yeah, that texture is horribly low res. Way too low res actually, considering the scale of the material. The problem is just that there is no sourceimage with a higher resolution, so we'll just have to live with this one, unless anyone wants to put up with a hell of a lot of work to scale this up and rebuild the details. ;)

Maybe this helps:

http://mayang.com/textures/Wood/html/Manufactured%20Wooden%20Items/index.html

(The downloadable textures are watermarked, but I guess this is not really a problem for us. If they are useful, I would also be willing to buy the DVD and donate it).

FAQ:

Q) What can I use the textures for?

A) You can use the textures in your school projects, to make CD sleeves, posters, in movies, in videogames etc - anything where you have added your own artistic effort.

You cannot use the textures for anything that directly competes with us. This includes, putting the textures on your own website, selling them, or giving them away. This restriction includes the textures themselves, as well as any minor modifications, for example, you may not make our texture seamless or tileable and then sell them.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

It's really not worth the effort. It's better to start out completely afresh.

By the way, I just took an in-game comparison shot on St. Alban's Cathedral, which makes a problem with the old normalmap pretty clear: It was based on the old diffusemap and brings out those faulty specular contours very strongly.

post-684-129076636362_thumb.jpgpost-684-129076635713_thumb.jpg

If you're not happy with the current normalmap, just make suggestion how it should look like. But the old one just seems wrong to me.

It's really not worth the effort. It's better to start out completely afresh.

By the way, I just took an in-game comparison shot on St. Alban's Cathedral, which makes a problem with the old normalmap pretty clear: It was based on the old diffusemap and brings out those faulty specular contours very strongly.

post-684-129076636362_thumb.jpgpost-684-129076635713_thumb.jpg

If you're not happy with the current normalmap, just make suggestion how it should look like. But the old one just seems wrong to me.

Yeah that pretty makes it obvious the the old normal map was wrong. Also, I am not good at textures, so you might as well ignore me completely :)

Btw, could you post images a bit smaller next time? I do have a pretty huge monitor, but they still appear in the forum inline always a bit too big, so I need to scroll to access the Next/Prev/Close buttons, which is very cumbersome.

In any case, it's a texture I really don't like much, I'd be happy to remake it in a few days. Currently just sorting out Melans stuff to get into the svn this evening.

Ah, cool. I'd like to see the results of that. :) But just in case you won't get around to doing so, I'll upload what I have so far.