The Dark Mod Forums

Fog problems

Tels

I am trying to achive a very faint fog-over-water effect, but I can't seem to get it working.

When I set the fog start just over the water surface, the terrain (which is underwater as well as sticking out to create islands) creates ugly jagged bright triangles where it clips into the fog:

post-144-128527216437_thumb.jpg

Changing the texture from "basic_fog" to something else doesn't seem to make a difference. The only "solution" seems to be to drag down the fog volume until it is below the deepest underwater terrain point. However, this also means the fog is underwater, making both the underwater look whitish from above, and also makes the view from underwater very foggy. That is not what I want. :(

So I tried to make just local foglights that just cover the water area and do not cross into the terrain, but when viewed from outside, the fog edges are very white and visible, showing that the entire fog is just a "block". Ugh.

So, does anybody have a solution for this or ideas?

Maybe I need to create a few "layers" out of patches and texture them with a whitish additive blend texture? But they wouldn't look "3D", unless I bent them in creative ways?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Using fog/real_fog is much better, it smoothly fades out. However, it creates some color banding, and also, strangely, is completely transparent over the water surface. Which means, it actually just fogs the terrain and the models, but not the water. The effect I am trying to create is the opposite of that, strong over water, weak over land, tho. Hm:

post-144-128527284089_thumb.jpg

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

We have no solution unfortunately. The edges of doom3 fog volumes show badly. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Page_3#Fog

This is the main, probably the only major obstacle to fog in TDM and discussed many times and possibly the best alternative is some kind of large particle effect.

I brought this up in another thread but still dont know the relevance:

http://www.doom3worl...7750&highlight=

(haven't played with it...) :unsure:

(oh it's real_fog ! ... already covered :blush: )

Edit:

Hrmm

The D3W description seems to indicate that they are trying to achieve the same effect with swamp_glare ...:unsure:

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Fog in Doom3 ist just horrible for these things.

Once it touches a polygon/model only slightly, it will fog it out completely in a strange way, not adhering to the smooth falloff that you would expect.

It's the typical "meh, good enough" implementation they did for Doom3, because they never really needed good working height-fog.

It also doesn't let you make really thick fog that you would want for certain water situations, again probably down to "meh, good enough".

I could swear the height-fog in Quake3 was better than this, but maybe my memories are fogged ( :ph34r: ).

For fog to properly "stop" at some point, you have to make sure that the models/polygons/brushes it touches are either not touching the volume, or have some cut-line going right where the fog-volume ends, so it won't touch any unwanted polygons above it.

Does this make sense ?

Sorry for the rant :D.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying but perhaps just a faint white blendlight with a soft-edged projection image shaped like the water and a steep falloff image that keeps it close to the surface?

(more silly guesses) :blush:

Edited by nbohr1more

I brought this up in another thread but still dont know the relevance:

http://www.doom3worl...7750&highlight=

(haven't played with it...) :unsure:

(oh it's real_fog ! ... already covered :blush: )

Hm, yes, but your link gave me the idea that the water is not fogged just like the sky is not fogged. For me, that is not a problem with the sky (hm, might be if you are underwater), but at least the water surface might be "fixable" by just making it whitish instead of dark green.

So using "water_colored" and setting the proper color fixes that problem :)

Another way (which I used) is to draw a patch over the entire water, offset it by 0.5 units above the waterline, and add a new material to it (which will be in v1.03), which is just a very basic blend light plus a moving cloud texture, so it simulates the rolling fog.

Also created a variant of the real-fog (plus a "thin" variant" of it, as I only want a hint of fog) that has the moving clouds as described at the post, which looks way cool!

post-144-12852798603_thumb.jpg

(Looks better in motion[tm])

So now I spent the entire evening just to create the fog..ugh! :ph34r:

looks good... :)

(I still want to tryout the blendlight idea cause it's just light strombine except foggy :laugh: )

Edit:

... material with blendlight "in it" eh?

I was thinking projecting the blendlight but that sounds better. (Youtube please) :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Oh hell this would be interesting for other applications (like removing the black sparkle lines I get sometimes). But for my fog, I don't need it, it already works perfectly :)

looks good... :)

You should the level in action :) Fog rolling in and out is way cool :) (Esp. after I fixed the clouds to move in the same direction :blush: as the "wind")

(I still want to tryout the blendlight idea cause it's just light strombine except foggy :laugh: )

I used a blendlight. :) But it is not bound to the player, it just covers the entire water body, partly below it. Looks almost perfect as a "foggy haze over water" to me. To make it "thinner" I just dialed the blend additive stages down a lot. (They are shaderparm adjustable, of course).