The Dark Mod Forums

Complete System Crash

Absinthe

Hi,

first post and I am already asking for help.

I installed TDM a few days ago. No issues installing, patching or playing the training missions in low resolution. However, after maxing out the resolution to 1920 x 1080 my computer crashed. Not only the game to the desktop. The entire system rebooted.

I played with the resolution and changed it to 1366 x 768 (16:9) yesterday and was able to play for app. 30 min. Another crash.

Also, when I used quick save yesterday, and look for the file in the menu it will only show the date and time but no title. Trying to click it will lock up the game.

I run

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core i7 2.67 Ghz

(2) Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 in SLI mode

6 GB memory

1TB @ Raid 0

with a ViewSonic monitor (HDMI 1080p)

Please let me know if you need any other information.

I appreciate your help!!

Have you tried these configuration changes?

Open Nvidia Control Panel ->

Manage 3D Settings ->

Bottom half of list locate "Threaded Optimization" <-- Set to NO / Off

Also set "Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No idea, but it sounds similar to a problem I had with overheating at one point.

Have you tried these configuration changes?

Open Nvidia Control Panel ->

Manage 3D Settings ->

Bottom half of list locate "Threaded Optimization" <-- Set to NO / Off

Also set "Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode"

I will give that a try and let you know what happens. Thanks a lot!!

1) Are you trying to resume from a save game? If so, I suggest you delete that save it may have problems (see The Alchemist thread).

2) Do you have version 1.02 installed (did you run the updater)?

3) I would recommend trying another wide resolution, 1366 x 768 is known to be problematic in 1.02

4) I would make sure you have UAC disabled

5) You may need to upgrade or downgrade either your video drivers, motherboard drivers or both...

(Springheel's suggestion about overheating might be something to look into... Also what wattage is your power supply?)

1) Are you trying to resume from a save game? If so, I suggest you delete that save it may have problems (see The Alchemist thread).

2) Do you have version 1.02 installed (did you run the updater)?

3) I would recommend trying another wide resolution, 1366 x 768 is known to be problematic in 1.02

4) I would make sure you have UAC disabled

5) You may need to upgrade or downgrade either your video drivers, motherboard drivers or both...

(Springheel's suggestion about overheating might be something to look into... Also what wattage is your power supply?)

1) Yes, I have been using a saved game.

2) I run the the updater last night and it came back with no update necessary

3) Actually, I changed the resolution (again). This time to 1440 x 900 and played for a full hour without any problems.

4) I will look into that

5) Yeah, that's a good idea. I will check the drivers and maybe upgrade for now if any updates are available.

Not sure about the wattage. Will check on that as well.

Again, thanks a lot for your help. This has been driving me nuts for the last few days. :blink:

You're welcome. :)

Here is the thread about the resolution bug:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11249-maddening-resolution-issue-no-proper-1366x768/

Quicksaves are known to be problematic for some missions (The Alchemist has a patch for this) especially if you try to use the mouse-wheel (which is broken in 1.02).

Finally, I would disable as many background programs as possible IM Client, Bittorrent, etc. Then make sure you white-list Doom 3 and The Dark Mod in your security software (or disable you NIC in Device Manager then disable your security software, unless you have the Steam version of Doom 3...).

Good luck.

Glad to hear that.

From my understanding, Quick Save isn't the problem itself but rather "the stuff that gets saved quickly". The code that stores all the states for everything that is happening has to be really clean if you are saving "on the fly".

There are a couple of known culprits that cause problems for this so fixes are in the next release AFAIK (or in a mission patch for The Alchemist).

I hope your other FM's are trouble free. :)

Edited by nbohr1more

I finished "Business as usual" last night. With the same resolution I mentioned earlier. However, this time I didn't use Quick Save and had no issues at all.

The issue you have sounds really like overheating, or a driver crash. Have you run a memory test?

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Get the "Bootable ISO", burn it to a CD, then boot from it and run it, let it run for at least 10min, better an hour (some errors only crop up if the sysem heats up). It should tell you if you have a fauly memory chip in your computer, if you have, you need to replace it, because every software that happens oto write/read that will get unpredictable results.

As for the overheaing, do you have a Temp. display in your nvidia control panel? If so, play for a few minutes D3 and then go to it and watch the temp. Does it get close to the limit?

Also, clean out any fans in your computer, and check they still run. A clogged fan can cause overheating.

Last resort would be to check that the wattage on your power supply is ample for your SLI setup - it might be on the limit and get pushed over for heavy 3D stuff.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The issue you have sounds really like overheating, or a driver crash. Have you run a memory test?

...or tortured your CPU with Core2MaxPerf or Prime? That would be my suggestion. 

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.