The Dark Mod Forums

Blue Madonna

Aprilsister

Delayed by effing "distributors". Will we never, even in this late in the age of the 'net, rid ourselves of these unnecessary elements? Why the fuck does anyone still need a distributor? Especially of digital content? And -- not to mention, except that I will -- these "Big Fish" folk are the worst... and this is a perfect example of why... they've been making me sick for quite some time. And here they are setting a fine example of retrogressive backwardness.

Anyway, from the very beginning MDNA has been brilliant: Distinctive artistry combined with intriguing gameplay (IMO). Every new episode in the Carol Reed series improves the interface a bit, but the main elements have been there from the beginning.

The defining feature of these games, the visuals, are the impressive photographs; stylized and retouched -- progressively less so or more so according to your POV. These shots continue to be truly worth the price of admission alone, each one beautiful and strange enough to occupy more than just the eye.

The music is excellent too. Somehow it never gets monotonous. It play's its large part in the wonderful atmosphere of these games so well.

I really like these games. Because of all of the above... and I haven't even mentioned the gameplay. I really like these games. It is of course essential. I really like these games.

There is only a handful of truly quality stuff out here in the gaming world (that I know of). Occasionally some big-time-commercial things rise up and slightly more often than that some indie stuff rises. But the great stuff is rare, really -- TDM for sure belongs among the great stuff, The Carol Reed Mysteries belong too.

Curse Big Fish!

its to do with predicted profit on release before the pirates get it, as it in december people will be low on cash due to christmas and cant afford it so profit will be lower than expected, come january and people have been payed, they can then afford to buy it, and profit will be higher.

Although online sells are also controlled by hardware updates, which are easy to do in months when there is no festival and the equipment is easy to get.

A couple of early (gamewise) screenshots:

002vc.jpg

003vlh.jpg

As you can see the new game has it's own (progressively-more-photo-realistic/less- broad-stroke-impressionistic) distinctive look. But still the stark, color-rich, stunning beauty; that makes these games set in what one might imagine and many say is a bleak environment.

Never heard about these. Looks interesting. Thanks.:) Ever played Timelapse? I loved that game. The video seqences were a little long winded sometimes, but a classic imo.

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

Yeah I think I still have my originals around here somewhere; keep coming across them... about 12 frickin' CDs? If we are talking about the same game. And since you mention video sequences... 10+ CDs seems to fit the bill. :)

There is no video in these games -- the visuals are just the best most impressive use of static still stunning photographs imaginable.

Hey, if you do get over to MDNA, I recommend starting with the earliest game Remedy first and playing the rest in order; not because there is a running story-line, but to dig the progress/development of the design and interface. Check out the galleries...

I think it was 4 or 6 cd's. About finding the connections between the great lost civilisations and atlantis. The atmosphere was just captivating, and the sense of solitude that not many games provide.

I definitely check out all of them, love this type of games. And if the puzzles are intelligent and interesting I'll be in heaven for a long time.

A couple of early (gamewise) screenshots:

003vlh.jpg

Wow, sometimes reality is not that detailed :o

Me needs a lot of work to do to catch up with something like that :o

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, but it is reality!

Just beautifully captured and expertly ~enhanced~.

Often the scenes are staged a bit as well -- there are a few established motifs as well, running through the games, apropos (or at least consistent with the Carol Reed universe) of themselves... cluttered (supremely cluttered) art-studios, storage spaces, etc; and contrastingly pristine living spaces and outside locations.

Some more shots I've enjoyed as I've played along (though, I'll say it again, every scene is striking):

bluemadonna19romaruinsr.png

sarch.png

bluemadonna12hearse.png

@Aprilsister: A bit short on funding these days. But I'd really like to play one of these. If you had to recommend one, which one would it be?:mellow:

Well, I'll tell you this new one is the best yet. It's got a lot of content (I'm not finished yet, but I can still say that); it's improved in all the ways you might expect as the techniques and gameplay and underlying engine are always being refined and enhanced for the better; and it's got all the familiars plus newnesses!... but it's all part-and-parcel of the ongoing legacy, IMO.

I would still really recommend you start with the first one, "Remedy", because it's kind of neat to see the early effects-laden style and how it has evolved (or...devolved?... I'm sure there are some HCCRTs {hard-core Carol Reed traditionalists} somewhere who will have none of this new-fangled new-fanglery!!!).

There is no particularly important story-line reason to start at the beginning, though, so I won't press that, There is some element of that continuity and callback, surely, but it's not essential, only adds to the fun. I just think it's going to be worth it to experience it in episode-order, because of the evolution of presentation thing I described above.

These games are only ~$10 a piece @ The Adventure Shop and you'll hopefully want to relax and enjoy them for all they are worth -- at a basking, meditative pace -- which will allow you to go through them over the course of many moons and, therefore, without breaking your bank. :D

(<_<.... :huh: I swear I don't have any affiliation with these games beyond digging and appreciating them)

(dry.gif.... :huh: I swear I don't have any affiliation with these games beyond digging and appreciating them)

Yeah, keep talking, Unstoppable... ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

^_^

:laugh:

Well, I was a lot closer to finishing than I realized. Finished now, and it was great, wish I had something else in this vein to play... any suggestions?

Anyway maybe this (the penultimate screenshot I'll post here... found in the game, maybe a reference to something I should know? Maybe a reference to associated upcoming?) is something one of y'all can tell me about?

juliao.jpg

And for the final shot, maybe my favorite (at least it is at the moment):

bluemadonna15brilliant.jpg