Questions From Garreth

Garreth

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's too complex as worldspawn. I converted the main part of the statue to a func_static then it proceeded further with the dmap before hanging. I'll try that again in a while and leave it running longer to see if it eventually succeeds.

I also exported it as a model. This worked but DR choked when I tried to create the model and it wasn't just the preview hanging but even when I created another static model and just pasted in the new model name it choked.

It may be that the only solution is to convert it into several models. If I were you this is what I'd do.

•  
  • First, use layers for this sort of thing. It's then easier to hide the other stuff.
  • Select sections of the statue separately and convert them to func_static, eg, an arm, a leg, a head, a torso. This might still not dmap but now create a separate test map and just load one section and test it separately. It may be there is some complexity or problem in one section that cannot be processed. If so, then break that section down further and repeat the above. It may be there is just one or two patches screwing it up that can be fixed.
  • Finally, it might be you have to convert each section into a separate model using DR's exporter.

V E R Y impressive btw! This is the most staggering patchwork I have ever seen. This is easily the best 'organic' (for want of a better word) construction I have ever seen in DR. A mighty work.

Don't give up on this - it can be fixed I'm sure! :)

I learned to build like this in secondlife back when i did not knew what a grid was i started modeling on the eye, this is a copy of my zeus statue, built it in about a half hour, more to come ;), i will narrow down the bug as you described.

Thanks

Taf you, you taffin taffer

Hmm it seems all the parts are causing leaks besides the arm wich i made into a mover door. that one works just fine, if i insert any of those func static parts the map is leaked.

Changing the other parts into moving doors, is not working either.

Edited by Garreth

Hmm it seems all the parts are causing leaks besides the arm wich i made into a mover door. that one works just fine, if i insert any of those func static parts the map is leaked.

This is usually because the origin of the func_static (which can actually be anywhere!) is outside the map. Try vertex node (press "v" in DR) and move the little green rectangle with the green/red/blue lines inside the geometry again.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I just saw that it takes long to map according to my calculation about 35 mins to dmap the entire statue i am gona see if it ever even finishes, i will wait for a hour or so if it did not do it after that, then i have no idea.

Just a note: if you have a truly complex func_static, then D3 will attempt to optimize it. That means all intersecting faces will split each other into subtriangles, these then get merged and optimized. That can take a VERY long time if you have a few 1000 tris in such a func_static.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, it's all dmapped OK. I'll upload it for you soon. I still recommend though that you also try to export each func_static section as an ase. Make sure you set the option to create the origin at 0,0,0. Then when you re-create the models, copy the origins from the func_statics. Although I suspect this might not work precisely. If not you'll have to move into line by sight.