The Dark Mod Forums

Blatant Abuse Of Copywrite Laws

Renzatic

It all comes down to 1 thing: I was bored. So, in my boredom, I decided to import a shitload of Thief 3 textures to Doom 3 to see how they look. The verdict? Not too bad, not too grand. They're actually high res textures, about the same size as ours, but they look like they've been run through a compression program about 15 times so they're a bit worse for wear...I can understand why John P brought it upon himself to redo a bunch.

I probably won't upload em to the FTP unless popular demand is pretty high, I'm doing this mostly for experimentation and for a texture guideline to follow. Right now I have about 40 ingame with another 40 waiting in the wings (137 meg total)...once I get something impressive done I'll post screenshots.

It Is Done.

Close to 300 textures ingame, the longest material file you've ever seen in your entire life, hours spent exporting, importing, and converting....for textures we can't even release.

I am the king of pointless fucking ventures. :P

Of course I'm kinda going overboard here, it will eventually serve a purpose. I now understand alot more about textures and naming schemes, and have a better idea of what we need. Plus if we find a texture we like in the Thief 3 set we could redraw it and do a new normal and make it officially ours. Being inspired by a texture and doing our own is legal, as long as we don't use their original files.

If anyone wants to play around with it just ask me and I'll send it your way. Just keep in mind that it's 600 meg.

Damn, I'd love to get my hands on that (I'm starving for textures) but I just don't have a quick enough connect for that size.

...it will eventually serve a purpose. I now understand alot more about textures and naming schemes, and have a better idea of what we need. Plus if we find a texture we like in the Thief 3 set we could redraw it and do a new normal and make it officially ours.

That is actually a fantastic point - seeing the T3 textures laid out will definitely make clear what is missing and what is needed. *drool*

Someone isn't keeping me up to date on the situation here...last time I asked I was told that we could no longer link directly to files on the FTP due to the minihack. I just put the link up to the FTP cuz it was all I knew how to do. ;)

no, it's the same as ever, you just can't browse the folders through the HTTP anymore.