The Dark Mod Forums

Ipod 4th Gen vs 20 Inch Wide-LCD monitor?

lost_soul

I have this friend who is offering to sell the monitor for $50. I have that old Ipod in my desk and he might be willing to make the trade. Is it worth it? This Ipod holds twenty gigs and includes a nice case. I never was happy with it though because of the cringe-worthy bass and pathetic battery life. I upgraded to a Cowon D2 years ago and I love the insane battery life, thumping bass and 32 GB of solid state space.

Do you think this is a reasonable trade? I know some people are Apple fanatics and they think this stuff could be worth a lot, but I just don't see how. It has a crappy gray-scale screen that made my eyes bleed while trying to play Doom on it... lol Granted, it was never meant to play Doom in the first place.

Thoughts?

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Do you need the monitor, cause it sounds like you don't like/need the iPod.

I only bought an iPod because it plugs into my truck's stereo and it's nice having all that music on random shuffle, I haven't pulled it out of the glovebox for years.

Otherwise i wouldn't have bought iOverrated anything

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

It depends. Do you think you would use this monitor? You should look up the value of it, if it's not around the same price that you could sell your Ipod for you may want to reconsider. I did a quick ebay.ca search and it looks like your Ipod could sell for ~$90 depending on its condition. (LINK - I hope this is the right Ipod) So you could possibly have the monitor + $40. Maybe approach him with that trade and work your way down to monitor + $20 as a minimum?

Also buyer beware, check out the monitor before you buy :)

I'm planning to look at the monitor further and check for stuck pixels, etc. I know these things aren't built like tanks (like CRTs were). They can have stuck pixels, dead pixels, etc. Also, here's the same model Ipod that I have for $50 used on Amazon. <a href='http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002OZXHO/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1306934767&sr=8-10&condition=all' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://www.amazon.co...0&condition=all</a>

Edit: Ah, okay that one "does not work". For a used one that actually works, it starts at 75 bucks.

Edited by lost_soul

Well we went ahead with the trade. Now he has one less extra monitor just sitting around, and he can have an MP3 player in his car; and I have a good spare monitor in case mine fails and one less MP3 player sitting around. I'm also pretty sure his 800 watt amp and 15-inch speakers in the car will provide for more than enough bass.

EDIT: Bahhhh: double post.. oops

Edited by lost_soul

• 3 weeks later...

As long as we have an iPod conversation going, we can tangent into that topic generally...

The one thing left I really use my iTouch for now is Japanese vocabulary flashcards, which is actually the best kind of use for something like it... You carry it in your pocket and can pull it out during (train) commutes or any time you have a few minutes just sitting around and study the words. Music maaybe just when I'm walking or commuting. There are some movies and a few games on it which is nice if it's a really long wait.

What's interesting is I bought a Asus netbook. Really small thing, 10" screen. Not pocket small, obviously. But still so easy to carry in a little bag (I believe just a tad bigger than an iPad, with full keyboard), I carry it everywhere and actually use it a little like I used to use an iTouch... This is what I listen to music with, watch movies, play games, (video skype, make music, read books, mod, etc, etc)... Like after work or on the weekend we might go to a coffee shop and I'll pull it out and play at the table. Helps that the harddrive is 250GB, and enough memory I can play something like GTA:SA on it, and I bought it used for IIRC $90. This has to be the most practical & useful computer I've ever had... The fact that it's also the cheapest & has the most & best media (it can't take credit for that) is just icing. I really love it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Those EEE-PCs also have damn good sound if you plug in headphones. The internal speakers aren't so hot, but the amplifier provides a clear sound with plenty of bass and no clipping. It can even do EAX! I'm still kicking myself for getting one with GMA 945 instead of NVidia though. Oh well, at least I didn't fall for the joke that is 7 Starter Edition where you have to pay to change your wallpaper! Only the corporate world could build an OS that requires half a gig of memory but lacks features that have been around for almost twenty years. http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/28/surprise-you-cant-change-your-wallpaper-in-windows-7-starter-edition/

Oh well, at least I didn't fall for the joke that is 7 Starter Edition where you have to pay to change your wallpaper!

Fortunately there's a free Asus download that does it (and others that fill in the other gaps). Not sure why it doesn't come standard on the computer itself. Maybe some deal they have with M$? But you can download it from Asus's EEE netbook site under downloads or something. But I agree, until I found that program I thought that was incomprehensible, and finding it had something to do with the swell of happiness I had for this computer when I could finally personalize it!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

MS disabled it so you would have to pay $90 to "upgrade" to a Home Premium OS and obtain functionality that was previously being sold on XP netbooks. I wish I could say I saw that trick coming, but I just broke down and purchased an XP model before the W7 ones ever arrived.

Also note that I'm not a Linux fanatic or anything. I wish I could have used GNOME on my netbook, but the experience makes me long for my Pentium 120 with Windows 95. The simple answer is Linux failed to deliver on the netbook.

Edited by lost_soul