The Dark Mod Forums

Electric light causes other lights to flicker

Sotha

I think there may be a weird bug with atdm:static_electric_light_nomodel_lit. This also probably happens with it's unlit counterpart.

When the electric light is turned on by a switch targeting it, all the other nearby lights (candlelights, for example) flicker off for a blink of an eye. It looks quite bad, when you spot it.

See the test map here:

http://www.mediafire...9xabloiu3chisut

Pull the lever in front of you. The green electric light will go off. Pull the lever again. When the green electric light goes on, the light from the candleflame on the left side blinks out for a fraction of a second. Repeat and it is easy to spot.

Curiously, when you turn your view so that the green electic light is no longer in your view, turning the light on causes no flicker in the candleflame.

EDIT: oh, and it has something to do with this particular light entity. If you substitute the atdm:static_electric_light_nomodel_lit with the simple light entity, there will be no flicker of other lights.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Does this happen with other electric lights when using the problematic light? This could have uses... house with poor wiring/load balancing etc..

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Does this happen with other electric lights when using the problematic light? This could have uses... house with poor wiring/load balancing etc..

It is a bug and it looks bugged, so I would avoid these entities like a plague until it is fixed. I suspect this has something to do with the sound-shader linked to the light, ie the light flickers with the sound.

I did not observe this for the model-attached electric lights.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have to try out the testmap and see if I can replicate it. My hunch it is either to do with the sound-shader-induced flicker, or there is a but that turns all other lights off (which I can't imagine out that should actually work out). Hopefully this is not an engine bug buried deep somewhere else!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax