The Dark Mod Forums

Stealth Bastard

Sir Taffsalot

haha, this is a pretty fun game. Kindof like Oddworld.

Anyone make a level yet? The editor is pretty easy to use. I made a half ass cheesy one just screwing around. I think I'll make a better one later that's actually worth a playthrough.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I played for awhile last night.

What I dig about it:

It's a lot like Oddworld gameplay wise. If the makers said Oddworld wasn't an influence I'd think they'd be a lieing.

It's easy to jump in and just play but challenging too.

When he squats he gets more stealth and his eye squeeze down like the TDM lightgem :)

-----------

But yeah, it's just a quick and fun puzzle game. Nothing like an immersive 1st person sneaker.

Go away owlpee!

lol, anyway I was reading an interview at Sneaky Bastards and I thought this was funny as I mentioned it above

"On the stealth game front, I’ve never been a big Splinter Cell fan. I’ve only played a few hours, and it seemed a bit too po-faced for my tastes. A lot of people (like yourselves) mention Abe’s Oddysee in reference to Stealth Bastard, but it had no direct influence on the game. Oddworld feels like a fundamentally different experience to me (albeit an amazing one!)."

God this game is annoyingly addictive. Everytime I get stuck at something I quit and then 10 minutes later I'm back in again trying to figure it out

How can I find your level baddcog? I can only find an option to download all levels or latest levels which is over 600.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Umm, I'm not going to upload that one, it's BADD!!!

But I have a few nights a week with only laptop access. The laptop is tough to do anything serious on, so I usually just block out a model, surf... So tonight I'm going to try and hammer out a good level. I imagine it might take me a night or two to complete something worth sharing. So probably by the weekend.

Uploaded one.

it's called

PlatformParanoia

Looks like you can only search by name the maps you DL'ed already though, so you gotta DL them all :)

--------

The textureing is kindof crappy, but I was kind of maxing out complexity in some areas (I only notice a little lag while riding one platform.

Seems the game starts to get too complex when you go beyond one full screen of stuff (mine is two wide).

So I didn't want to use too many textures/decals... I might make more, it's pretty fun. Much better to just whip out quick small ones though.

Cool! I'll have a go on it over the weekend. I might have a break from DM mapping and try and make my own SB level if it isn't too difficult.

I'm still playing SB. I'm at the end of the 3rd set of levels now. I find this very fun to play in short bursts. I try and do a level every time I have a tea break. They're very short and sweet.

The Joker

Nice Diego, Looks like you're better at puzzles than me. Going to have to go back and examine it better. You've got a good rating too 4.14 or something, mine is around 3.5 or less I think.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15441325/Baddcog.PlatformParanoia.lvl

There's mine, just goes into the levels/downloaded folder

It's a specific item, and changing the id of it (either directly, on the inspector window) or cycling through them with the mouse wheel. There isn't a lot of options.. a few pre-made sentences, numbers etc

By the way, you can press F1 during any mission you're playing to call the editor. It's great to take the mission apart and see what makes it work :)

• 2 weeks later...

@ Baddcog - thanks for the link. i haven't played any Stealth Bastard for a while. I'll have a go on your map over the weekend.

@ Diego - If you upload your map somewhere I'd be happy to have a go at it. It seems the only way to find maps is to download all of them and I just can't be bothered TBH.

The Joker

@ BC - nice map! I had fun with this. The laser bit at the start was really hard. In fact it made everything that came after feel easy. This would have been best for the end. As for the end, shouldn't that spinning blade have slowly risen to the top as I made my way up to the escape route?

Also I would like to have seen more detail. It felt too tunnely (I know that's not a word lol). Most of the screen was covered in black. If you were going for a claustrophobic feel then that's OK

@ Diego - I haven't got past the start lol. I like the concept of the switches obscured by those green barriers so I have to use the robot to operate them. But I can't even get the robot on to the elevator. My timing is always off. I'll come back to this and give it another go later.

The Joker

• 2 weeks later...

nice, will have to try it, still need to finish your first one too.

----

You should make a map for TDM, the editor is pretty easy to learn and Fid's A-Z tut will get you through the process pretty easily .