The Dark Mod Forums

font and design of the gamma setting screen

Tels

The current font in the gamma setting screen was unspecified, which means D3 loaded a "default" font from "fonts/english".

There are a few problems with that:

* it does not work in Russian at all, leading to an empty screen

* it contains no accented characters (making it look crappy in some western languages like German)

* Without D3, the screen is empty

There are two ways we can fix that:

* use another, already existing font (preferable something that does not look that modern)

* OR: find a suitable russian version of the font, and then patch the D3 font to contain accents. However, for a D3 free TDM, we need a replacement, anyway, so find a replacement font for western (preferable with Umlauts, otherwise we need to patch them in), too.

I have now opted for the first, because I couldn't find a suitable free font (and the "patch the umlauts in"-problem would still remain). One font I found containing both accented characters and russian ones was 29$ - but the license was a bit unclear (it talked about embedding the font, while we only need the images).

So, the only font from our already existing selection that seemed suitable/readable was Medusa:

post-144-0-37991100-1330276584_thumb.jpg

Two problems still exist:

* The former modern font is replaced by something looking more old, making the entire screen now a mixed case of old font and newish outline. However, I was never really satisf. with the "modern" gamma screen inset. Maybe we should convert it to parchment instead?

* The umlauts are missing. This needs to be fixed for readables, anyway, so this problem will go away with time.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I really dislike Medusa as a font. Though the previous one wasn't great either. That whole window really needs to be redesigned, I suppose.

Don't like Medusa, either.

So, do you want to come up with a mock-up? Or just a description? Or should I throw something together and post it here?

As for the font, it would be really good if we could use an existing one (perhaps Carleton?), instead of adding yet-another-font to our mix, esp. as this font is likely to be used only once.

Edit: Btw, you can easily change the font now by going into guis/mainmenu_settings_gamme.gui and change first definition GAMMA_FONT. Here is how it looks with Carleton. Not that good, either:

post-144-0-36682600-1330277899_thumb.jpg

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

the 'Keep on Truckin' font (any deadheads will know what I speak of. harry crumb cartoon). Yes, I hate that font for anything non-hippie related, it's too ingrained in my mind.

Does it have to be font? What about a cool picture of a thief in shadows? Lighten image until you can just make out the taffer. (could be a greyscale hand drawn image on parchment)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'd just use an image really - numbers are universal and the text above it is of no value imho.

There still needs to be text on the "Reset" button, tho.

Anyway, once a consensus has been reached on what the new dialog should look like, I don't mind implementing it. But if every one here has a different idea, we will not get anything :)

We always had the intention of using an in-game picture, I believe, like TDS did. I still think that would be the best idea.