The Dark Mod Forums

Melee does nothing in The Dark Mod

Araneidae

I've just installed The Dark Mod on Arch using the package here: http://aur.archlinux...es.php?ID=31788

As you can see, I had to make two source patches to get it to compile with the latest new and shiny gcc 4.7.0 compiler (the annoyances of using arch), see http://sprunge.us/dgLI, but it seems to be working perfectly well now I've installed it ... except for one little detail.

Melee does nothing! I first discovered when trying to blackjack the kitchen staff right at the start of The Crown of Penitence (yes, lazy, I know) without success, and then discovered that the guards couldn't hurt me either (but they can box me in), but then when I went back to the training mission I discovered that melee in the training room doesn't do anything either.

I've got a bunch of other little issues, not sure whether to gather them into one post, but this is the most obvious game spoiling bug! (Except, I suppose, I should be trying to ghost, but right at the beginning in a completely unfamiliar engine and map it's a bit tough.)

Edited by Araneidae

Nah, you dont NEED TO sneak.. I consider myself a thief pro (well, not pro, but Im playing thief and TDM FMs for a loong time) and actually never find sneaking better than blackjacking. I hate to ghost back in places Ive already ghosted just to search for that loot that left or key that is missing. Im not killing, but I just like to blackjack people.

But I cant answer your primar question. I hope that others will help you and you will spend many hours enjoying TDM!

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Can't really help you out, but you may have to be more specific. When you say "melee combat does nothing", do the melee weapons show up/animate/play sounds? Does it look like your attacks connect with AIs, but not do any damage? I've never seen anyone with this issue. The only remotely similar thing is that sometimes one can accidentally hit the ceiling in a room when trying to blackjack an AI if said ceiling is very low. Could this be happening?

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

The melee weapons animate and play their sounds, but there's never any sound of any collision, just the woosh of swiping the weapon. I neither receive or deal any damage. However, I can kill AIs with arrows.

My best guess is that my build is somehow subtly broken -- there are a *lot* of warnings in the compile, and it looks as if gcc has changed some rules recently, look at my patch: http://sprunge.us/dgLI. It'd be good to add -Werror to the compile flags ... but painful!

Edited by Araneidae

Grayman can answer this one a bit better, but I guess that indeed your build is subtly broken.

However, this also is a problem for us - I guess v1.08 would then be equally broken on Arch? E.g. you cannot use the package that we compile for you? That might mean we need to get rid of boost (if that is what prevents you from using our pre-compiled packages).

Would you be willing to help us test v1.08?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

However, this also is a problem for us - I guess v1.08 would then be equally broken on Arch? E.g. you cannot use the package that we compile for you? That might mean we need to get rid of boost (if that is what prevents you from using our pre-compiled packages).

I'm not aware of a precompiled package on Arch, let me explain briefly: Arch has two types of packages, supported and "unsupported"; for supported packages there are precompiled binary packages that are automatically available to install, like most distributions, whereas "unsupported" packages need to be built from source, but this uses the same mechanism used to build the supported packages. If you look at http://aur.archlinux...es.php?ID=31788 the PKGBUILD file contains the automated build instructions. I think AUR here stands for Arch Unsupported Repository.

Regarding boost, all the files are in the darkmod source tree, so fixing it was easy enough, I don't seem to have any boost files installed on my machine. As for using/not using boost, that's such a major strategic decision ... I imagine you're stuck with it! I can't really comment, I now avoid C++ for new projects.

Would you be willing to help us test v1.08?

Certainly. Is there a git repository or other publicly visible source control mechanism? I can only find snapshot downloads on the main web site.

I'm not aware of a precompiled package on Arch, let me explain briefly: Arch has two types of packages, supported and "unsupported"; for supported packages there are precompiled binary packages that are automatically available to install, like most distributions, whereas "unsupported" packages need to be built from source, but this uses the same mechanism used to build the supported packages. If you look at http://aur.archlinux...es.php?ID=31788 the PKGBUILD file contains the automated build instructions. I think AUR here stands for Arch Unsupported Repository.

Regarding boost, all the files are in the darkmod source tree, so fixing it was easy enough, I don't seem to have any boost files installed on my machine. As for using/not using boost, that's such a major strategic decision ... I imagine you're stuck with it! I can't really comment, I now avoid C++ for new projects.

We only used a few boost things and already talked about removing them, because most of them replicate what is in idlib implemented, anyway. But it is something for v1.09, as v.08 is in/near freeze already.

Certainly. Is there a git repository or other publicly visible source control mechanism? I can only find snapshot downloads on the main web site.

We have an SVN repository. Please send grayman a PM, I think he is the one who can give you an account (I certainly can't).

As for the patches, the first change (with the "this") is now in our source, as it works on gcc 4.4.3 and still the combat works (I just tested it). Thanx!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax