The Dark Mod Forums

DayZ

SiyahParsomen

There's a thread on it in GenGaming on TTLG. You can read people's opinions there. The forum is down just this second so I can't link to it now. Just go there and search for it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

There's a thread on it in GenGaming on TTLG. You can read people's opinions there. The forum is down just this second so I can't link to it now. Just go there and search for it.

I just found out it's definitely not for me. It's a survival game which I look for but w/o horror it just boring to me.

The horror is whether you can trust the other humans. Do they really want to help you, or are they setting you up?

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The creator was already working for Bohemia Interactive before the mod was released and was working on it as an experimental side-project.

I played DayZ a lot after it was released though I haven't touched it again in a while. Part of it is that I probably played it so much that I got tired of it pretty quickly. The other part of it is that whenever I start up ArmA 2 nowadays I usually get too caught up playing ACE (a realism mod) with United Operations or some other group to even bother starting it up.

On the other hand I can definitely see the appeal if your gaming diet is very deficient in any kind of large scale, emergent, and unscripted gameplay experiences. Of course, nowadays that category includes the majority.

As far as buying ArmA 2, I'm not sure if I would buy ArmA 2 specifically for DayZ. On the other hand, that allow you the ArmA 2 vanilla game as well which is nice if you are into tactical shooters or military simulation. It would also allow you to play a ton of other mods like Advanced Combat Environment (ACE), Project Reality ArmA 2, several RPG mods, and plenty of other types of mods as well. ArmA 2 also has a large selection of community made maps and missions that range from the highly realistic to the downright silly, so there's a lot of stuff to play around with there as well.

Have you ever seen a bunch of guys strap machine guns to goats and open fire at each other across a field? It's rather amusing and quite fun, especially when you're a bit drunk. :D

A couple reasons to buy ArmA 2:

The hardcore and tactical:

The... what the heck?:

Edited by Professor Paul1290

There's plenty of horror in Day Z, but it's not "oh god look at this horrific monster I must hide in the corner and protect myself with a trashcan I combined with a cat" like Amnesia sometimes felt. It's a creeping dread thing. The zombies are a flavour addition to the horror, not the sole content of the horror. The horror comes from the other players themselves, mostly. An anecdote:

I'm at the North East Airfield with 2 friends, and we're going to loot the hangars and the air control tower. Friend 1 is on overwatch with a sniper rifle, Friend 2 says he's going to go into the second hangar. We eventually clear both of the hangars with a small friendly fire incident due to me misunderstanding which hangar he was calling the second one, and we make it to the control tower. Right now, we're out of line of sight of the overwatch, but he's reporting the airstrip as clear. We get to the door of the tower, and as we're about to go in, a small shower of stone chips comes down into the doorway. Thinking nothing of it, we keep moving in, when another couple of showers come down, one of them from the doorframe itself, and we hear the distinctive thp thp of subsonic rounds passing overhead.. we're under attack and the overwatch can't see the attacker!

We both try to run inside the tower, Friend 2's head erupts in a red shower, he's hit! My pulse is racing now. With the sounds of stone impacts and subsonic rounds flying past, I manage to make it inside the tower to cower under the staircase.. Friend 1 on overwatch has been alerted and is now moving on a long arc around the airfield to take a new position, meanwhile I'm trapped under the stairs. The only thing breaking the silence for a good 3-4 minutes, is the sound of a swarm of flies hovering over Friend 2's body. Then, I hear it. It's very faint, but it's definitely there. The soft crunch, of a boot in gravel. The attacker has crept all the way up to the tower without me being able to hear them. Crunch. Crunch.

A frantic plea to overwatch, he's only halfway there. Right now, it's just me and the mystery assailant, with a thin stone staircase separating us. Crunch. Even with the 5.1 speaker setup, it's very hard to tell exactly where he is. I think he's at the doorway, or moving to the side, but I can't tell. Crunch. I'm shaking very slightly, this game of cat and mouse has been going on for 5 minutes now, and I can hear the cat prowling around outside. I'm getting a serious adrenaline rush. I've flipped my M4A1 over to full-auto, and am watching the gap under the staircase where I expect to be rushed from like a hawk. Crunch. Crunch. I check my inventory, there's no grenade. Thankfully, the other guy doesn't seem to have any either. Crunch. Crunch. Overwatch finally makes it to position, and is scanning the area. Crunch. From above me, I hear a solid thunk, and a moan of pain. The cat was slowly climbing the ladder to come down on top of me. Another thunk, and a second set of flies joins the choir. The cat is dead! Killed climbing the ladder.

With the all clear from overwatch, I check Friend 2's body. The cat had managed to come inside the tower with me, and loot the body without me being able to see or know. I run outside to the ladder, looking for the cat, to get some gear back for Friend 2, who has respawned on the coast and is running full speed to meet us.. I get to the ladder, then suddenly my head jerks sideways and I fall over. As the You Are Dead! screen fades in, I hear a sharp crack.. the cat wasn't alone, and they've claimed another member of our team....

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080