The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Souls

Diego

Haven't gone for the Hydra but done more exploring and found the Wolf Ring, some really cute frogs, and had my first encounter with Moonlight Butterfly - got her down to 15-20% health before I copped it, which I thought wasn't bad given I wasn't really geared up for range attacking, plus I haven't even seen any videos of her so had absolutely no idea how to fight her. (Not that seeing videos of boss fights ever helps when it comes to doing it for real. I find DS almost spoiler-proof in this regard. I watched about four different videos showing how to kill the Taurus Demon. Were any of them any use when it came to the actual fight? No. They were not.)

The only thing I don't like about Darkroot are those ents. One at a time they're OK, but two or three ganging up on you are a pain.

But yeah.

Moonlight Butterfly.

Trip E maaaaaan

post-9265-0-67997100-1403646840_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-13613000-1403645515.jpg

After gearing up for some ranged battling, I ended up whacking MB three times with my BK greatsword when she came to rest on the bridge and that was that. All the green titanite I had farmed earlier then came into play and a short while later I was hacking my way through the catacombs with a Divine Greatsword (not the BK) +5 and now have the Rite of Kindling.

I'm now wondering which bonfires would be strategically good to kindle up to 20-estus status. I'm guessing/hoping that once I get the Lordvessel (not that I'm getting ahead of myself or anything), I'll need only one or two as I can just zap around between them, but I have a feeling the game won't let it be that easy.

I'm also hoping that going in against O&S with 20 estus flasks will trigger a previously undiscovered game mechanic where, after dancing round pillars with me for about 45 minutes, Super Smough keels over in existential despair and just lies there groaning at the hopelessness of it all. (OK I'm not hoping for that. Not really.) (Be great if it happened though.)

• Like 1

Be wary of hope.

Oh how true.

Flew back to Undead Asylum, picked up the peculiar doll then went back to Anor Londo so I could subject myself to the Painted World.

"Hey," I thought (hopefully) when I got there, "I'm still human from kindling up Firelink Shrine bonfire. Why not see if I can summon a couple of people and maybe get O&S out of the way?"

Cleared all the enemies out from the area leading up to the fog gate. Summoned Solaire. Went back to the fog gate, saw a white summons sign, but thought (hopefully) "Better write a message indicating I want to take Beanpole out first. Just to make sure everything goes as planned. Using the word 'planned' in the loosest possible sense."

Wrote a message, during which time the white summons sign disappeared. Waited a few minutes and an orange summons sign appeared. (Wasn't sure why it was orange, but wevs.) Tried summoning. Summoning failed. Waited a couple more minutes. Orange summoning sign reappeared. Tried summoning, then in the next five seconds:

'BlahBlahPoohFace has invaded'/backstab/'YOU DIED'.

Five seconds. The only consolation was that it looked like Solaire then killed him in the following five seconds while he was doing a victory strut, but it was a very very minor consolation.

OK, all I ended up losing was twenty minutes progress, but still. On-line play can stuff itself. Every time I'm human from levelling up bonfires, that internet connection's going off. Live (die) and learn.

*takes deep calming breath*

*enters Painted World*

*sees gimp foes impaled on spikes*

oh great

Orange summon signs are from Sunbros, the covenant that exists only to help people in co-op. Make sure you don't miss the bonfire on the way into Ariamis just after the bridge, and also be very, very, very careful when you go down the well.

Finished Dark Souls 2 today. Only area I didn't explore was Undead Purgatory. I went there, didn't understand the Chariot bossfight and couldn't be arsed to try and figure it out so I left to push the last boss' shit in.

I liked that you could summon Vengarl, but he wasn't much use.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

At my rate of play I'll be able to join in on the DS2 conversations in a couple of years' time, but main news from my time line is: scampered out of Painted World as quickly as I could (ended up cheesing the Undead Dragon first time round (again) but didn't feel sorry for him/her/it like I did for the one in Valley of the Drakes, as this one was spewing lakes of poison stuff at me that just failed to reach the position that I had panic-strickenly scampered to carefully chosen as a sniper's position). Then went back to Darkroot and

Hydra down

Sif down

so I levelled up strength and endurance, went back to Anor Londo, aaaaaaaaaannnnndd

Super Smough down.

Using wooden crossbow bolts. (So much for levelling up str/end).

Which has somewhat blown my tiny little mind. Just danced around the pillars with him for 10-15 minutes (? - maybe more; I lost track), keeping out of his range and chipping away after his attacks. Tense but fun.

Now looking to create the Greatshield of Artorias with Sif's soul, after which...er....Duke's Library? Is that the next step? Now I'm Lordvesselled up I'm a bit spoilt for choice. :unsure:

Edited by simplen00b

The New Londo Ruins are what I usually go for next but they're not easy right away so yeah, I'd say the Dook's. Before you go there, make sure to go back to the Hydra's lake and run into the cave past the waterfall, killing the dude in there and talking to the woman that pops out. You have to say that you have need of her, then when you go to the Dook's there'll be a big ol' golem on the right after the first elevator. Once you kill that, pick its thing up and you'll be able to enter the DLC area at the back of that cave where you rescued the woman. Fair warning: the DLC area is best attempted after you've acquired all the Lord Souls and just before you head through the door that opens underneath Firelink because it's not easy, no Sir, not at all.

• Like 1

A-ha! That's how you get the DLC. I knew it had something to do with killing the lake golem and freeing Dusk (which I had already done), but wasn't sure what to do after that. (I can - and do - watch any number of playthroughs of this game, and remember about 5% of them when it comes to actually playing.) Now in Duke's Archive after the boss 'fight' and questioning the layout of his book collection. It's impressive, certainly, but functional? I think not.

the DLC area...it's not easy, no Sir, not at all.

Yeah - the thing is, though, I killed Super Smough with a light crossbow and wooden bolts.

Super Smough. With a light crossbow. And wooden bolts.

It therefore follows with inescapable logic that I am invincible and every single foe left in the game will be a doddle.

Apart from tanked-up boars in narrow corridors.

And octopus-headed librarians.

But apart from them - invincible. Oh yes.

Well I mean he is pretty big... and tentacle-y.

This is confirming my suspicion that despite all the reading and watching I'm doing about this game, most of it's going in one lobe and out the other. I evidently have no idea who Duke is. (Suspect I'll find out soon enough though.)

This is confirming my suspicion that despite all the reading and watching I'm doing about this game, most of it's going in one lobe and out the other. I evidently have no idea who Duke is. (Suspect I'll find out soon enough though.)

You've already died to him ^_^

You've already died to him ^_^

That narrows it down to pretty much any enemy in the game (lol), but in the context (and from checking the wiki), I did guess who it was. Didn't notice much in the way of tentacles when we met, but getting stabbed by rivers of stabby crystals does that to a man's memory I find.

So, Duke's Archives - how do I love thee? Let me count the ways -

***GREAT GAPING VOID OF SILENCE***(Batman)

Definitely fell more into the tiresome grind category rather than enjoyable. I think I'm getting a touch of Dark Souls fatigue - got so fed up at one point I started a new game as a sorceror (largely inspired by watching your INT build playthrough, AB, which I am enjoying), and while it was great to defeat the Asylum Demon first time round with a dagger, I think it's time for a bit of a break. Play something slightly less intense. Outlast, maybe. The Silent Hill series. Australian rules football. (Etc etc.)

I will return.

You better!

Yeah, I despise the Duke's from start to finish. Probably my least favorite place in the game. Glad to hear that you enjoy the videos, though ^_^

Just gotta learn how to do dat dere dukeskip to save you a ton of trouble.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Just gotta learn how to do dat dere dukeskip to save you a ton of trouble.

Well I've done it enough times to make it fairly simple, it's just still laborious and pretty dangerous with anything other than a walking tank. I know how to do the skip, but I've never tried it because A) it looks finicky as all hell and B ) I don't like huge skips. I tend to just use little shortcuts like jumping the banister at the start of the depths and jumping the gap in the stairs outside the last ghost house in New Londo. Still I'm not all that bothered about it: the main reason is because it looks finicky.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Just gotta learn how to do dat dere dukeskip

:wacko: ???????

**types dukeskip into google**

**watches two videos**

Ah. OK. Yeah, 'finicky' seems apt. The guy's commentary on one of the videos said it took him two hours to nail it, so it'd probably take me longer to do it right than it would to go through the whole area anyway.

I really didn't mind the prison area, but once you're back in the library you need flies' eyes to see where the next attack's coming from. I could spend a minute - a whole minute - trying to check out where everyone was, then go three steps up a staircase and find myself getting hammered from three directions at once from enemies I just hadn't seen. I'm not sure it's that difficult if you've got the protection/estus flasks, but, I dunno - it just wasn't fun. I've opened the access to the Crystal Caves, but frankly they look even more of a pain, so yeah. Gonna give myself a break. Jusforrabit.

@AB - yes, enjoying watching your vids as well as 'Dark Souls with James' (frequently hilarious, although he's an even slower learner at DS than I am. STOP RUNNING EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME JAMES would be my now utterly useless advice to him). I'm not quick-thinking/quick-fingered enough to do speed runs, so your playing style's very different to mine, but it's fun to watch. How you lasted so long in Anor Londo Great Hall when you were fighting the giant knights and then got invaded as well - goodness. The excitement took five years off my life, so it did. (Btw - just out of interest: it looked like you eventually got killed by one of the GKs rather than the invader - was that the case? If so, did the invader get anything from invading? Just wondered.)

it looked like you eventually got killed by one of the GKs rather than the invader - was that the case? If so, did the invader get anything from invading? Just wondered.)

Yep, he got whatever his covenant offers for player kills, just because I died. It was really cheap of him to just go at me while I was busy but some people are just there to get covenant things. If they can't spare the time to have a fun fight, that's their loss.