The Dark Mod Forums

Some suggestions and points

Psychomorph

First let me say that you have outdone yourself with the 1.08 release. Many fixes and improvements. The night sky is incredible!

I'm a big "sneak key" user, just like to sneak around, but being so slow and do things like leaning and opening door still at a normal, fast pace suddenly seemed off. Would it be possible to make leaning and opening doors also slowed down when you hold down the sneak key? Would be really awesome. I'd do the same for climbing on things and climbing on ropes. Basically every possible action should be performed stealthy (slower) when holding the sneak key.

Crouching. May be just personal opinion, but the going to crouch process seems a bit too fast. I know you need to react fast when about to be spotted, but maybe it can be made less like snapping into it but more smoother. However, even if you disagree here and also to come back to the sneak key; I'd also love to have the going crouch thing be slowed down when holding the sneak key. Slower door opening, leaning and going crouched when holding sneak key would be perfect.

Some might wonder why it's so important to me. Well, if it would make you less noticeable when doing these things slower than this would be a good reason, but my personal reason is the immersion and experience level. If you move careful and slow, than within this context you should do more actions likewise.

Would it be possible to keep the looking glass overlay and readables in 4:3 format when using a widescreen resolution? I hate when things get stretched, especially with scopes and such.

Not of much importance, but I'd love to have a bit more realistic looking-glass behaviour. That means no fluid zoom in, but a snap into zoom at fixed magnification and maybe a simple and fast looking-glass effect/animation. Like this.

I have the visibility gem off, but when hit there is the health bar that can't be deactivated. Maybe there can be the option to deactivate also this? Anyway, I actually think a single sword and arrow hit should kill and if not than you should consider yourself lucky, you don't need a health-bar to tell you this. Injury can have certain effects that can be removed or diminished by the healing potion. Just a thought.

Playing with the gem off is kind of nice. I look at the ground below me or the wall behind me to tell how visible I am and it works so far, as long the map doesn't ask of me to do some crazy/absurd hiding maneuvers (like cramming yourself in a few inches wide strip of shadow). -_-

It's probably a Doom3 thing (some id games have this annoyance), but it is impossible to minimize the game. If at all you can Alt+Tab to get the taskbar which you can't use anyway. Can TDM fix it for itself? Funny that id, as an iconic PC game developer, could not get this right. Probably not a big deal for most.

Overall TDM is a blast and the FM missions do it justice. I played some couple of modern game releases lately. Boring. TDM on the other hand is really immersive and awesome. Only thing that recent console ports get right is adjustable FOV (took them long enough).

Edited by Psychomorph

* slowing down things: I guess it would be possible to slow down the animation (changing from standing to crouch is done via a player animation, the camera just follows along if I'm not mistaken) when you press the sneak key (which is actually named "creep" if I'm right?) Leaning would be the same, and this might actually be a very cool idea, because sometimes you lean around a corner and are detected, but since the lean is too fast, you can't abort it midway. Same goes for mantling.

Of course, some people like this, some won't, so it would probably need another setting in the menu *sigh*

Slowing down doors is not easy, because doors operate on their own. We always wished we had a "door manipulation" that works via the grabber - you grab the door, then swing it open/close by l moving your mouse. But it's not implemented. So slowing down doors is quite complicated (the door would need to modify it's speed depending on what key the player pressed, and it would need to be disabled for some doors (lik a fast falling grate etc).

* Yeah, the GUI does not really work too well with 16:10, 16:9 or any other aspect ratio. This was on my TODO but before we had the source was complicated - and now I lost interest and have almost zero time for TDM. Anyway, it is possible, just quite some work, as the menu always covers the entire screen and to change this you have to dig deep into the code.

* animation for the spyglass: this sounds nice, I guess it could be done with a single static image and a GUI transition.

* hiding the health bar. Uh, are you sure this is a good idea? It gives you vital information. It would also mean yet-another-setting (like a CVAR). Certainly doable, but I'm not sure its really a good idea.

* minimizing: for v1.08 there was quite some work going into this area, I'm surprised it doesn't work. What OS do you have? In any event, that sounds like a bug we should fix.

Thank you fo your feedback :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

According the slowed odwn door movement. Ravenshield used the mouse wheel for that purpose. You could use the "use" key to open it up immediately or the mouse wheel to open it up very slow. The point there was that the enemies reacted to opened doors, thus meaning that they heared it when you open the door fast and looked into that direction. As long as such behaviour shall not be implemented to the AI I don't see what use you have from such things. (The AI in Ravenshield also heard it when you switched your weapon close to them ;) ).

There were already some discussions about making the AI more realistic/the game a bit more difficult. But I guess some people may be distracted if we are overdoing it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently discovered TDM I am hugely impressed with the project. I was thinking of asking my favorite IGN podcasters to give a shout-out, hopefully generating more buzz, and that got me thinking it would be useful to have some sort of ranking system for the maps, rather than an alphabetical listing, so new users will be more likely to try something that will hook them rather than something that might come off as a little half-baked.

For the record, all the seven missions I've played so far have been fantastic, but I look at user feedback on the site before deciding on a mission, and I have to assume there are varying degrees of quality. Hopefully new users will start with the included St. Lucia's, which is of course fantastic.

Maybe a rating system would be logistically difficult; I don't know. But again, it might help newer users more easily navigate to the best quality experiences. And a ranking system may increase content generation by encouraging some friendly competition.

Anyway, I can't say enough about all the love and care that clearly goes into this project. :)

Thanks Gungnir. :) We've talked about a rating system before, but it isn't an easy thing to implement and not everyone favours the idea. Hopefully including an updated St. Lucia in the main download will ensure that people have a good first experience.