The Dark Mod Forums

Out of slots for collision models

DeTeEff

I get this error when trying to start my current map...I can dmap it but it crashes to the menu upon trying to start the map...

idCollisionModelManagerLocal::LoadModel: no free slots

I have currently 7736 entities and according to the wiki:

"So keep your entities well below 7000 or even 6000."

Does this mean I've got to remove entities or is it possible to raise the roof in this case...?

I think the limit is fixed. As it is the collision manager who starts complaining, you may think about making some of the entities non-solid and see if that helps. Another possibility is to merge several func_static's into one and to spawn entities only when needed and remove them if not.

If none of this help, you could think about splitting your map into two.

EDIT: Tels did some tricks for his SEED system to spawn/cull entities and merge them together during runtime. I think this is done via scripting, so you may wanna take a look.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It was this text from the wiki that got me thinking:

"It's possible to raise the entity limit in the SDK further, but usually we won't do that until it's absolutely necessary. Some of the biggest maps have currently in the range of 4000..5000 entities, and this is already pushing the boundaries in terms of memory and CPU - spawning entities costs, time, too."

Yep. I know that.

If you wanna raise the level, you have to trick a bit, as said above.

Prior to 1.08, the model limit was 2048. In 1.08, I doubled it to 4096, but I don't recall what incident prompted that. My comment in the bugtracker issue was "larger maps can hit this limit", meaning "can hit 2048", so your map must have twice the number of models as a large map. A forum search turns up nothing.

Lots of small things sitting around?

Is it the mission you are currently beta-testing?

If so, you can merge a lot of the func_statics. For example the metal stairway at the outsides etc..

In addition, you have a lot of stuff that is still worldspawn. Not good performance-wise, but in addition you could make it non-solid so it may not bump up your cm file that much (it is really large).

You should also consider clipping the parts of the map where the player can't get to, also horizontal-wise.

I have done a lot f_s-ing since I released that version though, but there are places that can be optimized...the thing is that combining f_ss is not very good as it splits the thing up in lots more tris than dividing them into several f_ss does. But of course I've started to do this in several places as it seems I've got no choice...

Edited by Fieldmedic

Since you only recently hit the limit, my suggestion is the same as Obsttorte's: combine func_statics.

You don't need to do a wholesale ginormous effort. Just start merging func_statics where it makes sense, perhaps 10 at a time, until you get yourself back under the limit.

Since dmap doesn't always overwrite the cm file, make sure you delete it before each dmap.