The Dark Mod Forums

Preliminary testing for my first FM...

RJFerret

I'd shared this a few days ago in the "what you're working on thread"...

Land09forForum.jpg

Now I've reached a stopping point. It's playable on easy, but before I add a ton more, it would really help to know if it performs okay on a system that might struggle with some maps.

And would someone experienced at poking around newbie maps like to see if my new builder ignorance shines through, before I naively continue on and design more trouble? ;-)

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Why not first hone the mission to the best condition you can get it, and then push it into betatest phase?

Um, it is in the best condition I can get it? It won't see any expected changes to this part. Like I said, I've reached a stopping point, and it's playable. So it's kind of beyond a technical beta test phase, as there's nothing more on my change list for this bit currently, no apparent bugs, and usable (in my environment).

Either it checks out fun/OK for folks, and it's worth moving forward, or it doesn't work, and I bail. (Or nobody wants new missions, or enjoys my design style, and I've already wasted effort.) Now's the time to cut the bleeding if there's bleeding I don't know about. ;-) I obviously have no way of knowing if there's bleeding, because it all seems fine to me! Ironically, I've had fun playing it, despite being it's creator.

However I wouldn't presume it's releasable, since it's my first creation. I'm wise enough to know I'm ignorant of many things, it's not what you don't know, it's what you have no idea you might even want to gain knowledge of, and creating missions is a very involved process. Even if I did presume it was releasable, I'd still want help/feedback to give insights. Such things are a team effort, and I can't get that input without asking for assistance. ;-)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

I have a shitty laptop so if you want me to give it a try send me a PM and I can give you some feedback on the laggy areas

(Or nobody wants new missions, or enjoys my design style, and I've already wasted effort.)

Not. Hopefully not a wasted effort; because it has been fun working on it?

I've had fun playing it, despite being it's creator.

And whatsmoretoo.

Anyway, I don't consider my system low-end (though I have been having some troubles lately with mammoth missions), I do consider that I'm a good critic; a thorough explorer; a pretty good readables reader in relation to readability of what is to readily ready to read; and willing to take a looksee.

• Like 1

PM sent, thanks!

Correct, it HAS been fun to work on, but work as well. And obviously takes time away from other things, like playing! ;-) It's a wonderful addiction, when I've spent to many hours creating, playing a mission is a good break. When I've completed that mission, what do we turn to since the software's already loaded up? ;-)

But I've created a LOT of 3D content in my career, and earned good money doing it once upon a time. I also used to be involved hosting a 3D building game in Second Life, where it's ridiculously easy to create for your own pleasure. I really appreciate all the development that went in to providing TDM for all of us to enjoy, and my motivation is to give back as much as I can. I've already received hours of entertainment value, and I've only gone through some of the missions. So I'd like to provide some fun for others, and new stuff may encourage others to create too.

Frankly, the quality of missions out there is rather impressive, and possibly intimidating for up and coming mappers. But we don't get new content, if we don't generate new content! ;-)

• Like 1

Frankly, the quality of missions out there is rather impressive, and possibly intimidating for up and coming mappers. But we don't get new content, if we don't generate new content! ;-)

IMO, I wouldnt let that get to you. As discussed recently in some other post, the scale or quality of other missions shouldnt hinder anyone from trying out their own creations. Its not really a race for the top, or a responsability for creating ever more epic missions than the previous ones. Its simply about having a personnal take on a certain idea for a story/adventure, that you want to share and let people enjoy. So, take Winter Harvest (Im talking about the first edition by Shadowhide, I havent fully played Bikerdude's remake of it) - your picture reminds me of it a bit because of the open space; inside the TDM FMs list its a rather unique work because it is much more associated with exploration RPGs than Thief gameplay (if at all). Since its such a particular mission, there's nothing to compare it with, you just have to go there and enjoy what was created. I dont see any problems with people following this take on things.

*nods, yups, I'm more accepting of my own limitations than others might be though, and have less shame.

I also specifically started to get involved mapping before I'd played many more missions so I'd be able to share my personal ideas before getting too influenced by "this is how most others do things". :-) I tend to be an out of the box type, but fall into ruts later on, so want to stave off that ultimate parroting of what's come before as long as possible.