The Dark Mod Forums

GTX 660 ordered, to replace my 550Ti

PranQster

How expensive was it, and how come you didn't get a newer 760 instead?

I'm not too familiar with the 660 vs the 760, and I know that some manufacturers try to screw people by relabeling older parts as newer parts to sell them again/at a higher price. That isn't the case with the 660/760, is it? I ask because I am still interested in the 760 and if its just a rebadged 660, I obviously will do what you did.

Edited by lost_soul
  • Like 1

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I went with the 660 instead of the 760 for a few reasons. First. I didn't want to spend much more than $200 right now. The 760 would have been an additional ~$50 or so. It does get about ~15-20% performance gain over the 660, but the 660 already gets double the performance of my 550ti, more so at the higher resolutions.

I went with Asus this time... factory overclocked to 1020MHz

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered from Amazon, but Newegg has much better details: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121660

Also, some new DVI cables to hook it up: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One thing I noticed is that the 760 is based on the GK104 core, like the 660TI is. The 600 (non-TI) has the GK-106 core. I don't know all the specs yet for those two chips, but I'm sure each has advantages.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

personally i think $200 is not a big enough budget to warrant an upgrade from 550ti if you aren't planning on upgrading again for a while. Should of saved up a bit more and jumped on the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce train with me and biker. choo choo!

http://www.anandtech...duct/541?vs=598

actually, i take it back. somehow the prices have actually become higher since sep 2012 when i bought mine new for $380. unbelievable.

Edited by ungoliant
  • Like 1

somehow the prices have actually become higher since sep 2012 when i bought mine new for $380. unbelievable.

Yeah, the massive leaps in price/performance that were around fifteen years ago are no more, sadly. Just yesterday I saw a tablet that is slower than the model I purchased last year being sold for more than mine cost at that time! lol

Its like we're being overcharged for a stale bag of chips, just because they can.

Edited by lost_soul

Was there anything about it that was improved? More RAM, or more storage? I'm hoping that laptops will start coming standard with SSHD's soon, that would be fantastic.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

My budget tablet from a year ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G0U26292 (I got it for less than that)

That new tablet: http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-lite-7-0-android-tablet-goes-on-sale-for-159-99-7000026378/

As for SSDs becoming standard in mainstream laptops, not gonna happen for a LONG time. As long as they can peddle crappy 5400 RPM drives to people who don't know any better, they will.

I wasn't talking about SSD's in relation to the laptops, I was talking about SSHD's. SSD's are far too expensive vs capacity for mainstream adoption, and probably will be for a long time to come. SSHD's are often only a few dollars more than the otherwise identical HDD.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

The 660 is now installed. I have yet to really test it, but I like it so far. Now in 1920x1200 mode, with 8x AA and 2x aniso enabled, I am getting similar frame rates to my 550ti in 1440x900 with AA and Aniso both turned off.

I'll have to play with those settings to see what looks/performs best together.

It did take a bit of experimenting to get TDM to get a good frame rate though. I needed to use nvidia-settings to 'override application settings' for AA and Aniso, else I got poor frame rate in either resolution, no matter if I used AA or not.

I have tried that and mostly found it to auto-scale performance properly, and setting max performance didn't change the in-game performance...though I have heard of this working for others.

One curious thing I do see with TDM, and no other game, is often TDM will start up about ~20-30fps lower than it should. I then have to exit TDM, wait about 2-3 minutes, then re-start TDM and then the frame rate will be proper.

I have seen this off/on for a long time. I used to think it was a .cfg problem, but have since found that giving the GPU "a break" before launching TDM is often necessary. Maybe an issue with the vid card freeing up memory from the previous application which used it? I don't know.

Edited by PranQster