The Dark Mod Forums

Few more questions..

Wallace

1) I've been on rare occasions getting a CTD whenever I quick save, which has corrupted my save when I try to reload. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a work-around or way to prevent it? Is hard saving more stable?

2) Sometimes doors will shut on their own. Are they supposed to be doing this?

3) Is food supposed to restore health? Often I eat and don't get any health back.

4) Are there any cheats? Not that I plan to use them, but for using god mode to easily get to my previous place should my save become corrupted.

2. The mapper can set the door to auto close after x seconds, this is usually to close a visportal and stop the area behind the door rendering to keep performance up.

4. Yes, there's a thread kicking around in here somewhere with them in it but they do exist. Notarget and noclip are the 2 I prefer to get back progress lost by a corrupted save

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Hullo and welcome.

1 - This happens more often with larger missions the further into them you get. We think something's being overrun in the data-saving process, but so far it's been difficult to nail down. Quicksaves and normal saves are the same process, so I imagine they'll both fail the same way. The only workaround is to save often, so you don't have to back up too far to a previous save when it happens.

2 - Yes, map authors can set doors to auto-shut. The norm is to not auto-shut, but there might be circumstances that call for auto-shutting. This also helps performance, which is why some authors might auto-shut everything.

3 - Food restores health, but at very small amounts which are probably not noticeable in the health bar.

4 - "god" gives you god mode. "noclip" lets you fly anywhere. "notarget" makes it so AI don't know you're there. Be careful with "noclip" on older systems, because traveling into the void (outside the map, inside walls, etc.) can lock up the game.

1) If you have lots of quicksave crashes, perhaps use this script, which saves backup quicksaves you can restore to: http://forums.thedar...195#entry258195

3) Food restores all of 1, yes 1, health. So negligible unless you eat a 100 apples.

4) noclip;notarget are the usual ones, which may be used together with the semicolon just like I wrote it. Press ctrl-alt-~ to get the console.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley