The Dark Mod Forums

Applying a texture to a .ASE model in Blender 2.54 : arrggh!

Bikerdude

When you create new materials remember that you can mix diffuse maps with different normalmaps.

Vertex painting:

- go into vertex paint mode, enable 'face selection masking'

- select faces you want to paint on, using shift-right mouse button or a circle select ('c')

- set color to black and paint

- usually you don't want to create sharp borders, you want textures to blend gradually

It's only a model...

I don't know how the version of ASE exporter you are using is handling this, but here I explained how to do it in Blender 2.70 with this exporter without manual editing of .ase file. There are some other problems with your model, which I'll explain later.

It's only a model...

Sweet, thanks! but after a quick look it looks like it exports only, so I will have to have multiple version of blender installed etc.

On a different blender related note, how do i increase the tessilation (amounts of divisions/verts) on a model to make it smoother..?

On a different blender related note, how do i increase the tessilation (amounts of divisions/verts) on a model to make it smoother..?

Here's how it works in 2.70. In edit mode select all (a), in the left panel (t) press 'subdivide'. In the left bottom corner there will be additional options. Alternatively you can press F6 to open window with the same options. 'Number of cuts' means how many times it will be subdivided. One subdivision increases number of tris from 1911 to 7644. Make sure you set 'smoothness' to 1, otherwise you will have more tris without any effect. Rest of the options doesn't matter in this case.

Another way to subdivide is to use 'subdivision surface' modifier. However since the cave is all tris it will produce bad topology.

UV map is stretched with square texture on:

It looks like you unwrapped the model with a rectangle image open:

Proportions of the texture are important. The same uv map will have a different effect with images of different proportions. So unless you're going to use an image like 512x1024px you will need to fix uv.

You can scale it to 0.5 on x axis. In order to do this: in 'uv/image editor' select all ('a'), press 's' for scale, press 'x' - this will lock scaling to this axis only and type in 0.5. Press enter.

It's only a model...

• Here's how it works in 2.70.
  • It looks like you unwrapped the model with a rectangle image open:

• I will try that.
  • Ah, that must have happened when I was trying different TDm textures.

Oh man Blender 2.70 movement is so much better and inutative than 2.54! Its like DR, simple updown left and right no bloody spiining around nonsense as per 2.54. Now if only there is both an import and export script for .ASE files....

Don't give up :)

Just don't let the exporter recalculate the normals. Recalculating normals means that Blender will try to guess where's inside and where's outside of the model. This is sometimes helpful when during editing some faces turn out to be flipped. This tool will then make sure that all faces of the model have texture on the same side. Usually recalculating normals wouldn't hurt but in this case it will flip the normals inside out.

So reload the model in Blender, make sure textures are on the right side and to export with these settings:

Also uncheck the materials checkboxes as they seem to screw the model in Darkmod.

It's only a model...