The Dark Mod Forums

What Directory For New Models?

Ishtvan

@Oddity: I would like to do a CVS update very soon that will include your Revenant models. In the zip file you have on ftp, they are put in the directory "darkmod/models/mymodels" Is this the location you modeler guys want to have them in CVS? Or should we add a new folder like models/characters (/char for short)?

Also the same goes for the "mytextures" folder in textures.

I have no idea where this stuff is supposed to go, and I want to put it in the right place when I update CVS, so we don't have to remove them from CVS and re-place them later. What's the SOP on this?

Also, it would be awesome if you could put a .zip file on the ftp with all the necessary files in the correct paths, once we decide what those are. But if you don't have time to do that, you guys can just tell me the paths you want and I'll put them there.

ALSO: Any news on what frames in the animation should have footsteps? I can try and judge it myself, but this will take type, and I'm no animator/sound editor, so the sync up to the animation may be crap :) But once I know what frames to put in the footsteps, adding footstep sounds for the Revenant will be a a very simple matter of editing only 2 or 3 lines in the def file.

I want to get footsteps on them so you can hear them move around as they patrol (although NH's Benny humming impersonation is doing a pretty good job of that right now :)

Edited by Ishtvan

I already told you the frame numbers the first time you asked -

The walk is frame 9 (left foot contact) and 22 (RIght foot contact)

The run is 2 and 12.

THe model directories can be anything.

'models/chars/undead/revenant' would proably work for the Revenants, and zombies can have 'models/chars/undead/zombies' prelates 'models/chars/builders/prelate' noble woman models/chars/noncombat/noblefemale etc.

THe textures were only the ones I had on the map, not the charcaters.

The meshes and anims for the revenant would go in 'models/md5/chars/undead/revenant' and it's textures go in 'models/chars/undead/revenant'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It would be great if someone with CVS access who knew where model files were supposed to go would upload the globe from the ftp site.

Okay another question for oddity: Do you know about what frame in the attack animation the fist is making contact with the player? I need to know that to add in the damage and knockback when it punches you in the face :)

EDIT: Nevermind

I didn't know it could tell you the frame number when you play the anim in the editor.. it looks like the instant of fist-to-face contact is somewhere around frame 10.

Edited by Ishtvan

@Oddity: I would like to do a CVS update very soon that will include your Revenant models.  In the zip file you have on ftp, they are put in the directory "darkmod/models/mymodels"  Is this the location you modeler guys want to have them in CVS?

Definitly not! BT created a usefull tree for that, so you should look it up, or we need to define it if this is not included yet. It would be more likely something like models/characters/revenant

Also the same goes for the "mytextures" folder in textures.

Texttures for models are stored in models/textures IMO. NH came up with that, so we don't need to change path all the time if we need to move a model.

Gerhard

It would be great if someone with CVS access who knew where model files were supposed to go would upload the globe from the ftp site.

I can look into this tonight. Where is the globe and what does it need? Is the globe now seperate from it's base, so that it can be spun?

Gerhard

Since we're having 50+ characters, it would be useful not to throw them all into the same 'characters' foler. Like I said, it should have its own 'models/md5/characters/undead/revenant' folder, and the charcater textures do not go into the textures folder at all, they go into the 'models/characters/undead/revenant' folder.

At least that's the folder structure Doom uses, I see no need to change it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I can look into this tonight. Where is the globe and what does it need? Is the globe now seperate from it's base, so that it can be spun?

Can you maske it spin at that odd angle as a static mesh, or will it have to be an Md5 mesh?

- Emil Zola

character models site

I can make it spin any angle. Just have to know which angle it should be, but thtat's not really the problem. If it has no animation, I can create a frobable entity from it, so that it starts spinning when it is frobbed. But for this the sphere must be a seperate object because from the code I can only rotate the entire object.

Gerhard

Okay I'm trying to rewrite the .mtr and stuff myself.. but I may need help

Like where do you specify the .mtr file to use? I renamed it revenant for clarity, but i have no idea what tells it to use guard.mtr...

Edited by Ishtvan

Also since you want to change the md5/ directory.. what other things to I have to change to make it work with that path??

Also, I didn't know if this was a builder guard, or just a generic guard or what, so I put the md5s and mesh in models/chars/guard/

[edit nevermind... think i got it]

Edited by Ishtvan

I also see that in the def file, it is playing the guard idle animation instead of the revenant idle animation. did you want it hat way? last chance before CVS update :)

Holy shit!! I just looked at that one, and it would work GREAT for when they notice a sound.. I'm putting that in the script right now!

[EDIT: No I'm not! It's more complicated than I thought and I just want to finish this begoddamn update and go to sleep...]

Edited by Ishtvan

Lol, I don't know what information you need now and what you don't. I wish you wouldn't condradict your own posts as often - I think sleep might help you...

What happen was, that cory did the original script for the hammer guard model. but then I made the revenant and just used the guard script for it.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yes, sleep would definitely help. I think it's all done tho. It's uploading the maps as the final step.. I think I'll go to sleep and leave it uploading the maps. Hopefully it'll be done soon.

I just didn't know if you had to change any of the paths within the .md5 files themselves, but apparenlt you don't, changing the paths in the def file and in the .mtr file seemed to suffice.

Edited by Ishtvan