The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ CPU/GPU News

jaxa

gah... ok makes sense in a way now 256 bit bus and back then at the chip shortage time micron could only deliver gddr6x with 1 gb pr chip = 32 bit x 8 = 256 bit bus. sadly while the 3090 which was a hotplate in its original configuration with vram on both sides of the card, got 2 gb chips when they became avaliable so they could move them to the front and get rid of the heat issues the 3070 newer got the same chips. to make matters worse the stock 3070 has gddr6 which has only half the bandwidth of gddr6x but atleast the ti version got stocked with gddr6x chips so at high resolutions it should make a dent but at lower resolutions they performed to close to each other to really justify upgrading.

Posted (edited)

The original sin of the RTX 3070 is the VRAM amount, not the bandwidth. 7600 XT 16 GB has half the bus width and 64% the bandwidth (288 vs 448 GB/s), and even it can be made to benefit from the doubled VRAM.

You're going to see some RTX 5000 cards with 256-bit bus and 16 GB, 192-bit and 12 GB. Though it will be faster GDDR7.

Edited by jaxa

for the original 3070 id agree it was the ammount though the increased bandwidth in the ti models should help in 4k hell even the old AMD fury-x could at the time run 4k with only 4gb due to the hbm memory being that much faster to swap but yeah theres more than one way to skin a rhinocereus 😉. a 3070 with 2 gb gddr6x 16 gb would have been pretty interresting to say the least 😆.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• OrbWeaver

Has anyone had any luck with textures from Polyhaven? Their OpenEXR normal maps seem too washed out and give incorrect shading in the engine.
      · 3 replies
    • datiswous

I tried to upscale the TDM logo video. First try:

briefing_video.mp4 You can test it ingame by making a copy of the core tdm_gui.mtr and place it in your-tdm-root/materials/ , then edit line 249 of that file into the location where you placed the new briefing.mp4 file.
      What I did was I extracted all the image files, then used Upscayl to upscale the images using General photo (Real-Esrgan) upscale setting and then turn it back into a video.
      I might have to crop it a bit, the logo looks smaller on screen (or maybe it's actually better this way?). My video editor turned it into a 16:9 video, which I think overal looks better than 1:1 video of original.
      · 1 reply
    • nbohr1more

Trying to be productive on my down-time before Capcom releases Akuma and my son is constantly on my PC playing Street Fighter...
      · 1 reply
    • OrbWeaver

Finally got round to publishing a tutorial on baking normal maps in Blender, since most of the ones we have are inaccessible or years out of date.
      · 2 replies
    • nbohr1more

The FAQ wiki is almost a proper FAQ now. Probably need to spin-off a bunch of the "remedies" for playing older TDM versions into their own article.
      · 1 reply