The Dark Mod Forums

Gamepad bindings

Fiver

In the file DarkmodPadbinds.cfg (https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Bindings_and_User_Settings):

1)
bindPadButton LONG_PRESS PAD_B "_mantle" is listed and does what it says.
bindPadButton LONG_PRESS PAD_A appears to do "jump-mantle". Standing in front of a box and doing jump will differ from doing "jump-mantle".
Why is "jump-mantle" not listed in the file? (And how come it works without being listed in the file?)

2)
bindPadButton MODIFIER PAD_L2 appears to bind a modifier functionality to the "button name" PAD_L2. If a user wants to find out the "button name" of other buttons on their gamepad (e.g. buttons which are not currently listed in the file), what would be a good way to do that?

3)
Will TDM be able to recognize unusual "button names" (i.e. be able to capture any "button name" or will button names have to be implemented in the code before it works)?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 12:47 AM, Fiver said:

bindPadButton LONG_PRESS PAD_B "_mantle" is listed and does what it says.
bindPadButton LONG_PRESS PAD_A appears to do "jump-mantle". Standing in front of a box and doing jump will differ from doing "jump-mantle".
Why is "jump-mantle" not listed in the file? (And how come it works without being listed in the file?)

Because internally these two actions are called _jump and _mantle, and you are looking at .cfg file where internal names are used. If someone makes a submenu for configuring controllers, I guess it can be named as jump/mantle there.

bindPadButton MODIFIER PAD_L2 appears to bind a modifier functionality to the "button name" PAD_L2. If a user wants to find out the "button name" of other buttons on their gamepad (e.g. buttons which are not currently listed in the file), what would be a good way to do that?

You probably find answer here: https://github.com/fholger/thedarkmodvr/wiki/Gamepad-support

Will TDM be able to recognize unusual "button names" (i.e. be able to capture any "button name" or will button names have to be implemented in the code before it works)?

No idea what you mean exactly, so I suppose it will not.

In general, experimental controller support was initially done by @cabalistic and there was no user-friendly configuration. Nothing changed since then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

1)
Doing LONG_PRESS PAD_A (what I, for lack of knowledge, call "jump-mantle" or "_jumpmantle") differs from doing PRESS PAD_A ("_jump").

"_jumpmantle" differs from "_mantle", so they must be mapped to different button-calls.
"_jumpmantle" differs from "_jump", so they must also be mapped to different button-calls.

This appears to be the case, but it is not evident (or changeable) in DarkmodPadbinds.cfg.

"_jumpmantle" seems to be hard coded to always connect to the same button as "_jump" but with a long press. It is as if bindPadButton PRESS PAD_A "_jump" is not actually just binding PRESS PAD_A to "_jump", but rather interpreted as "link PAD_A (regardless of button press time) to behave exactly like keyboard SPACE for short and long presses".

I would have expected the default DarkmodPadbinds.cfg to explicitly read:
bindPadButton PRESS PAD_A "_jump"
bindPadButton LONG_PRESS PAD_A "_jumpmantle"
bindPadButton PRESS PAD_B "_crouch"
bindPadButton LONG_PRESS PAD_B "_mantle"
... but neither LONG_PRESS PAD_A or "_jumpmantle" is listed in the file.

If there are actions "_jump" and "_mantle", I suppose there must also be an action "_jumpmantle" since it is possible for the player to do all those movements:
* "_mantle" does the movements "crouch on the high surface, then stand up"
* "_jumpmantle" idoes the movements "jump slightly forward, then land standing on the high surface"
* "_jump" idoes the movements "jump up, then land exactly where you started"

If the actions "_jump" and "_moveup" are not synonymous, then perhaps the action "_moveup" is what i call "_jumpmantle"?

2)
Thanks for the link! It was useful in more than one way. I'll link to that page from https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Bindings_and_User_Settings#Gamepad_Default_Bindings if I can get an account on the wiki, which proved more difficult than i thought 🙂 (https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22327-how-can-i-create-an-account-on-the-tdm-wiki/).

However, it does not answer my question how to find out the name ("<button>") used for a button on my gamepad. Basically, I would need to press the button on my gamepad and some program could tell me "That button is called 'PAD_A'". In my case, I have a gamepad "Logitech F310" (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Logitech_F310_Gamepad.jpg) which has a "Logitech button" (see image) that I want to use. I was hoping to find out the "button name" for that button and then edit DarkmodPadbinds.cfg to map it to a function.

3)
... but if that button has an "unusual name" that TDM does not recognize, then it may perhaps not work. E.g. if that button is called "PAD_LOGITECH" and TDM cannot recognize that name, then I cannot map anything to it via DarkmodPadbinds.cfg. Using QJoyPad I can map any keyboard key to it instead, as a workaround, but I cannot map MODIFIER to it (since MODIFIER cannot be set to a keyboard key).

If current implementation is still called "experimental", then I must say it works very well; @cabalistic: kudos for that! I may not have continued playing TDM had it not worked with a gamepad.

Edited by Fiver
link url
  • Like 1