The Dark Mod Forums

Door Handles

Springheel

One thing that continually stands out when I look out our screenshots is the lack of doorhandles on the doors. Any chance we could get a modeler to do one basic one? It doesn't even have to animate right now. Just having it available to the mappers would be great.

(I'm pretty sure DeepO did some but I don't know where they are).

I'm not sure what the coders need to do with it right now? It's just a model attached to the door, right? AFAIK, you don't specifically frob the handle unless you're in lockpicking mode.

I still don't get it. Do you have someone who is starting on lockpicking right now? If not, then you won't need a handle until then, right?

I don't think lockpicking is anywhere on the horizon yet. By then we'll have lots of different door handles. I just want one for our mappers to use in the meantime so the screenshots (and movie) with doors won't look so conspicuous.

I think the confusion between Spar and Spring is that:

1. The door handle will be frobbable but not the door

2. The entire door will be frobbable, the handle is just part of the mesh, but adding it to the mesh will affect the Z (depth) size of the door and affect sound prop code maybe?

Other than that, I'm not sure what the big deal about modelling handles for doors is yet. I would think you just add the handle to the door mesh and upload it as one model file.

Handles are sperate objects and should NOT be included in the doormesh. Otherwise they wont be frobbable obviously. A handle must be tagged on a door so we can properly pick it when we start implementing this.

Doors are nothing specialy. They are just a brush with a CDarkmodDoor entity assigned to it. We don't need special models for the doors.

Gerhard

Doors definitely have to be entities. Otherwise they can't be frobbed, and this would be bad for opening them. :) If this is a problem, then maybe we can create a doorsurface, but I don't know how I would apply the frobhiglight, because I think this is only possible for entities because it requires the shaderparms to work.

Gerhard

I have to check it. I seem to think that you frobbed the handle individually if it were locked. Well, I guess in the end it doesn't matter much. I thought it would be easier for modelers/FM authors because this way they will have to create all kind of doors when the handle is attached, while otehrwise they can just plugin the one they like.

Gerhard

Yeah, we had talked about having lots of different kinds of locks of differing difficulty levels, so it would have to be easy to mix and match them. I didn't think it was very hard to attach a model to an entity and have it move. Perhaps it is. If so, then it isn't important right now.

And Dom is right, in the original games you didn't frob the lock specifically, just the door. However, for our lockpicking I think we had talked about just frobbing the lock. I can't recall. However, if we're able to frob two different parts of a candle, then it should work for doors too.

Well, we'll probably have to go back and revisit lockpicking when the time comes, but that's a feature that can wait. As long as keys work, lockpicking can be left until near the end.

But it would still be nice to get some handles on those doors if it isn't much work, just for the sake of the screenshots.