The Dark Mod Forums

Possible Menu Concept

Springheel

Opens with the crackling fire in our view...we hear the sound of a rope arrow ...thwooop-twang..slight creaking noises..the camera begins to pan right towards the window, we hear a creak and light footsteps. The camera finally settles on the window only to reveal that it is wide open and the rain is pouring in, but there isn't anyone in sight. The camera continues to zoom in and settle as your video demonstrated. Then the rest unfolds as you described with the silhouette and such.  I really like the mood Springheel. It's very nice.

Yeah, I thoght about something like that too, but was afraid it might make the animation too long. But we could probably do the sounds in just a few seconds, then cue music. I like it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the mood Springheel.  It's very nice.

That menu is absolutely beautyfull! If we vote then I would take this! :)

It's not overloaded with characteres or stuff and conveyes perfectly the Thief mood. A masterpiece. :)

The only question that I still have is: Can we make it look more dangerous? Or can we achieve this quality with a background sound? after all thief is not a romantic moonwalk.

Gerhard

Yeah, I would vote against lightning. But we don't have to do the blue glow if the window is clear. I just want to be able to see the city clearly--see the smokestacks and the window-lights going on and off. A cold wind could be blowing into the room.

I like this idea for a few reasons:

1. It's simple.

2. It showcases the engine

3. It includes the two environments that capture the essence of Thief...a mansion and the city itself.

4. It will have little animations to watch, but nothing distracting

5. The viewer feels like the are already in the game, a little.

Yeah, I would vote against lightning.  But we don't have to do the blue glow if the window is clear.  I just want to be able to see the city clearly--see the smokestacks and the window-lights going on and off.  A cold wind could be blowing into the room.

To show the wind you would need a curtain flapping. And maybe the window clapping in the wind.

I like this idea for a few reasons:

1.  It's simple.

2.  It showcases the engine

3.  It includes the two environments that capture the essence of Thief...a mansion and the city itself.

4.  It will have little animations to watch, but nothing distracting

5.  The viewer feels like the are already in the game, a little.

Yeah. Tha'ts exactly why I like this image as well. It looks really good! Just want to make sure that the mood is retained.

Gerhard

To show the wind you would need a curtain flapping. And maybe the window clapping in the wind.

You could, but you wouldn't have to. I don't think Thief windows have every had curtains, have they? Something we can think about including, maybe.

Shutters might be good, as long as they didn't obscure the view too much. We'll have to see what looks good when we put it together. But first I'd need a fully-furnished mansion room.