The Dark Mod Forums

Player Model

sparhawk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daerek's player model will never be in game, but Farrell's can be in as soon as you like.

I can just knock up a low poly version without bothering to texture at this stage. I guess it just the dimensions of the model itself you need.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

We'll need at least walk, run, creep, crouch-walk, crouch-run, crouch-creep. Doing the different movement speeds might be tricky though, because I think if you look at a mirror, the player will appear to be gliding or moon-walking if the animation of the feet doesn't move at the same rate the player is sliding. However, we haven't finalized those movement rates yet, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

The way Warcraft 3 handles that, is that the movement speed of the animation is stored. Then you play the animation with time scaled by a factor of (current move speed)/(animation move speed). You'd probably still want to come up with different animations for different speeds, but it would allow you to come up with animations for when the player is moving slightly slower/faster than normal.

Leaning? WHat knid of thing is that to say?

Leaning can mean one of a 100 actions. LEaning around a corner for example is a specifc complex action.

We're goign to need more of a generic lean.

Draw an arc from above and the back and the side of what sort of movement you want he player's head to make in the lean.

Is this going to be used for the first person lean movement?

I can't help seeing these animations as a lot of work for nothing, considering they're only going to be glimsed very rarely in an occasional mirror.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

We may also want to allow AI to lean, right? So we could always just reuse animations for the player model, since they don't have to be particularly unique.

For camera reference and shadow they don't have to be very refined. Blocking in the intial animation is quick, but refining it to a finished animation takes 80% of the total time, and it's really only for mirrors that a refined animation is needed.

SO is the camera going to be attatched to the player model's head or what?

How will the lean animation affect the first person view?

I'm not sure what this animation is supposed to look like, becasue leaning is performed against a wall at a corner or around a pillar etc, you dont' lean while standing in the middle of a room.

There is no generic leaning action, it depends on the circumstances.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Depends what size your muscles are. I'm also 6' 2".

There's nothing at all unusual about the heights of 5' 7" and 6' 5".

I see men those heights any day I walk through town.

Small, light and wirey is the perfect build for a thief. He has all sorts of climbing and clambering and abseiling and rope climbing and sqeezing in and out of nooks and crannies to do.

- Emil Zola

character models site