The Dark Mod Forums

Player Model

sparhawk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 5'7"

It hasn't really been 'hid', has it? He's probably the person besides the Pope most people have seen in real life, and everyone knows he's titcher than a titmouse.

Anyway, I agree with oDD, it makes more sense for Farrell/whatever to be a short arse.

I don't think the elite guards should be that big however. I can understand a few people getting that tall, but in a medieval setting being that tall and strong is tremendously unlikely given how poor their diet was. People these days can be stocky at six foot five because they take all kinds of proteint supplements, eat a balanced diet and train on modern gym machines. In medieval times people ate turnips and the occasional hedgehog.

Lol no they didn't, at least anyone above the rank of pauper didn't.

THey did hunt animals you know, and also farmed them. They ate meat. Their diet was protein heavy. Certianly ex-champions like these guys would have had a decent diet prvidedby their masters.

YOu also dont' need any modern gym equipment to become muscular, nor protein supplements.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Certianly ex-champions like these guys would have had a decent diet prvidedby their masters.

Well I'd presume they had stopped growing at that point, unless they became master fighters at the age of 12.

Let's say about 15% of people are over six foot, about 5% six foot five or over. Bones from medieval times show people were shorter those days so it'd be more like 4%. About 1/20 that would have the physique of a rugby player. Thanks to the same limited diet that made people shorter people would also be more malnourished, with less muscle. How many of that small percent left over would be guards? How many of those would have the talent to become experts with a sword/bow? And then go on to become elite guards?

Keeping this in mind it seems rather unlikely that every elite guard in every FM that will be released featuring elite guards would be 6'5". Knock it down an inch or two to mae it believable, I'd say.

Considering how unrealistic this game is in other areas, I hardly think it necessary to study the fossil records of medieval warriors to gauge their average size, and then reflect that in our guards. :rolleyes:

Let's not get carried away. I get the feeling some people just like to nitpick fo the sake of it.

Neither 6' 5" or 5' 7"are unusual or remarkable heights.

Anyway, the professional gurds are samller, about 6' 2", and builders are 6 foot, so there are varying heights in the game.

THe elite guards are the biggest of them, and the woad covered barbarian warriors will be big as well.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I think Macsen is forgetting that this isn't a medieval docu-game.

It's not even set on Earth is it? Thief certainly wasn't. There are some things you can and should extrapolate to medieval times because otherwise they would be too anachronistic. Height related to diet is not one of them.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Considering how unrealistic this game is in other areas, I hardly think it necessary to study the fossil records of medieval warriors to gauge their average size, and then reflect that in our guards. :rolleyes:

As far as I can tell any unrealistic stuff falls within the confines of the stonepunk/steampunk sub-genres, which doesn't include giants. Everything else the team tries to get as 'realistic' as possible. But if all the other guards are 6 foot plus maybe it won't look quite so jarring. ;)

the woad covered barbarian warriors will be big as well.

Have you read the Wee Free Men? :D

I think Macsen is forgetting that this isn't a medieval docu-game.

When there's no reason to do otherwise it's always worth trying to be realistic, Sub. I know a few people are going to see the elite guard standing next to our thief in the mirror and say 'Heh, that oDDity ain't all that, he got the sizes all wrong'.

It's not even set on Earth is it? Thief certainly wasn't. There are some things you can and should extrapolate to medieval times because otherwise they would be too anachronistic. Height related to diet is not one of them.

Its near as dammit to our earth. Everything is pretty much the same with a very small variation to make it more fantasty like. The people are exactly the same, why wouldn't their nutritional needs be the same?

THere are a full array of sizes, as there should be. It would be more unrealistic if everyone was around the same height.

I have read Wee Free Men, but that would be going a bit far.

I'm actually currently going though the whole of the Discworld series starting at book one, due to a recent Pratchett audiobook flood on newsgroups.

post-51-1138219693_thumb.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Seems that our people are pretty well distributed. If the non-violent types are simialr, then I don't think we should worry to much about size. And I guess an elite guard becomes more easily an elite guard because of it's muscles and size. I know that this is not neccessarily related, but at least it is not toally out of the question.

Gerhard

how tall is Garrett? I know, do you?

He's about six foot, six foot two. Most of the people in TDS were of pretty much the same size so it didn't matter.

THere are a full array of sizes, as there should be. It would be more unrealistic if everyone was around the same height.

It is unrealistic if everyone is the same size, but it's even more unrealistic if every guard of a certain type is gigantic, every guard of a different type is small, etcetera. Small height variations should do it, but six foot three plus is too far.

I see the Merc is even taller than the Elite City Watch. His cock is pretty much level to Farrell's nipples.

I do like that 'Usual Suspects' style pick though. ;)

Well, call the merc 6' 6". the biggest bruiser in the game, and the elite city watch 6'4"

Remember some of them have big conical helmets which make them look taller than they are.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It is unrealistic if everyone is the same size, but it's even more unrealistic if every guard of a certain type is gigantic, every guard of a different type is small, etcetera. Small height variations should do it, but six foot three plus is too far.

I think nobody will complain if you help out Oddity a bit, and add additional models for variety. :)

As long as we have only one usefull human modeller, we must see that we get a good number basic models, and then we can start to create a variety. Even so it is a lot to model for Oddity and we also want to have different heads as well.

Gerhard

I think it's pretty clear that there has yet to be a consensus about the name.

I personally think the thief's height is fine, though I agree the elites are a little tall. I'm 6'5", and I don't often run into people my height.

If people are making maps based on our player model, they could easily wind up with doors too small for elite guards to get through.

I guess we can use the same procedure for the name as we used for our team name. Some time of brainstorming, and then we do a vote to find out the favourites. But NOT IN THIS THREAD!!!

We will create a seperate thread for it, so it is easier to navigate.

Gerhard

Why don't we wait until the player model is in-game? Then we can see what kind of name would best suit the way he looks (and Odd can do his best to make him look like a 'Farrell'). ;)

I don't think we should have a vote at all. I think I should name him. After all, I designed, modeled, textured and animated him. I think I should get to name him as well, and it's hardly important anyway.

No one really hates the name Farrell. Farrell Alverstone is his full name, but that'll rarely be used.

- Emil Zola

character models site