The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Organization

Gildoran

@Dram: You're running across some of the other reasons I wanted to do a reorg... badly formatted material files, references to non-existant images... textures outside of darkmod/ etc.

I think you should hold off on adding frob-code for now... I'm planning on adding the hybrid frob code, and I'm thinking I'll have the intensity controlled by parm11 (I think that's the frob-parm) so that we'll be able to adjust frob-brightness should we decide to.

Since I'm going to be looking through each material entry one at a time (and constructing meta data like a list of replacements to make to update old maps and a list of textures which might need unusual features), adding frob code doesn't save me much time, though you might be able to make better decisions than I about what sort of surface types textures should have.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! Thank god you told me not to do that in time :)

I just finished adding the material definitions and I put a note next to each texture in proper material files which seem not to exist. The material files such as mansion.mtr I have'nt touched. But everything else I've re-organized so it's easier for you to navigate. For example:

pot
{  noselfshadow

diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/pot_d.tga
specularmap models/darkmod/props/textures/pot_s.tga
bumpmap models/darkmod/props/textures/pot_local.tga
}

Now becomes:

pot
{
surftype15
description "ceramic"
noselfshadow

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/pot_d.tga
specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/pot_s.tga
bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/pot_local.tga
}

Much more organized :)

I'll upload the material files to cvs now so you can synch and get them. Or if you want I can just upload to the ftp if it's easier for you. I should add my materials too (the purse etc) so I'll upload them once I've done that. As far as I understood with my models, they're all fine except the tiara, so I won't include that one.

Anyways, almost done :)

New problem: Models such as the builder guard have armor and face on the same texture but not as a different material. I'll set this to flesh as the guys face is in it but later we should regroup things like this. What was oDD thinking...

IMO this should be changed. After all, how do we swap heads otherwise?

Gerhard

So noone's got a problem with this then?

If not I'll just do the mansion one this way too.

If nobody answers within ten minutes, it doesn't neccessarily mean that nobody has an issue with it. It could also mean that nobody has seen it yet. ;)

Gerhard

It depends on when these three hours are. If most of the members are sleeping at that time ...

I think, waiting for at least 24 hours should be sufficient. For most actions it would be ok.

Well the main reason why I did'nt wait too long is because it is a tiny issue and can be changed in literally one minute. So there's no point in holding off too long if you know what I mean.

@Gild: Done :)

My textures are incorporated into the tdm ones now. I can upload it to the ftp or to cvs. FTP might be easier since I can pack it as a zip.

I have'nt re-textured my models (rename their materials) yet because it's going to change when you finish the texture re-org. Some of them (like the purse or diamond) are'nt affected by a reorg as they use a one name material, so I can include those. Anyways, I'll resynch with cvs and then upload the materials and textures.

I have finished everything - inclufing updating my models to the new mat files. I made them use specific materials so when the texture reorg happens they'll still work.

This and this is the work of fully functional materials :) As you can see arrows only stuck in his flesh - face and hands, and in the wood and books. Because of oDD bad material assignment though, the arrows don't get stuck into his boots but anyways. This makes Ish's work easier too. He can now do the arrows ricocheting off proper materials etc.

Also, those are the default arrows, I made a model a while back and updated it recently -

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=my...winguard0vo.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontmyarrow3bz.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backmyarrow9lo.jpg

I made it the correct size and the correct arrow tip as can be seen. I can chuck that in with the update too if everyone likes it.

Ok, after a bit of looking around in cvs I've finally worked out how to update cvs :)

Sorry for the trillion messages of update you'll recieve :( as I did'nt get it at first, but now I get it and it's uploading. :)

Once it finishes updating I'll post here again so that you know to synch up. I've added my models, textures, etc. I also added a visportal texture with the words "visportal" written on it - obviously only for editor usage, but it's extremely useful and does'nt affect anything.

Now a question. I tried to add darkmod_loot.def (loot items that I made - for the tavern) but when I tried to commit it as binary, unicode, or selection (in wincvs) it kept telling me there's an error. For everything else it worked fine so I'm expecting it's something I'm not doing right. Any ideas what that might be?

Why would you add an ascii file as binary? You should avoid using binaries.

That's the problem - I don't know wtf it all means. All I know is it added my files and added them correctly, as I checked out and the files were fine. But I can't get that .def file up there. Do I just press ignore on the message or is there another way of adding it?

@Sparhawk: By "official material files", I mean ones of the form materials/tdm_*.mtr, and by official textures (and image files), I mean ones of the form textures/darkmod/*. It'd be great if you could remove write access for files of those forms from other people. (I'm not requesting write access for all material/texture files be removed from other people, just those of the format specified above) I'll probably expect that new additions be made by uploading pk4 files to CVS or FTP, then notifying me about them, rather than directly; I figure the easiest way to enforce the standards I've outlined above is if all new additions go through me. I'll make a post explaining what I'm planning and why, later today or tommorrow.

@Dram: Instead of just deleting the file, you have to tell CVS to delete it. I'll send you a PM about how to do it later today.

That's the problem - I don't know wtf it all means. All I know is it added my files and added them correctly, as I checked out and the files were fine. But I can't get that .def file up there. Do I just press ignore on the message or is there another way of adding it?

Ok, I've gotten it up there. I told it to ignore and it worked. I then deleted myone and resynched and the file was fine.

I figure the easiest way to enforce the standards I've outlined above is if all new additions go through me. I'll make a post explaining what I'm planning and why, later today or tommorrow.

I don't know if this is a good idea. It would mean everyone has to rely on you keeping them up to date. If something comes up for you and you can't do it then it means we're in a deadlock.

I think if we leave permissions open but tell everyone not to edit them then in the case of you being away we can change it.

Plus I don't really see how everyone could'nt copy/paste the current material layout, preserving the clean configuration.

Lastly, about uploading to ftp each material - it's a waste of time with ascii formatts, we can just post it here on the forum, that way we all know what materials exist etc.

We all have to keep in mind that this is for helping us along, not hinder us, so if we make it too hard to add new materials and the like then it would slow progress.

Do you know what I mean Gild? Mind, I'm not trying to offend you, just raising the important and relevant points.

@Sparhawk: By "official material files", I mean ones of the form materials/tdm_*.mtr, and by official textures (and image files), I mean ones of the form textures/darkmod/*. It'd be great if you could remove write access for files of those forms from other people. (I'm not requesting write access for all material/texture files be removed from other people, just those of the format specified above) I'll probably expect that new additions be made by uploading pk4 files to CVS or FTP, then notifying me about them, rather than directly; I figure the easiest way to enforce the standards I've outlined above is if all new additions go through me. I'll make a post explaining what I'm planning and why, later today or tommorrow.

I don't know yet how to disable write access for some people. I would have to figure it out. Especially if you say it should be based on content as well.

Gerhard

Models such as the builder guard have armor and face on the same texture but not as a different material. I'll set this to flesh as the guys face is in it but later we should regroup things like this. What was oDD thinking...

Haha, no one-hit kills, maybe?

Before a whole bunch of "darkmod_" changes are made, should we be using "TDM_" for everything? I'm about to rename the fire particles I made, if I can trick CVS into doing it again...

Haha, no one-hit kills, maybe?

Before a whole bunch of "darkmod_" changes are made, should we be using "TDM_" for everything? I'm about to rename the fire particles I made, if I can trick CVS into doing it again...

We should use tdm. The tdm_ standards was what I was going to use for the renaming of the material names in the models.

We should use tdm. The tdm_ standards was what I was going to use for the renaming of the material names in the models.

That would mean we'd have to open up -every- model and change the material name that it uses :wacko:

But I guess it'll look more clean