The Dark Mod Forums

Coins Etc Arent Set To Origin

Dram

How would you keep this from happening other than never putting AI in an area where breakable loot is found?

You seem to assume that any AI will break any loot objective, just because it can reach it.

What happens when loot breaks? I doubt we'll have a broken version of every single loot model. Is it going to just disappear? spawn random shards of something?

Obviously that would depend on the loot itself.

Gerhard

You seem to assume that any AI will break any loot objective, just because it can reach it.

I didn't say the "will" break it, I said they "can" break it.

Can we be sure that AI won't routinely bump into end-tables or otherwise do things that can knock loot objects to the ground? If that is very unlikely to happen, then we don't have to worry about it. But I know in TDS, I frequently saw AI bump into things, knocking over candles, etc.

If the table is not a physics object, nothing will happen. If the table is, it depends on how heavy it is. If our AI bumps constantly nto objects which cause loot to break, I would be rather worried about the AI bumping into objects instead of loot breaking.

Does your reasoning mean, that it would be ok, if AI bumps constantly into something, but it would be not ok if it breakes something along the way?

Gerhard

I assume AI will bump into things occasionally, unless our pathfinding is better than most games. But an AI nudging a chair isn't really a problem, while knocking over and breaking something is.

Well you can put aas obstacles (brushes with certain texture) covering table and the like and they won't try to walk into them. Doom 3 has VERY good pathfinding mind you. When it's set up properly that is.

I doubt that you will see chairs and tables flying through the air, so we would only see this for lighter objects. And since we are in medivial times, we don't have plastic chairs that would fly easily. So if loot is not generaly littering the ground, why should the AI break it? I also think it would be overkill to make the loot breakable in the first place, at this point. It's not needed for now, and if somebody wants to make it breakable, it can be done later on.

Gerhard

I also think it would be overkill to make the loot breakable in the first place, at this point.

Then why are we arguing about it right now? :P

Don't know. There ar always to aspects to a discussion. The hyptothetical "Can we do it" and the "Let's do it" part. :)

I assume we are in the first part of the discussion here, so we can continue to discuss it. Of course we wont do it in the end, because we have more important stuff to do still. :)

Gerhard