The Dark Mod Forums

Soliciting Opinions On Texture Categories

Gildoran

As the texture reorg is winding to a close, I'd like to solicit opinions on different textures and categories it would be best to put them in...

First off is textures/darkmod/castle/door/casdoor01... if you were searching for it, would you first look under wood or metal? (I know we'll probably need to use a surfacemap for this one) I'm leaning towards wood, since that's most of its surface area. Then again, most doors are wood, so if I were looking for it, the metal strips might come to mind and cause me to check the metal directory first.

Er, wouldn't it be best to just have a 'doors' folder? Does it matter how much wood or metal they have on them?

textures/darkmod/pagan/ceiling/pagceiling01

This one appears black to me. But if it's the one I'm thinking of, then it should be wood. Anything with a significant amount of wood in it should be wood, IMO.

About textures/darkmod/mansion/floor/manfloor01sh, I'm not sure if that looks like tile.

It IS a tile, but it shouldn't be classified as one for the purpose of sound--it's too rough. Stone would be more appropriate.

What about the other "tile" floors? If you update CVS and look under mansion/floor/, do the remaining textures look more like tile or stone to you for soundprop purposes?

Anything with a significant amount of wood in it should be wood, IMO.
Thank you... that'll make my job easy for some of the citywall textures. :)

What about the other "tile" floors?

I thought we'd already agreed that any smooth, polished marble-like floor was tile, and any rough or uneven floor was stone?

Although its diffusemap suggested it might be rough, textures/darkmod/mansion/floor/manfloor01sh didn't have a normalmap, which indicated that it was flat and smooth. (either that, or somebody didn't bother give it a normalmap) I wasn't sure how to handle the conflicting information, so I asked for advice and was told to assume it's rough like stone.

The other cases are similar... none of them have normalmaps, indicating they may be smooth, but their diffusemaps don't look like polished stone, indicating they may not be. If nobody objects, I'll follow the previous decision and categorize them as stone.

Hmm, I made that particular texture, and I thought I did give it a subtle normalmap.

There are going to have to places where you just make a judgement call, Gil. Sometimes it just isn't going to be obvious, and that's ok. Players will learn eventually which is which.