The Dark Mod Forums

Torch/fire Related Requests For The Sound Department

SneaksieDave

If you have CVS access, please download and run torchtest.map. In it is a complex torch serving as a model for a single unified torch being worked on. You can extinguish this torch with a broadhead arrow (or fire arrow, ironically).

You see the flickering? It's a result of using a "_snd" type soundshader on the light entity (the sound is element_fire_torch). When the shader is of "_snd" type, the light level automatically adjusts to match the sound volume. But if you notice, it flickers a *bit* too strongly, and it's overall rather dark (despite setting the light level very high).

The request would be for a fire/torch burning sound which is more... normalized, if that makes sense, so the sound is more steady - so it doesn't spike and pop too much and make too many bright flares. And that it be overall loud enough that it makes the light believably bright. Believe it or not, in that map, that is almost full brightness. That would be a big problem for torches in real use. So perhaps 50%-100% louder. Either way it doesn't matter audibly - we can always turn the volume down on the light itself and it won't affect the light level at all. ^_^

Also, if we want to have different sound effects for torches and other fires, they'd all fall under the same consideration.

The other thing is just a question - we had a steam sound effect, something like element_steam - has that been removed? I have these temporarily set up using a machine steam sound.

I thought the sound effect was far too 'crackly' for a torch. Might work for a campfire with a lot of twigs and stuff in it, but a torch should have more of a 'whoosh' kind of flame sound.

it flickers a *bit* too strongly,

There were a few cases where the torch seemed to be pumping out flickers that looked more like lightning (the entire room went bright). Is that because of the sound? Definitely a much more subtle flickering would be desired, IMO.

I was thinking maybe we could have two versions of the sound: one that is more compressed for the light FX, but is muted to the player's hearing, and the other that is uncompressed but is not linked to the light, so that the pops & clicks don't make the light freak out. Maybe that is overkill.

I don't think the pops and clicks make sense for a small torch flame anyway, so if making a more subdued sound also makes the light more reasonable, then it's win-win.

We definitely need to make use of the _snd light textures - it accounts for any and every type of sound shader they might want to attach to a light, even if it's a zombie grumbling.

Let's see how a normalized, loud fire sound does; I'm pretty sure it'll work well. :)

Sound dept guys?

Sorry, not checking the board too often at the moment (still trying to check once a while and answer any questions. Oh, that reminds me, if you have a question, send a PM since I have email notification turned on, that way I'll answer for sure)

Not sure I can do this myself right now so if Schatten or drewb or Sax or anyone wants to have a go at it that'd be great. Reg. steam it's under ambient/environmental.

(Might be confusing as to why steam is there and fire aint but I was originally working under the assumption that we would build the game like Thief where we "hardcoded" sounds for torches and other special entities. Since torches and machines will probably be similar in how they are created (groups or prefabs in the editor) it might make sense to change this someday)

Definitely yes. Even machine_steamx seems too strong for a torch. A candle being put out with that sound would be comical. :) To have at least two weaker ones would be preferred.

Sounds like from the torchtest map, we also need a proper water arrow impact/splash sound. I believe the current one is a gruesome doom blood and guts or gibbing sound effect. :laugh: