The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod As A Prey?

Denny

Before you jump to conclusions I know this;

Darkmod will stay Doom3 true. It will probably be opensource in some years from now and so on. The topic I'm on is though.... When Darkmod is finished Prey will have been out for a while. I wonder; as Prey is based on the D3 engine, do you guys think that it will be possible to "try" convert Darkmod to Prey? Observe, I'm not talking about an official conversion here from the Darkmod team. It could just be fun to experiment with what Prey has to give. :) (like the portal-things) I know I actually read something about this in other threads but I don't remember that you actually brought up if it would be possible at all?

The thing that made me most happy about Thief was the mysterious things in that steam-punk world. Just think of;

the twisted places in Constantines mansion. Such things like rooms changing shape and being upside down were awesome.

Think of it like this; Portals in Prey are, what I understand, a texture with the portal feature. What could be simply made is to make the opening through a door as a portal, making you think you go into another room. As you continue further in you notice more and more that this couldn't be possible in the small house you actually entered. Making it more mysterious.

Wouldn't such a thing be a blast? :D

Let's have this thread made for speculating in how much possibilities the Prey version of the engine could add to the mod, for fun. :ph34r:

//I'm already sorry for anything I've might have done wrong this time, I'm just so hyped about Prey. :wacko:

Edited by Denny

It was extremely unusual, and when you walked in it made you think one of two things:

1: "WTF is up with my game?"

2: "uhh...WTF?"

For me it was the former lol.

For me it was "Woooooow, this seems like fun." combined with "uhh...WTF?". ;P

You don't need prey to use portals. There has already been a mod making Prey style portals in Doom 3.

As Fingernail said it hasn't been perfectly done. It's a performance issue as well. Also if that mod is getting it really well done, will the source be available? Almost doubtable.

That can change once we have the source.

No need to convert Dark Mod to Prey, just implement the best features of Prey in the Doom 3 engine.

Will that be possible? I mean, not everything will be available in the SDK no?

Edited by Denny

Will that be possible? I mean, not everything will be available in the SDK no?

Nono, SDK is not source code. Source code is access to the way D3 renders things, etc EVERYTHING. The SDK has limited "access" and thus you can't touch certain things such as the rendering engine. D3 is going open source in about 4 years.

It's quite complicated but basically particles are rendered BY the render engine and whatnot. So if you make a particle it's only an asset. But you cannot change the way it gets rendered. Well, unless the developers left access to it in the SDK etc.

Think of it like invisible ink. You know you wrote something there etc, but It's only near heat where you can actually see it.

You can do the same for Quake 4 and enemy territory thing can't you then? Pity not with FEAR.

Any idea?

Also I think someone said that there is a chance Doom3 will go opensource in 2 years...

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

You can do the same for Quake 4 and enemy territory thing can't you then? Pity not with FEAR.

Now I understand what you were talking about.

Yeah technically you can port it to Quake 4 or Quake Wars but it would still be a bitch probably. I believe they updated the engine a bit or changed it etc.

So it will be about 0.5-1.5 years after Darkmods release when we'll get the source? That might mean Darkmod v2? ;D

Just kidding. :P

:) It will mean the community will be able to fully craft their own Thief styled engine. They'll have access to the renderer and can maintain the engine to work on newer OS's and take advantage of new tech.

DX10? *drooool* :D

Not that I think that will happen, but still. ;D

It certainly won't, since

1) Doom 3 does not use DirectX, and

2) DX10 is overhyped Microsoft bullshit which will speed up games by 10x some time shortly after Mike Tyson gains a PhD in astrophysics and sixteen singing monkeys in tutus fly out of Steve Ballmer's arse.

But when I installed Doom 3 and Res of Evil it asked me to install DX9 b or c or whatever. I don't know how it all works though, maybe the regular game while playing doesn't really use it, but it needs it for some little thing

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It certainly won't, since

1) Doom 3 does not use DirectX, and

2) DX10 is overhyped Microsoft bullshit which will speed up games by 10x some time shortly after Mike Tyson gains a PhD in astrophysics and sixteen singing monkeys in tutus fly out of Steve Ballmer's arse.

Last time I heard anything they mentioned 6-8 times faster "at best". That's also with the new cards coming out supporting it. Totally new structure from base and hardware optimized for it; such speeds won't be impossible.

There's probably alot of crap-made code in the current version of DirectX that couldn't have been optimized without remaking it from base.

Overhyped; yes. Bullshit; not compared to DirectX today. :P